ADVERTISEMENT

OT was the Maryland Free Throw show

Cat-Court-Jester

Jan 6, 2006
This is the first OT, not the second. NU was up throughout, so there was no intentional fouling. Maryland shot 9 FREE THROWS in the 5 minute overtime. NU shot... zero Free Throws.

Second OT, Beran goes up with contact, Greer has contact, Young goes up with contact, Maryland steps under Pete Nance as he's landing, on and on. In the second OT, NU shot... zero Free Throws.

Sure NU had many chances to win. And yes, I'm a broken record on this topic. This is because the Big 10 refs do it again... and again... and again.

Free Throw differential was pretty even most of the game. Maryland eventually figured out that every time they drove the ball, they could just jump into an NU defender (even while in "legal guarding position" as Buie was repeatedly) and they would get the call, head to the line. Every single time. Maryland scored more points on Free Throws (7) in the first OT than they did from the field (4). They didn't score a field goal in the first OT until 1:21 left. Free throws are what kept them in the game, and at least three of the fouls were extremely questionable.

In Maryland's other three Big Ten games this year, they've never had more than 20 Free Throws in a game, and they are -3 compared to their Big 10 opponents.

In two games against NU? Maryland has shot 60 FREE THROWS. To NU's 27. Differential... +33 for Maryland. It matters, folks.

You can say "NU's defenders don't move their feet"... but against Wake Forest, Georgia, Providence... major conference schools, on neutral floors or away, and ***not with Big 10 refs***... in those games, NU's Free Throw differential is almost even, and opponents averaged 18 Free Throws.

Big 10 officiating routinely hurts NU, and helps our Big 10 opponents when they play NU. Big 10 game, after game, after game. This ain't changing.

There’s some merit on complaining about how we get no respect. For me the worst call of the game was the one that gave Audige his 4th.

Still, late in the game it seemed, at least to me, that the Maryland players had a lot more legs left than ours. And that had a huge impact. Beyond fouls, the 3 or 4 offensive rebound possession MD had was a visible example of it.

Reactions: ParisCat
This is the first OT, not the second. NU was up throughout, so there was no intentional fouling. Maryland shot 9 FREE THROWS in the 5 minute overtime. NU shot... zero Free Throws.

Second OT, Beran goes up with contact, Greer has contact, Young goes up with contact, Maryland steps under Pete Nance as he's landing, on and on. In the second OT, NU shot... zero Free Throws.

Sure NU had many chances to win. And yes, I'm a broken record on this topic. This is because the Big 10 refs do it again... and again... and again.

Free Throw differential was pretty even most of the game. Maryland eventually figured out that every time they drove the ball, they could just jump into an NU defender (even while in "legal guarding position" as Buie was repeatedly) and they would get the call, head to the line. Every single time. Maryland scored more points on Free Throws (7) in the first OT than they did from the field (4). They didn't score a field goal in the first OT until 1:21 left. Free throws are what kept them in the game, and at least three of the fouls were extremely questionable.

In Maryland's other three Big Ten games this year, they've never had more than 20 Free Throws in a game, and they are -3 compared to their Big 10 opponents.

In two games against NU? Maryland has shot 60 FREE THROWS. To NU's 27. Differential... +33 for Maryland. It matters, folks.

You can say "NU's defenders don't move their feet"... but against Wake Forest, Georgia, Providence... major conference schools, on neutral floors or away, and ***not with Big 10 refs***... in those games, NU's Free Throw differential is almost even, and opponents averaged 18 Free Throws.

Big 10 officiating routinely hurts NU, and helps our Big 10 opponents when they play NU. Big 10 game, after game, after game. This ain't changing.
Just no. That's an awful take. Just in the last minutes of the game - the travel no call on Nance in OT, the two Maryland players knocked to the floor on the Nance three in the last minute of regulation, and the floppy flagrant at the end of regulation that gave NU life in the first place all scream "That's a ridiculous whine!"

The game was giftwrapped for NU to take and the team didn't accept the present.

Just no. That's an awful take. Just in the last minutes of the game - the travel no call on Nance in OT, the two Maryland players knocked to the floor on the Nance three in the last minute of regulation, and the floppy flagrant at the end of regulation that gave NU life in the first place all scream "That's a ridiculous whine!"

The game was giftwrapped for NU to take and the team didn't accept the present.
And I could list a dozen questionable calls against NU, including a travel on Maryland 2OT that wasn't called (Fatts Russell in the backcourt, leaves both his feet and then initiates a first dribble, can't do that). Just because the announcers don't focus on it doesn't mean it didn't happen. The Ryan Greer "box out" call that gifted Maryland 2 more free throws after an NU defensive rebound: both players had hands on each other, both players in equal position with regard to the hoop, and the rebound didn't even bounce near them. Another call against NU, more free throws for Maryland.

Also... did you say a "floppy flagrant" when Beran literally get clocked with an elbow? That looked like retaliation? That is what you label "floppy"... wow.

I don't generally get into the individual calls, because those are all subjective. However, what is objective & statistical is the number of fouls called, and the free throws awarded.

Ask yourself: why is it against non-conference opponents with neutral refs, does NU get an even whistle (literally each of Wake Forest, Providence, and Georgia... the foul differential in each game was either 1 or 2)... but then enter the Big 10 refs... now suddenly we have a foul differential of 31 to 19.

Maybe NU's legs were tired against Maryland, on multiple days rest, but not against Georgia when they literally played the night before. Or maybe, just maybe... the games are officiated differently.

"The game was giftwrapped for NU to take and the team didn't accept the present." >>> That I agree with, 100%. Does not change the objective facts regarding how NU is officiated by Big 10 refs. It's different. And the statistics show a clear pattern, year after year.

Reactions: drewjin
I don't generally get into the individual calls, because those are all subjective.
Yeah, I can totally see how you don't get into individual calls. :rolleyes:
Losers whine about the refs, particularly in a game where their team gave the game away.

I'm very glad that CCC seems to be a coach who actually does not "get into the individual calls" and instead focuses on what the team can do to better take advantage of the opportunities they have to win. That's actual the difference between the team winning and losing games...not the refs.

@ Hoosboot

I find that analyzing individual calls in great detail is a fruitless exercise, hence I don't do it. There will ALWAYS be calls in every game, that one side feels should have gone their way. Instead, I focus on statistics. I also don't engage in ad hominem attacks, because that, too, is fruitless.

You can look at the statistics around Foul Differential and Free Throw Differential, particularly comparing major conference opponents versus Big 10 opponents, and with those statistics you can see what is happening with Big 10 officiating as it relates to NU. NU gets very different treatment from neutral referees compared to Big 10 referees. I analyzed it in great detail over the past two seasons.

Or you can simply label the analysis "whining", point out a few calls you feel went one way or another, attack the messenger, etc.

Did NU have opportunities that it squandered? Absolutely. You know who else squandered opportunities? Maryland. Big time. And objectively they did not play well in OT. With 1:30 left in the first OT NU has scored 4 FGs, for 9 points. Maryland hadn't made a single FG. But all the FTs kept them in it, possession after possession, refs would give them the benefit of the whistle.

In hindsight it looks like NU "squandered" opportunities, or as you say the winning team "takes advantage of the opportunities they have to win"... Maryland couldn't score in OT other than from the FT line! They also could have been said to "give away" the game, but what they "took advantage of" was the refs whistle, repeatedly. 38 FTs for Maryland, 18 for NU. 31 fouls against NU, 19 against Maryland.

Maryland is NOT a team that shoots many more FTs than its opponents! Against its three major conference non-conference opponents (Louisville, Virginia Tech, Florida), it had a negative FT differential. In Big 10 play, Maryland has a slightly negative FT differential, it has had a FT differential that's minimal in every Big 10 game. Maryland plays NU and suddenly it's FT differential jumps up, +20 in this game!!

With a more even whistle, I have no doubt NU would have "taken advantage of opportunities" to win the game. But while all of the subjective can go around and around... the actual objective facts demonstrate that when NU plays opponents with Big 10 refs, that is a vastly different experience, versus neutral refs. The numbers are the numbers, you can label the analysis "whining" all you want, point out some examples, and attack the messenger, sure you can do that. But if you want to think critically, the numbers will tell you what's happening here.

@ Hoosboot

I find that analyzing individual calls in great detail is a fruitless exercise, hence I don't do it. There will ALWAYS be calls in every game, that one side feels should have gone their way. Instead, I focus on statistics. I also don't engage in ad hominem attacks, because that, too, is fruitless.

You can look at the statistics around Foul Differential and Free Throw Differential, particularly comparing major conference opponents versus Big 10 opponents, and with those statistics you can see what is happening with Big 10 officiating as it relates to NU. NU gets very different treatment from neutral referees compared to Big 10 referees. I analyzed it in great detail over the past two seasons.

Or you can simply label the analysis "whining", point out a few calls you feel went one way or another, attack the messenger, etc.

Did NU have opportunities that it squandered? Absolutely. You know who else squandered opportunities? Maryland. Big time. And objectively they did not play well in OT. With 1:30 left in the first OT NU has scored 4 FGs, for 9 points. Maryland hadn't made a single FG. But all the FTs kept them in it, possession after possession, refs would give them the benefit of the whistle.

In hindsight it looks like NU "squandered" opportunities, or as you say the winning team "takes advantage of the opportunities they have to win"... Maryland couldn't score in OT other than from the FT line! They also could have been said to "give away" the game, but what they "took advantage of" was the refs whistle, repeatedly. 38 FTs for Maryland, 18 for NU. 31 fouls against NU, 19 against Maryland.

Maryland is NOT a team that shoots many more FTs than its opponents! Against its three major conference non-conference opponents (Louisville, Virginia Tech, Florida), it had a negative FT differential. In Big 10 play, Maryland has a slightly negative FT differential, it has had a FT differential that's minimal in every Big 10 game. Maryland plays NU and suddenly it's FT differential jumps up, +20 in this game!!

With a more even whistle, I have no doubt NU would have "taken advantage of opportunities" to win the game. But while all of the subjective can go around and around... the actual objective facts demonstrate that when NU plays opponents with Big 10 refs, that is a vastly different experience, versus neutral refs. The numbers are the numbers, you can label the analysis "whining" all you want, point out some examples, and attack the messenger, sure you can do that. But if you want to think critically, the numbers will tell you what's happening here.
You aren't thinking critically. You aren't analyzing anything. You are thinking like a fan who is desperate for his team to perform better than it does and looking for excuses. It couldn't be that game play dictates the disparity. It has to be that the Wildcats don't get fair treatment from the refs.

I'm not "labeling" it whining. That IS whining.

Reactions: NUCat320
You may not like the analysis of Foul Differential and Free Throw Differential, but that doesn't mean it's not analysis.

These are numbers I've presented, but to ensure it's as "analytical" as can be for you, here it is in Excel form:

Northwestern
OUT OF CONFERENCE
OppConf RefereesNU v Opp Foul DifferentialNU v Opp Free Throw Differential
ProvidenceNon Big 10
-1​
-4​
GeorgiaNon Big 10
-2​
-10​
Wake ForestNon Big 10
1​
0​
AVG: -0.66AVG: -4.66
BIG 10
MarylandBig 10
-5​
-13​
MSUBig 10
1​
-3​
PSUBig 10
-4​
-11​
OSUBig 10
-4​
-10​
MarylandBig 10
-11​
-20​
AVG: -4.6AVG: -11.4
Maryland
OOC (Major Conference)
Opp
Va Tech
-1​
Lousiville
-2​
Florida
1​
AVG: -0.66​
Big 10 ( not NU )
Iowa
-2​
Illinois
2​
Wisconsin
-3​
AVG: -1
Big 10 ( NU )
Northwestern
13​
Northwestern
20​
AVG: +16.5

The data is telling us, with regard to Northwestern:

- NU gets very different outcomes from Big 10 officiating and Non-Conference (to be sure there's no bias in opponent selection, I include only the major conference opponents, although I see for NU v small conference foes, NU even with FT Differential).

- With "neutral" referees, outside the Big 10, NU is generally pretty even when it comes to fouls and free throws. However, when NU has Big 10 opponents, and Big 10 referees, this shifts dramatically.

Some might say "well that's due to style of play, Maryland probably draws a lot of fouls and commits few, compared to their opponents."

Well... no. The data is telling us, with regard to Maryland:

- Maryland is NOT a team that generally shoot more Free Throws than its opponents.

- With "neutral" referees, outside the Big 10, Maryland is extremely even when it come to fouls and free throws. The same is true for other Big 10 teams, Maryland is very even. However, against NU, it's statistically a very, very different story.

Again, you may not like the statistical comparison of Big 10 officiating outcomes versus Non-Conference, but that doesn't mean it's whining. These are the raw numbers, and they tell the story. Sorry if that upsets you, they aren't my numbers, these came from the actual games.

You may not like the analysis of Foul Differential and Free Throw Differential, but that doesn't mean it's not analysis.

These are numbers I've presented, but to ensure it's as "analytical" as can be for you, here it is in Excel form:

Northwestern
OUT OF CONFERENCE
OppConf RefereesNU v Opp Foul DifferentialNU v Opp Free Throw Differential
ProvidenceNon Big 10
-1​
-4​
GeorgiaNon Big 10
-2​
-10​
Wake ForestNon Big 10
1​
0​
AVG: -0.66AVG: -4.66
BIG 10
MarylandBig 10
-5​
-13​
MSUBig 10
1​
-3​
PSUBig 10
-4​
-11​
OSUBig 10
-4​
-10​
MarylandBig 10
-11​
-20​
AVG: -4.6AVG: -11.4
Maryland
OOC (Major Conference)
Opp
Va Tech
-1​
Lousiville
-2​
Florida
1​
AVG: -0.66​
Big 10 ( not NU )
Iowa
-2​
Illinois
2​
Wisconsin
-3​
AVG: -1
Big 10 ( NU )
Northwestern
13​
Northwestern
20​
AVG: +16.5

The data is telling us, with regard to Northwestern:

- NU gets very different outcomes from Big 10 officiating and Non-Conference (to be sure there's no bias in opponent selection, I include only the major conference opponents, although I see for NU v small conference foes, NU even with FT Differential).

- With "neutral" referees, outside the Big 10, NU is generally pretty even when it comes to fouls and free throws. However, when NU has Big 10 opponents, and Big 10 referees, this shifts dramatically.

Some might say "well that's due to style of play, Maryland probably draws a lot of fouls and commits few, compared to their opponents."

Well... no. The data is telling us, with regard to Maryland:

- Maryland is NOT a team that generally shoot more Free Throws than its opponents.

- With "neutral" referees, outside the Big 10, Maryland is extremely even when it come to fouls and free throws. The same is true for other Big 10 teams, Maryland is very even. However, against NU, it's statistically a very, very different story.

Again, you may not like the statistical comparison of Big 10 officiating outcomes versus Non-Conference, but that doesn't mean it's whining. These are the raw numbers, and they tell the story. Sorry if that upsets you, they aren't my numbers, these came from the actual games.
Your problem is that the data isn't telling you that. Raw numbers don't tell a story. People do. You're reaching a conclusion based upon what you want to believe. The only variable that you've seriously considered is "I don't like that Northwestern loses".

I'm not the one that is upset. It's the guy whining about the super unfair refs cheating these noble Wildcats that is bent. Thankfully, CCC is more focused on players making free throws in the clutch, rebounding the basketball after a tough defensive stop, and running offense when the game is late and close.

Last edited:
Your problem is that the data isn't telling you that. Raw numbers don't tell a story. People do. You're reaching a conclusion based upon what you want to believe. The only variable that you've seriously considered is "I don't like that Northwestern loses".

I'm not that one that is upset. It's the guy whining about the super unfair refs cheating these noble Wildcats that is bent. Thankfully, CCC is more focused on players making free throws in the clutch, rebounding the basketball after a tough defensive stop, and running offense when the game is late and close.
Amazing you can disagree with these data-driven observations and label a guy for it. That’s much worse than whining.

Amazing you can disagree with these data-driven observations and label a guy for it. That’s much worse than whining.
It rained a lot here the last few weeks and my kid got straight A's on his report card that just came. Must have been the rain that caused it.

You're really bad at "data". Whiners complain about the refs as an explanation for their team's misfortune. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: EagerFan
It rained a lot here the last few weeks and my kid got straight A's on his report card that just came. Must have been the rain that caused it.

You're really bad at "data". Whiners complain about the refs as an explanation for their team's misfortune. ;)

I guess I can be happy for you that you thrive and get some joy in hurling lies and insults.
I guess I can be happy for you that you thrive and get some joy in hurling lies and insults.

Last edited:
Cool story. You were so happy, you typed it twice.

What are the lies?

But, most importantly, where is the joy? There's no joy in watching other people whine. It's painful.

Your reality is calling people names (whiners) and also spouting untruths (lies - “data”), even/especially in light of the reasonable arguments they make, so it must be something you en(joy).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT