ADVERTISEMENT

Rapolas Ivanauskas commits!

Big commitment. 4* .92 rating on 247.

He has a funky 3 point release. Reminds me a little of John Shurna's.

I was about to say the same NJ but I think that those were his sophomore tapes. He still has time to grow and maybe alter that shot a bit. I also liked seeing him block some shots and seemed like a pretty nice passer as well. Anyone know the strength of the competition?

What's bigger than huge?

This is such a good fit. Will be a great college student-athlete.

Right on Medill and let me add and very good Big Ten type player. Sorry but the NCAA made up student-athlete term just bothers me. It is also great that Collins and company have reeled in another 4*!

Three years in a row Collins has recruited a 4* forward Willy...when's the last time that's happened at NU?

Here's Henricksen's write up on High School Cube News from January of this year:

RAPOLAS IVANAUSKAS, Barrington
What he is: Right now he's the least appreciated and the lesser known of the top four prospects in 2016, though the City/Suburban Hoops Report is convinced he's a high-major.
Ivanauskas has a little more game and a bigger bag of tricks than the other two players with size on this list in terms of all that he can do on the basketball floor. His offensive arsenal is sound and diverse, with the ability to put it on the floor and make use of his handle in getting to the basket, especially with a crafty, high-level spin move he regularly uses.
Ivanauskas is efficient offensively. He's an above-average shooter capable of knocking down a variety of shots -- a baby, jump-hook in the paint, mid-range, pick-and-pop, step-back jumpers and flare threes. He will show them all as works to gain consistency. Although certainly not a great athlete, he does get up off the floor and will surprise you with an impressive dunk. Conditioning and foot speed are a work in progress at this point, while his biggest obstacle right now is his lack of physical strength. He's spindly thin.
There aren't many players in the class who have come along more quickly in the past 12 months than Ivanauskas. And, because of his physical make-up (or lack thereof), he really is a long way from being the player he's going to be, which is exciting. His production as a player has skyrocketed and his skill level and is undeniable.
Where he's at nationally: As stated, Ivanauskas is the most underrated player of the four on a national level. He can't be found in any national rankings, yet he will ultimately open eyes when he receives more exposure and his body and game continue to develop.

The full article is here.

The full article also mentions Barret Benson, another top-3 NU target and an outstanding student.

Being an NU fan

I was wondering if the bags were packed and the CC recruiting honeymoon was coming to end. It was just me being an NU fan and looking for the signs of the usual.

This sure helps me think maybe the honeymoon can keep going a while longer.

That's a nice start to the recruiting year ... a guy coaches can point to with other recruits in the class. A guy who can talk to other players at the summer camps.

Good news!!!!

As an aside, one service has already said RI will start from day one. I wonder where he fits?

Re: Being an NU fan

Originally posted by Sec.112:

As an aside, one service has already said RI will start from day one. I wonder where he fits?
I think that service is probably just used to writing that about any NU recruit. Don't see where he starts over a junior Vic Law and sophomore Aaron Falzon.

He actually follows the state recruiting very well and I think he has a good feel for NU. I'm not sure where he'll play either, but it's going to be hard to keep this kid off the court. He's a special talent that we rarely see at NU.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

What a nice dilemma to have at NU. Three 4* players competing for playing time.............what a concept!

Gotta give Collins and his staff credit. They sure can recruit.

wow - if we get Benson to go along with RI

and add them to mac, ash, law, lindsey, falzon, pardon, we are really starting to get some big ten talent

Long live the Baltic states. Heh-heh.

3dgrin.r191677.gif

You gotta love an article that starts out, "Things just keep on getting better at Northwestern University"

This looks like bigger news than I first thought. #1 prospect in the state and Illinois plays some pretty good BB. Also, I'm always a sucker for the dream of potential, RI stands as the #1 prospect in IL even as he is still greatly undeveloped. If his current abilities give him a #1 ranking just think where he will be when he fills out, grows up and gains experience.

Go Cats!!

2011, while I'm also not sure what position he will play, it seems like we also are not sure where Law or Falzon fit. For what it's worth the Trib today listed him as a small forward.

Excited to land RI. I know, it's early to say, but if Law, Lindsey, Falzon and Skelly work out, then RI on the bench year one sounds like the way. The guy needs muscle, needs Masse, seems the perfect candidate to RS in the right conditions. For me, Mac, Lindesy/Ash/Law, with Falzon and Pardon and Skelly and Tap rounding out the top 8 would be a strong lineup in the first year of RI.

In year 2 - RI replaces Tap in the top 8 and who knows how the starting lineups look. Lot will depend on progress - but great start for some real depth.

Now, let's land X and a big guy!

Nice to see the the players helping out with recruiting

Then there were the players. He was impressed by all of them, but singled out freshman point guard Bryant McIntosh and 2015 signee Jordan Ash as two who were always there to answer his questions. Other recruits have tended to bring those names up as well.

I want to make history

Outstanding!

Very excited for 'projected 2017 minutes distribution' the threads.

Excellent news.

Let's get Barrett Benson now. We need the big 5 man badly.

Is Nick R. from St. Joe's in play for us? He was Ash's teammate.

The St. Joe's kid hasn't been offered by NU. The coaches seem to like Rap much better...jumps higher...better shooter...better inside game....better ball handler and better attitude. Tougher with the ball low.

With two spots left NU needs thickness in the post and a point guard.

Nick R has a better offer list but no telling on his interest.. Rapolas was on the hot list for a while ad is a huge get. As said a Post player is a huge need then point guard but point guards are a lot easier to find. Football just got recruit #3 - solid three star so some nice news this weekend.

Good news for NU's ball team and Coach Collins and his staff. Three four-star recruits and five three-star recruits in a little over two plus recruiting seasons is unprecedented at NU. NU is developing much needed depth which most top half of the Big 10 teams have. Also, I like the fact that Rapolas just does not want to be another guy at another school like some other Big 10 schools, but wants to make history. I think NU is doing a good job of evaluating talent and aggressively going after quality players. I wonder if Rapolas plays summer ball with Barret Benson and if they know each other. With AJ Hammons staying at Purdue maybe Benson will see less of an opportunity for PT since Haas will most likely stay another year or more.

Re: wow - if we get Benson to go along with RI

Originally posted by haywood jahblowme:
and add them to mac, ash, law, lindsey, falzon, pardon, we are really starting to get some big ten talent
Haywood;
Any sense for where we stand with Benson?

Re: wow - if we get Benson to go along with RI

Originally posted by haywood jahblowme:
Haywood;
Any sense for where we stand with Benson?

This is great

Really building the talent level here. Keep it up!

Excellent news! Collins keeps them coming. In two years the 'Cats may actually have BIG level talent going 8 to 10 deep. Man that's an exciting prospect.

Collins isn't going to offer Rakocevich, The kid is a prima donna and really isn't that good.

Completely agree Corbi- Always yelling at someone (coaches, refs, teammates) and if you watch him closely he would foul out every single college game. Refs miss so many fouls on him. Slaps the guys wrist on so many blocks and I was amazed they weren't called fouls.

Raining on your parade, yet again.

Originally posted by lunker35:
What a huge get! Let's keep it rolling!
It seems that some NU fans NEVER out grow some stages!

First, it is a positive development that RI has committed to NU bkb. Don't get me wrong. By all indications he is a great person, a good student, and a high-potential bkb player.

But to call his commitment HUGE reflects an inability to leave the past and adjust expectations based on recent performance. NU fans often have that problem.

Fact is NU has been competitive in the B1G for way over a decade now, including making consecutive post-season appearances for years at a time. This has impacted recruiting favorably. The current admin may be more adept to recruiting than the previous one, but per offer lists, the previous admin was doing reasonaby well also, taking kids with major conf offers routinely some within or near the top 100 by some services. Of course players performance not always matches projection based on HS and offers...but that can happens in all places, and may happen in the case of RI also.

Per rivals, RI had TWO other scholarship offers: IOA and Purdue. PU has made the F4 twice in its history, none since 1980, and has won the B1G only once since 1996. IOA also hasn't made the F4 since 1980 (3 total in program history) and last won the B1G in 1979. The point is that while both IOA and PU are strong bkb programs, neither is an elite one.

Yes, there was a point in NU bkb history when getting a commit from someone with similar offers (or any B1G offer!) WAS huge. That point is long gone (thankfully).

WAKE UP and ADJUST EXPECTATIONS!!!!!!!!!!

Rakocevich has plenty of offers including 1 from Wiscy

Originally posted by corbi296:
Collins isn't going to offer Rakocevich, The kid is a prima donna and really isn't that good.
I suspect a lot of coaches would disagree with BOTH assertions in you last sentence. He has offers from half the B1G, including from national finalist WI, as well as from UVa and several others. I doubt so many coaches could be wrong about his character and athletic potential. They certainly see neither as a problem. Whether CC will offer or not I don't know (dont even know whether Rako has the grades for NU). CC also didn't offer Falzon's teammate who had offers from WI and mamny others and ended up at Stanford...maybe he knows something many other coaching staff don't...hopefully whatever it is will help him win more than 6 r.s. B1G games per season soon.

With AJ Hammons staying at Purdue maybe Benson will see less of an opportunity for PT

That won't be relevant. Hammons will be a senior in 2015-16. Benson will be a freshman in 2016-17.

Here's the Rap interest list according to 247. Glad he committed before summer ball.

NU
Creighton
Iowa
Purdue
Drake
Florida State
Georgetown
Illinois
Iowa State
Kansas
Michigan
Minnesota
Nebraska
Notre Dame
Saint Louis
UCLA
USC
Vanderbilt
Virginia
Wake Forest
Wisconsin
Xavier

There is a reason Collins and staff put the full court press on him. Many say he is gonna blow up this summer. I would not be surprised if he ends up being higher rated that Law.

Originally posted by TejasCat:
There is a reason Collins and staff put the full court press on him. Many say he is gonna blow up this summer. I would not be surprised if he ends up being higher rated that Law.
Let us then WAIT till that happens before we proclaim him a HUGE get....for now it is a good one....as have most others over the last several years (whether they went on to greatness or not).

With Hammons staying for 2015-2016 that means that Haas is not going to get as many minutes which means he will be less likely to have a breakout season in 2015-2016 and then go pro along with Hammons leaving a huge void at the center position at Purdue in 2016-2017. If Haas stays his junior and maybe senior season at Purdue, that would leave less minutes for a recruit who is a center. Right now, Purdue is very high on Benson's list.

At NU, after Olah graduates next season, there will be a large immediate void at the center position as everyone agree even, if fingers crossed, Pardon is as good as advertised.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT