ADVERTISEMENT

Putting Michigan into Perspective, at least on the Karma Front

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
As we focus on our next opponent, Michigan it is always helpful to learn about the opposition. While I see some here have been calling for some Alaska moose sightings to hopefully add past proven karma, it is noteworthy to learn that Michigan too has moose. While hardly matching Maine's some 7,000 (and definitely less than Alaska's 200,000) their Upper Peninsula is home to an estimated 325 of the ungulates.

On the waterfront, Michigan does rise to a number two position. While Alaska's 46,600 mile coast line is itself larger than the combined coast line of the rest of the United States, Michigan's 3,288 miles of shoreline does qualify as the longest of any other state. Reportedly, Michigan's territorial waters are second in area only to those of Alaska.

Now when it comes to mountains though there is no comparison. Alaska's tallest mountain, Denali, rises to over 20,000 feet while Michigan's tallest, Mount Arvon, at 1,979 feet, can't even stretch to 2,000 feet.

Ok, while the search for a Mojo Moose sighting continues, today's mountain sightings have to be karmic. Besides, there have to be Moose out there in the pictured landscapes.

Below are the mountains as viewed from the office this morning.

The first photo is of the Alaska Range as seen looking west from my office balcony. It includes Mount Spurr, the volcano that erupted three times in my lifetime covering Anchorage with over half an inch of ash each time with the first being when we first moved to Alaska in 1953 when I was five years old.

The second photo is looking north west and the pictured Mount Susitna is otherwise known as Sleeping Lady due to her flowing hair, facial features, and extended body covered in winter by a blanket of snow.

The final photo is looking north toward Mount Foraker and Mount Denali, respectively seen left and right as their snow capped peaks rise above the horizon.

IMG_1906.jpg
IMG_1905_(1).jpg
IMG_1904_(1).jpg

Denali f/k/a Mount McKinley (the one on the right) maintains claim to being the tallest in North America.

Here is a little mountain height trivia for anyone interested.

Although Mount Everest is the tallest mountain in the world from sea level (29,035 feet), Hawaii's Mauna Kea is the tallest mountain as measured from its (ocean) base (33,497 feet.)

Denaii f/k/a Mt. McKinley while 20,320 feet above sea level is actually taller than Everest when both mountains are measured from their base. Reportedly Denali is the tallest land-based mountain on earth.

All that said there are claims by Equador's Mount Chimborazo. Mount Logan in the Canadian Yukon, Kilimanjaro in Africa, and a peak in Pakistan (Rakaposhi) to being "the tallest" by varied definitional measurement standards.

Chimborazo is the tallest when measured from the center of the earth due to the equatorial bulge that adds over a mile to the earth's distance from the earth's center at the equator making its peak closer to the moon and stars than any other mountain in the world. Kilimanjaro's claim to height fame is that it is the tallest of all stand alone mountains if mountains located in mountain ranges can be excluded from the competition.

Do we know which state holds more fresh water? I thought I had read that the Great Lakesaccount for 20% of the world’s fresh water, but i am a bit dubious of that.

Also, the UP serves these things called pasties, which are an assault on the taste buds. At least there is walleye.
Great Lakes DO have 20% of the world's fresh water, and Lake Superior has half (10%) of that. All but Lake Mich are partially in Canada.

I'm just happy I didn't get rickrolled with a AWC moose picture.

Do we know which state holds more fresh water? I thought I had read that the Great Lakesaccount for 20% of the world’s fresh water, but i am a bit dubious of that.

Also, the UP serves these things called pasties, which are an assault on the taste buds. At least there is walleye.
I’m partial to Lake Superior whitefish

Great Lakes DO have 20% of the world's fresh water, and Lake Superior has half (10%) of that. All but Lake Mich are partially in Canada.

I'm just happy I didn't get rickrolled with a AWC moose picture.
Kudos to Waterboy for equating those pastries to turnovers. I'm all for a big serving Saturday from our friends in Ann Arbor.

I think it is the Great Lakes Basin which includes many small lake like the 10,000 lakes of MN and the underground aquifer.

Having lived in the UP for 30 years I have to agree with you traditional pasties are the worst. SOOOOOOOO boring.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
I thought pasties are things worn by an exotic dancer. Boring is in the eye of the beholder.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT