ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Illini Woes

Purple Pile Driver

Gold Member
May 14, 2014
Anywhere but the Rant Board
Has anyone had a worse year than Mike Thomas? Cvjinovich blasts Becky for alleged abuse of injured players. A women's soccer player sues the school for mishandling a concussion. A now the cherry on the cake a larger lawsuit by 7 women's basketball players over treatment and racial abuse.

Yet the school remains silent! Obsessed with fund raising and battling a little private school up north, they seem to have lost all control of the program. BTW Mike thanks for moving your "home" game to Chicago. Our State, our lawsuit.

Has anyone had a worse year than Mike Thomas? Cvjinovich blasts Becky for alleged abuse of injured players. A women's soccer player sues the school for mishandling a concussion. A now the cherry on the cake a larger lawsuit by 7 women's basketball players over treatment and racial abuse.

Yet the school remains silent! Obsessed with fund raising and battling a little private school up north, they seem to have lost all control of the program. BTW Mike thanks for moving your "home" game to Chicago. Our State, our lawsuit.

In a "probably related" note, their football recruiting also looks like garbage so far.

In a "probably related" note, their football recruiting also looks like garbage so far.

Not according to their board moderator, Doug Bucshon. He feels they have been recruiting at least as well as NU and even better than NU last year. Considering the best way to evaluate recruiting is how well players and teams do on the field, one has to wonder if he's right. In the past 3 years, Illinois against NU has gone from 14-50 (2012) to 34-37 (2013) to 47-33 (2014), and from 2 to 4 to 6 wins.

Just sayin'. We've GOT to right the ship, beat Illinois, and go bowling this year.

Their isn't a team in my opinion who treated us worst while going through the recruiting process than the Illini. Can't wait to kick their butts the next 5 years. The only thing I hate is that staff will probably be watching most the games on television.

Not according to their board moderator, Doug Bucshon. He feels they have been recruiting at least as well as NU and even better than NU last year. Considering the best way to evaluate recruiting is how well players and teams do on the field, one has to wonder if he's right. In the past 3 years, Illinois against NU has gone from 14-50 (2012) to 34-37 (2013) to 47-33 (2014), and from 2 to 4 to 6 wins.

Just sayin'. We've GOT to right the ship, beat Illinois, and go bowling this year.

We absolutely have to beat Illinois this year. It makes me very sad when we don't.

But their 2016 class is downright awful right now. Outside of Moran (who I would lay odds never sets foot in Champaign unless it's as an opposing player), their commitments have a grand total of one other BCS offer -- their TE commit had an offer from Iowa State. They have a surprising number of commitments for whom the Illini were their only reported offer. That's not a way to build or sustain succes in the B1G.

Reactions: CatsDad
We absolutely have to beat Illinois this year. It makes me very sad when we don't.

But their 2016 class is downright awful right now. Outside of Moran (who I would lay odds never sets foot in Champaign unless it's as an opposing player), their commitments have a grand total of one other BCS offer -- their TE commit had an offer from Iowa State. They have a surprising number of commitments for whom the Illini were their only reported offer. That's not a way to build or sustain succes in the B1G.

While I agree with you, they have done a nice job of finding quality underrecruited players like Dudek and Turner.

While I agree with you, they have done a nice job of finding quality underrecruited players like Dudek and Turner.
They offer almost every Illinois recruit. It isn't a nice job throwing out offers and then when recruits have no other offers, they commit to Illinois. Where else were these two recruits going to go. Dudek had North Dakota and Illinois State. Turner had Ball State. Granted the Illini blow, but I would still choose BIG football over those schools, even if Illinois has a worst coaching staff. Lucky for Illinois they turned out to be players.

They offer almost every Illinois recruit. It isn't a nice job throwing out offers and then when recruits have no other offers, they commit to Illinois. Where else were these two recruits going to go. Dudek had North Dakota and Illinois State. Turner had Ball State. Granted the Illini blow, but I would still choose BIG football over those schools, even if Illinois has a worst coaching staff. Lucky for Illinois they turned out to be players.
Luck being the operative word here. It took that staff an injury to their anointed choice at QB last year to figure out O'Toole was the best guy they had and he salvaged their season by extending plays and making great decisions on the run. Of course, they blew it by not redshirting him during Schelhase's senior season and now they are back to that statue they had in their first few games.

Luck being the operative word here. It took that staff an injury to their anointed choice at QB last year to figure out O'Toole was the best guy they had and he salvaged their season by extending plays and making great decisions on the run. Of course, they blew it by not redshirting him during Schelhase's senior season and now they are back to that statue they had in their first few games.
Anything positive that happens on the field of the Illini is not from good recruiting or coaching, it is from pure luck. And one would have to say that they aren't very lucky.

Speaking of Dudek and Illinois's issues with player treatment, he tore his ACL in April and Beckman said he could play midsession. That's like a 6 month recovery. Isn't that beyond unheard of? Hope they don't rush him back on the field too soon.

I am with Glades on this one. We cannot talk about how bad the Illini are or how much better we are until we turn the trend of the last three years around. We blame last year on injuries. But compared head-to-head, both teams had significant injuries coming into last season's game. We both lost starting quarterbacks. The difference was that the Illini had a back-up ready to play.

On paper, we should be dominating UI right now. The fact that we are not is worrisome.

Reactions: NJCat83588
I am with Glades on this one. We cannot talk about how bad the Illini are or how much better we are until we turn the trend of the last three years around. We blame last year on injuries. But compared head-to-head, both teams had significant injuries coming into last season's game. We both lost starting quarterbacks. The difference was that the Illini had a back-up ready to play.

On paper, we should be dominating UI right now. The fact that we are not is worrisome.

Completely agree. As much as people deride the Illini they own NU right now.

The difference was Illinois had more than 35 scholarship players dressed. Hell, we had a safety turned lineback playing CB on one side and on the other side was a 4th year player that hasn't played other than special teams that was honored on senior day/told he's not getting a 5th year. What receivers weren't playing? Prater, Christian Jones, Miles Shuler were out and Tony Jones and Vitale were limited. I mean you go 5 wide without your 5 best receivers nobody is going to look good.

Reactions: FakeFitz
I think I would personally be violently sick if we lose to the Illini in any of the years that Jango is with NU. Seriously do not like that staff. We have definitely out recruited them, and we have better coaches. I EXPECT to beat them every year .

Completely agree. As much as people deride the Illini they own NU right now.

Who was talking about our football team versus theirs? The point was they have an athletic department in apparent disarray. To say they own NU borders on ridiculous . We were banged up last year and got soundly thumped. Get over it. We won the previous 2 years including a 36 point shellacking when the. 4th string played. We won 8 of the last 12. My definition of owned differs if it consists of a 1 game string.

Who was talking about our football team versus theirs? The point was they have an athletic department in apparent disarray. To say they own NU borders on ridiculous . We were banged up last year and got soundly thumped. Get over it. We won the previous 2 years including a 36 point shellacking when the. 4th string played. We won 8 of the last 12. My definition of owned differs if it consists of a 1 game string.
Our 4th string played? It went a lot lower than that. I mean Bo Cisek had to well past #4 on our RB depth chart that year.

Reactions: DkeCat
One of my favorite pastimes is reading glades zing their central Illinois fans on the scout site.

My point is they were able to find excellent talent among players with hardly any offers. When you find excellent talent like those two WR's, who cares about stars and offers?

If the Illini aren't very lucky, then what luck do we have landing recruits with more offers and then getting whipped by and finishing below the Illini?

WE are NOT losing to the illiniI for the next 6 years. Part of NU problems have been injuries due to not having a full time nutritionist to help develop our players. We now have a full time nutritionist and a great strength and agility program. You will see our players develop faster and it will reduce injuries. The Coaches , players, recruits, fans, and parents of recruits want and expect to win. If we won every game and lost just one to the Illini , that would be a bad season to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
WE are NOT losing to the illiniI for the next 6 years. Part of NU problems have been injuries due to not having a full time nutritionist to help develop our players. We now have a full time nutritionist and a great strength and agility program. You will see our players develop faster and it will reduce injuries. The Coaches , players, recruits, fans, and parents of recruits want and expect to win. If we won every game and lost just one to the Illini , that would be a bad season to me.

This is the exact information that I did not know and I've been wondering. It would be absolutely appropriate to release hiring a full time nutritionist to the public and how the staff believes that will change the injury situation. I've been pissed as hell as to why the rash of injuries occurred and want to know what is changing. Haven't gotten a word about it.

Will this change things? I don't know. How does a nutrionist prevent a pulled hamstring or an ACL tear. No idea. I think what the team needs is yoga. Laugh if you want, but Stanford started doing it and their team has one of the lowest injury rates in the country and has less players out than the national average on a statistically significant basis since they brought in yoga. Minnesota is doing it too. On a personal anecdotal level, I had back pain for well over a decade. Started doing yoga a few years ago, I can't remember my back feeling as good as it does.

Reactions: nu08
This is the exact information that I did not know and I've been wondering. It would be absolutely appropriate to release hiring a full time nutritionist to the public and how the staff believes that will change the injury situation. I've been pissed as hell as to why the rash of injuries occurred and want to know what is changing. Haven't gotten a word about it.

Will this change things? I don't know. How does a nutrionist prevent a pulled hamstring or an ACL tear. No idea. I think what the team needs is yoga. Laugh if you want, but Stanford started doing it and their team has one of the lowest injury rates in the country and has less players out than the national average on a statistically significant basis since they brought in yoga. Minnesota is doing it too. On a personal anecdotal level, I had back pain for well over a decade. Started doing yoga a few years ago, I can't remember my back feeling as good as it does.
Who is laughing ? The IMG football team does Yoga among other strength and flexibility exercises. The nutritionist makes sure the athletes have the proper fuel and nutrition to heal, grow, and perform. They need it to put on lean muscle mass , it is their armor to protect from hits and also absorb punishment. If you are training hard and not getting the proper sleep , stretching, and nutrition you are increasing your risk of injury. More than anything a football teams needs to have a great player development program. Northwestern has taking great strides forward in this department . We have to match the top schools in player development.

Last edited:
Reactions: nu08

Yoga is simply a marketed form of calisthenics, a series of exercises the Prussian military perfected in 18th century and what many modern athletes pay short shrift at their peril. It does work but so do deliberate, regimented, and disciplined stretching sessions.

Yoga is simply a marketed form of calisthenics, a series of exercises the Prussian military perfected in 18th century and what many modern athletes pay short shrift at their peril. It does work but so do deliberate, regimented, and disciplined stretching sessions.
Yes but sometimes the packaging is everything. Where stretching is boring and a chore, "yoga" is kind of cool and has something of a theme.

When I was coaching, the kids hated conditioning day on Tuesdays. I did traditional wind sprints, suicides, etc. So, on pretty days, I switched to playing Ultimate Frisbee out in the quad. If you have never played, the game is comprised of non-stop running and sprinting. With a couple of rule modifications, they did much more sprinting during Frisbee than they ever had during normal conditioning but loved it.

The difference was Illinois had more than 35 scholarship players dressed. Hell, we had a safety turned lineback playing CB on one side and on the other side was a 4th year player that hasn't played other than special teams that was honored on senior day/told he's not getting a 5th year. What receivers weren't playing? Prater, Christian Jones, Miles Shuler were out and Tony Jones and Vitale were limited. I mean you go 5 wide without your 5 best receivers nobody is going to look good.
The difference is that everyone deals with injuries, excuses are for losers, and Illinois got two extra weeks of practice after handing it to us on our home field despite NU also having a bowl game opportunity on the line.

As a fan, that was probably my most disappointing game, even if mid December bowl games don't really matter that much. (Duke '06 streak buster is up there too...)

The difference is that everyone deals with injuries, excuses are for losers, and Illinois got two extra weeks of practice after handing it to us on our home field despite NU also having a bowl game opportunity on the line.

As a fan, that was probably my most disappointing game, even if mid December bowl games don't really matter that much. (Duke '06 streak buster is up there too...)

No team in the country is going to win with 35 active scholarship players. That's not an excuse, it's a fact. Florida lost to Georgia Southern in 2013 when they had a similar injury situtation. Georgia Southern didn't even complete a pass that game.

So crap on the team if you want. Say Fitz can't coach or the program is in shambles. If you need to vent go for it, but this is the same group of coaches that lead the team to 10 wins in 2012. What changed? 2012 we were insanely healthy. 2013 and 2014 we were insanely unhealthy.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
No team in the country is going to win with 35 active scholarship players. That's not an excuse, it's a fact. Florida lost to Georgia Southern in 2013 when they had a similar injury situtation. Georgia Southern didn't even complete a pass that game.

So crap on the team if you want. Say Fitz can't coach or the program is in shambles. If you need to vent go for it, but this is the same group of coaches that lead the team to 10 wins in 2012. What changed? 2012 we were insanely healthy. 2013 and 2014 we were insanely unhealthy.

And at times the play calling was insanely bad.

My point is they were able to find excellent talent among players with hardly any offers. When you find excellent talent like those two WR's, who cares about stars and offers?

If the Illini aren't very lucky, then what luck do we have landing recruits with more offers and then getting whipped by and finishing below the Illini?

Bad injury luck.

Winning one game against a first-time starting QB who turned over the ball five times is "owning?"

They won the last game by two TDs and have now won 3 out of the last 5 meetings. Yes, they think they own us now. We are penciled in as a sure win for many Illinois fans.

I can't take it anymore! We NEED a win against the Illini or Fitz better start looking for a good realtor.

The team does extensive flexibility work as it is.

They may do flexibility work, but they just recently got a full time nutritionist. That will help a great deal in developing players, thus reducing injuries.

I understand that. I ate at the training table for years and what they have now is light years from what it was.

In my opinion, it's crapping on the team if you think back to back 5-7 is good enough.

And at times the play calling was insanely bad.
Ever think that the play calling was limited due to having a back up QB in the game, or being so far down the depth chart at the WR/SB positions? Not to mention that the option game was taken out of our arsenal because Oliver isn't that type of QB.

I love everyone on here pissing on the Michigan game play calling because a color commentary suggested rolling the pocket. We did it late and it worked, but did you think we really wanted to have a QB on a bum ankle rolling out 40 times a game. Probably not.

In my opinion, it's crapping on the team if you think back to back 5-7 is good enough.
It's not good enough. That was our record and we own it. Fitz and crew are going back to work to make next year better. Posting stupidity on the internet like Illinois owns Northwestern or failing to acknowledge that a string of injuries and Mark's transfer 2 weeks before the season was a huge reason why we were 5-7 is just something I expect everyone to be above.

Ever think that the play calling was limited due to having a back up QB in the game, or being so far down the depth chart at the WR/SB positions? Not to mention that the option game was taken out of our arsenal because Oliver isn't that type of QB.

I love everyone on here pissing on the Michigan game play calling because a color commentary suggested rolling the pocket. We did it late and it worked, but did you think we really wanted to have a QB on a bum ankle rolling out 40 times a game. Probably not.

I'm talking about throughout the season. And yes, I do think our play calling was somewhat constrained by injuries (I was the first person to suggest that on these boards), but that was not the case during the first 3 quarters of the Michigan game. We hardly ran the option all season, and Oliver should be able to run the option effectively if he's our QB even if he is slow.

Come on, shakes! Rolling out is not all that stressful, and he did just fine when he rolled out in the 4th quarter. Should our coaches be sued Illini-style for putting Siemian in physical jeopardy? Fitz and the program are not going to give you free tickets for defending the indefensible, a loss to the Illini. Accepting and making excuses for a loss to Illinois is something I would have thought would be beneath a true NU fan. Fitz's job should be on the line if he loses to Illinois again this season!

The recruiting class of 2016 is coming to NU to set new standards on and off the field. We are coming to win. Losing to the Illini will never be accepted.

The recruiting class of 2016 is coming to NU to set new standards on and off the field. We are coming to win. Losing to the Illini will never be accepted.

I have a question for you. What was your son told about the status of the Lakefront Indoor facility? How big of a factor was/is it in his and other recruits decision to commit? When do YOU think it will be ready for use?

I have a question for you. What was your son told about the status of the Lakefront Indoor facility? How big of a factor was/is it in his and other recruits decision to commit? When do YOU think it will be ready for use?
+ 1000

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT