ADVERTISEMENT

Remembering Alan Smithee - Photos included

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
So saddened to have just learned from Gladeskat's posting from last weekend that Wildcat Family Member Steve Fridley, known here on the WildcatReport Boards as Alan Smithee passed away suddenly on February 9th. It was heartening to read on the thread "Some Sad News" how Steve's life has touched so many here in so many ways and how all share the loss.

Like so many others here my personal acquaintance with Steve revolved around comradeship at Purple Parties and West Lot Tailgates. I was also the beneficiary of his generosity as he shared an extra ticket he had for a game at Ryan Field that we then watched together. If I recall correctly we were doomed to lose it as the final minutes began to run off the clock and I made some smart aleck remark about all we had to do was get a score and then then add a successful onside kick with one more score to win it. Sure enough that is exactly what happened and Steve somehow ended up crediting me with the team's win.

On another occasion for some reason I had a stuffed animal monkey that I had brought to a tailgate and insisted he take it home so it could continue to bring good luck as a Rally Monkey for the games ahead. That was before the Mojo Moose.

At a subsequent tailgate he was pleased to be the recipient of a jar of raspberry jam made from the berries that I had harvested from the raspberry patch in my front yard where the Mojo Moose had begun making their pre-game appearances bringing good karma to the Wildcats.

Here are some photos which include Steve a/k/a Smithee from one of the first West Lot Tailgates we mutually attended. In the first photo he is pictured in the front row, second from the left. I'll check back later and add some more photos taken from over the yeas.

tailgate3.jpg

tailgate4.jpg

tailgate1.jpg

Last edited:
For as infrequently as I get back to games compared to the rest of you, it is amazing to see you actually have a photo here with TheC!!! That was fun to see again... though a long time ago now.
Which of you is you? Clearly not 1, 4 or 5 from left, so you must be 2, 3 or 6.

Assuming I still have it, someday I'll have to learn how to adjust that camera's date stamp in the first photos. Those first photos may have been taken in 1996 (though not likely) but no way was that Valentine's Day.

(One of the big advantages for me in someday getting rid of daylight savings time is that the clocks in my vehicles won't be an hour off for half of the year.)

• Haha
Reactions: No Chores and TheC
Assuming I still have it, someday I'll have to learn how to adjust that camera's date stamp in the first photos. Those first photos may have been taken in 1996 (though not likely) but no way was that Valentine's Day.

(One of the big advantages for me in someday getting rid of daylight savings time is that the clocks in my vehicles won't be an hour off for half of the year.)
Alaska my man, you need a fancy new vehicle which will automatically make the change. Also changes automatically when you enter a new time zone. On my way from Erie Pa to Chicago the change occurs at the 161 mile marker on the Indiana Toll Road. 😂

Reactions: Alaskawildkat

As a point of trivia footnote, I actually did get that camera's date stamp corrected shortly after the above quoted posting. Princess Cruise Line required a 24 hours prior to sailing date-stamped pre-boarding negative COVID test result as a requirement for boarding.

To placate the Japanese Government the date-stamped negative COVID test result was made a requirement for departing from Yokohama on the first Japanese cruise aboard the Diamond Princess since its infamous mooring in that same harbor in early 2020. (On a side note the other government imposed requirement was that that first sailing since COVID could only be at half passenger capacity - which was certainly advantageous for us.)

So saddened to have just learned from Gladeskat's posting from last weekend that Wildcat Family Member Steve Fridley, known here on the WildcatReport Boards as Alan Smithee passed away suddenly on February 9th. It was heartening to read on the thread "Some Sad News" how Steve's life has touched so many here in so many ways and how all share the loss.

Like so many others here my personal acquaintance with Steve revolved around comradeship at Purple Parties and West Lot Tailgates. I was also the beneficiary of his generosity as he shared an extra ticket he had for a game at Ryan Field that we then watched together. If I recall correctly we were doomed to lose it as the final minutes began to run off the clock and I made some smart aleck remark about all we had to do was get a score and then then add a successful onside kick with one more score to win it. Sure enough that is exactly what happened and Steve somehow ended up crediting me with the team's win.

On another occasion for some reason I had a stuffed animal monkey that I had brought to a tailgate and insisted he take it home so it could continue to bring good luck as a Rally Monkey for the games ahead. That was before the Mojo Moose.

At a subsequent tailgate he was pleased to be the recipient of a jar of raspberry jam made from the berries that I had harvested from the raspberry patch in my front yard where the Mojo Moose had begun making their pre-game appearances bringing good karma to the Wildcats.

Here are some photos which include Steve a/k/a Smithee from one of the first West Lot Tailgates we mutually attended. In the first photo he is pictured in the front row, second from the left. I'll check back later and add some more photos taken from over the yeas.

tailgate3.jpg

tailgate4.jpg

tailgate1.jpg
I note Midvale Dave (50) in the last two photos. Whatever happened to him? In my few encounters, I enjoyed his company. Thanks for these historic photos.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat

tailgate3.jpg

tailgate4.jpg

tailgate1.jpg

I am sorry to hear that. I remember him posting when i first got on this board as a new NU fan back in season 2004! I miss all
Those fun posters from back then! They kept it very lively! Please add screen names for others in your pics? Would b great!

So very sad to hear. Smithee was great. Anyone else remember way back when he was Terminal V Cat?
We had some great chats at Purple Parties over the years.
Rest in peace, my friend, you will truly be missed.

I miss Smithee and FloridAlum dearly. My phone is silent after games these days, except for the 200 calls a day to I get to sign up for Medicare plans.
Yep. I am on do not call lists on all phones but supposedly they are not covered so as you say seems like hundreds per day. And is seems they grant their exclusion to final expense funeral insurance and a couple others as well. Still not sure why I get all the others.

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT