ADVERTISEMENT

OTish: Wisconsin observation

NUCat320

Dec 4, 2005
Sam Dekker was so clearly the best player on the court last night. He hit a few threes against NU, but I had never seen him as a future NBA player and as a top recruit as he was touted until last night's game. Aggressive, athletic, and owned the final ten minutes (though that spurt from the third-string PG was fun too.)

Kaminsky is a tremendous player and should be player of the year, but Dekker was just awesome.

There are some nights that Dekker doesn't appear to be motivated, but last night obviously wasn't one of them, and that was a good thing for Wisconsin. It's hard to believe that 23 points is his career high, given his athletic ability. I still think he'd benefit from another year in college as his shot is erratic, but he'll probably go.

Dekker is projected as a first round nba pick (Nos. 20-25). He might go higher if he has good games v. UofA and UK. He is a 6'9" athletic SF who was a McDonald's All-American (top 24 h.s. players in the nation). UNC is not known for their defense and their main priority was to control Kaminsky. If he is a NBA draft pick at no. 20, he would make $1.2 million next year. He could always finish his degree later. My guess is he goes pro.

Some of the negativity about Dekker as a prospect and college player has always astonished me. He's athletic, has good size, and is a plus in all 3 major areas (scoring, rebounding, and defense). He can guard 4 positions in college, and will likely handle 3 in the pros. Why doesn't that make him a significant asset for UW and a 1st rd pro prospect? Because at one time he was a McDAA? The advanced hype is immaterial, and anyways he wasn't a McDAA. He was 5* but played in one of the lesser all star games. He could go pro this year, probably will, and it'll pay off. But I'd say it's only about 2:1. His buddy Kaminsky returned and doesn't regret it, Dekker likes college too, and he was open about changing the standard at UW. I could envision him coming back, competing for another national championship, and trying to bridge the gap to the next generation. But I'd advise him to take the money because you never know what can happen.

It was reported last summer he held his own against Lebron James in scrimmages.

Dekker was no. 12 recruit in the nation out of high school in 2012 and a 2012 Parade All-American. He was the state of Wisconsin player of the year and from my vague recollection, the highest rated recruit in Bo Ryan's career. If he was not named to the McDonald's All-American team that was my mistake.

Originally posted by NUCat320:
Sam Dekker was so clearly the best player on the court last night. He hit a few threes against NU, but I had never seen him as a future NBA player and as a top recruit as he was touted until last night's game. Aggressive, athletic, and owned the final ten minutes (though that spurt from the third-string PG was fun too.)

Kaminsky is a tremendous player and should be player of the year, but Dekker was just awesome.
Maybe you just hadn't seen him play enough (I watch Wisconsin as much as I can). Last night was really a showcase performance for Decker, though. I thought he was an NBA caliber player because of his athleticism and basketball skills. I think he's a more NBA-ready player than Kaminsky is right now and wouldn't be surprised if he is drafted well ahead of Kaminsky.

While a terrific college player, I think Kaminsky will need a few years to modify his game to compete and reach his peak in the NBA, but will end up being a very good versatile center much like Pau Gasol. He would fit in well with the Spurs style of play, perhaps taking over for Duncan when he retires.

He wasn't the highest rated recruit in Bo's career. Butch was. He was #7 and a McDAA.

This post was edited on 3/27 7:47 PM by bernman23

Originally posted by TejasCat:
It was reported last summer he held his own against Lebron James in scrimmages.
It was reported that John Shurna held his own against Mr.Lamar Kardashian in scrimmages. The college kids try like it's game 7 of the NBA finals. There's NBA coaches and GMs there. They want to get noticed. The pros half ass it like it's a summer scrimmage and they're just trying to get some work in and stay in shape. Then the pro gets in front of the reporters and says some nice things about a 20 year kids that are really doing them a favor by providing bodies to play against. The fans get all excited about how great the kid is... and he's still the same player he was.

Dekker has a bright future in front of him... but I'm sure Lebron would own him given a similar effort on the court.

I've always felt the only guy who could hold Dekker under 20 points in a game was Bo Ryan.

This post was edited on 3/31 2:25 PM by LeftyLarry

That shot last night was spectacular. He looked like a top ten pick, again.

I don't think Dekker can fail in the NBA.

He's not known as a defender but he actually is quite a good one. He's 2nd on the team in blocked shots and he gets ALL of his in a man to man situation, right in the other guys face.
Additionally, he has 40 fouls the entire season, that's in 38 games. LOL

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT