ADVERTISEMENT

Rapolas Ivanauskas question

Deeringfish

Gold Member
Jun 23, 2008
I was wondering what the rules are.

When a guy like Rapolas is local, how much can the NU coaches work with him from now until he enrolls in school? Can he come to campus and shoot around with the team informally? I'm just thinking about opportunities for him to develop given what I have read about his potential for growth.

I don't think they can work with him at all.

His big need is physical development which gets much more sophisticated when he's on campus and his eating and lifting is prescribed. And he needs to age from 17 to 19. My boy is an athlete, shorter but similar build. He's trying to add muscle but it's incredibly difficult for some body types that are young.

Some of the foot work issues that I've read about get cleaned up through year-round coaching, playing summers against top competition, and the strength helps there too.

He's already highly skilled. And he plays with attitude.

I may be mistsken, but I believe that NU can provide him with meal plans, workout plans, written training and preparation materials. NU can take a serious role in guiding his development over the next 12-16 months before he's on campus. They just can't be physically present.

He can come play in open gyms as long as the coaches aren't running them

I think you are mistaken.

In fact I know you are mistaken. Ivanauskas hasn't signed anything yet. Just a verbal commit. It would be illegal benefits to the nth degree if Northwestern could provide him with info at this point in the game.

You may be thinking of AFTER he signs his LOI. But now he's technically still a recruit.

"Meal plans" = "recommendations on what to eat to get more prepared" not, you know, food.

I believe that NU can offer advice on how to get stronger and better prepared for collegiate play. NU gets, what, one call to him per week, and as many inbound calls as he's willing to give, right?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT