ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State Consultant

loyolacat

Gold Member
Oct 21, 2006
PSU hired former NFL coach Jim Haslet as a consultant. What is the deal? Are there rules on number of coaches? How does a consultant differ from a coach? Is this just a pr move? Or is this just (insert bad word) Franklin trying to get another edge>

I wondered the same thing...I'm inclined to think as a consultant he may not be able to physically be present at practices to yell at players or use certain facilities (or whatever). I know that Baz and I think Persa have "worked" with our QBs but again I think this was outside of official, NU-sanctioned practices.

It could be he doesn't get the benefits (like health care coverage, etc.) of a full-fledged coach.

I don't know what the rules are regarding coaching staffs, but I doubt there are any limits on numbers judging from the size of some of the staffs. Just another advantage that the big-money schools have.

I don't know what the rules are regarding coaching staffs, but I doubt there are any limits on numbers judging from the size of some of the staffs. Just another advantage that the big-money schools have.

In fact, there ARE limits on full time coaches. NU is at the limit, as are every big time program.

I would expect that Haslett is there to be an extra mind, rather than be an extra body on film. Per NCAA regulations, if he's not a coach, he'll be allowed to be present at practice but only from the sidelines. He won't be able to coach or participate in drills. On game day, He would be allowed to be on a headset.

However his value will come in staff meetings, film review and game planning. Having a mind like that on staff can only be of benefit to Penn State.

I would expect that Haslett is there to be an extra mind, rather than be an extra body on film. Per NCAA regulations, if he's not a coach, he'll be allowed to be present at practice but only from the sidelines. He won't be able to coach or participate in drills. On game day, He would be allowed to be on a headset.

However his value will come in staff meetings, film review and game planning. Having a mind like that on staff can only be of benefit to Penn State.

If only Fitz could hire Turk to sit in and offer advice at meetings, we'd be B1G Ten champs again.

Reactions: BBuck and rmndcat
OK we all know this is an arms race...so how do we match this move? How bout Bill Parcells??????

If only Fitz could hire Turk to sit in and offer advice at meetings, we'd be B1G Ten champs again.

Wait a minute. That's our problem. We did listen to Turk's advice. We used his ranking and grades to determine our starters.

Problem solved. Sorry Turk!

OK we all know this is an arms race...so how do we match this move? How bout Bill Parcells??????
I'm 100% serious when I say this and it's gonna get laughed at but I don't care... How about Rick Venturi for defense and Dennis Green on offense?

I'm 100% serious when I say this and it's gonna get laughed at but I don't care... How about Rick Venturi for defense and Dennis Green on offense?

You are off your frigging rocker.

You are off your frigging rocker.
If Dennis Green had been given the administration support that Barnett got a bit of and Fitz is getting he would have been one of the best NU coaches of all time, right behind Ara and Barnett. Venturi was a very successful NFL position coach and just maybe could help Brown out.

There are about a hundred guys I would rather have as consultants before those guys.

There are about a hundred guys I would rather have as consultants before those guys.
A guy with a 13 year NFL head coaching career that came up under Bill Walsh and mentored 2 coaches that went on to win Super Bowls.

A guy that had a 36 year NFL career as an LB/DB coach and a DC and was the head coach for 19 NFL games in interim stints.

I mean I'd rather have Bill Belichick, Pete Carroll, Tony Dungy, the ghost of Bill Walsh and Don Shula, but I don't think we're going to get any of those guys so I'm not going to turn my nose up at Venturi and Green.

A guy with a 13 year NFL head coaching career that came up under Bill Walsh and mentored 2 coaches that went on to win Super Bowls.

A guy that had a 36 year NFL career as an LB/DB coach and a DC and was the head coach for 19 NFL games in interim stints.

I mean I'd rather have Bill Belichick, Pete Carroll, Tony Dungy, the ghost of Bill Walsh and Don Shula, but I don't think we're going to get any of those guys so I'm not going to turn my nose up at Venturi and Green.

Yes.

Reactions: 60657Cat
I would hire Mike Singletary. Maybe he wasn't HC material in the NFL but he would be a beast on the recruiting trail.

For goodness sakes the guy is a professional motivational speaker (his job before coaching gigs) and an ordained minister. He would clean up in recruits living rooms. Mom would love the minister part, Father and son would want to check out the championship rings on his fingers.

I am amazed his name doesn't come up when college coaches are let go. But I'm just a fan so wadda I know?

Reactions: Ubermorgen
I would hire Mike Singletary. Maybe he wasn't HC material in the NFL but he would be a beast on the recruiting trail.

For goodness sakes the guy is a professional motivational speaker (his job before coaching gigs) and an ordained minister. He would clean up in recruits living rooms. Mom would love the minister part, Father and son would want to check out the championship rings on his fingers.

I am amazed his name doesn't come up when college coaches are let go. But I'm just a fan so wadda I know?

You might be onto something... except he wouldn't be able to recruit as a consultant.

I have always liked Singletary too but I don't know what it takes to do those jobs so I have no idea if he would be a good fit.

I am not his agent (just a NU fan from the 80s who saw the Samurai play at Soldier) but here is what I would say if I was.

* Professiona Motivational Speker.
* Not a great NFL head coach. Hello Nick Saban, Go Dolphins!?
* 10 time pro bowler.
* NFL football hall of fame.
* College football hall of fame.
* Baylor sports hall of fame
* Ordained minister.
* NFL Pro Bowl - Ten Times
* Davey Obrien Award Winner.

Quite honestly I think this is who the Illini should hire if they fire Beckman, I think he would tear it up;.

Shush
I am not his agent (just a NU fan from the 80s who saw the Samurai play at Soldier) but here is what I would say if I was.

* Professiona Motivational Speker.
* Not a great NFL head coach. Hello Nick Saban, Go Dolphins!?
* 10 time pro bowler.
* NFL football hall of fame.
* College football hall of fame.
* Baylor sports hall of fame
* Ordained minister.
* NFL Pro Bowl - Ten Times
* Davey Obrien Award Winner.

Quite honestly I think this is who the Illini should hire if they fire Beckman, I think he would tear it up;.
Shush!

PSU hired former NFL coach Jim Haslet as a consultant. What is the deal? Are there rules on number of coaches? How does a consultant differ from a coach? Is this just a pr move? Or is this just (insert bad word) Franklin trying to get another edge>

Funny - I almost had a bar fight with him when he was with Buffalo. He threatened to hit me with a bottle after I told a friend his girl was cheating on him with Haslet. At least the Bills were good back then

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT