ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Urge Overkill

MotownMedilldo

Jan 13, 2004
Last edited:
Reactions: drewjin and DkeCat
Cool. I think you, @phatcat @Titanium999 myself and several others matriculated in 1980.

1981 for me. Lived at Foster Walker my first year, and I don't remember seeing any of the live music scene on campus that year, but the next year (82-83) I lived in Jones (which was brand new then), where we had a little theatre, and they had campus bands performing and other events all the time. Loved that dorm.

Saw this article after learning that drummer Blackie Onassis died earlier this week.

I knew legendary producer Steve Albini attended NU, but had no idea Nash and Eddie did. Saturation takes me back to the still-seedy Wicker Park of my undergrad years in the early 90s.

“He overdosed and was saved by an adrenalin shot”: How Urge Overkill went from being Steve Albini’s pet project to year-long parties and accidentally re-enacting that famous scene from Pulp Fiction
Blackie's second nickname was the Plough per Nash and Eddie after seeing them play at the DePaul Blue Demon Room in ~1988 with free tickets from WNUR. In the Sister Havana video you can see how the Plough earned his name. He is totally bend over his drums. All the closeups of Blackie are from below.

Last edited:
I had finally weaned myself off this board last summer. Got more sun, better physical condition, built stronger personal relationships, and then the hazing scandal pulled me back in. In the interim, I missed this thread.

I saw King Roeser’s band Electric Airlines open for Guided by Voices in July of ‘98 at Metro, a few months before starting at NU.

GbV introduced me to a whole new world from the first strum and lilting vocal melody of “Teenage FBI.” Nothing like the thrill of a perfect, sweaty rock show.

Electric Airlines was boring. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: MotownMedilldo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT