ADVERTISEMENT

Rules changes officially approved

I wonder how this will affect the teams that run the Princeton offense?A high percentage of those types of teams often go deep into the shot clock.

I'm sure I'm in the minority on this, but I think the rules committee is crazy if they think these rules are going to increase scoring. They may increase shots attempted, but with less time on the shot clock and ten seconds total in the backcourt, I think you're going to see a lot more teams using some form of full court pressure.

If I'm a coach, I love my chances on defense if there's only 22 seconds on the shot clock by the time a team goes into it's halfcourt offense.

I'm with you, 112. We're going to see much more 1 on 1 play, more wild shots, and probably the same amount of scoring.

I think it's been acknowledged by the rules committee that lowering the shot clock alone isn't going to suddenly result in a lot more scoring. It's part of the package of changes designed to increase the pace of the game. I think looking at the big picture, what will eventually most affect scoring is the gradual change we are seeing in moving toward more floor spacing, using smaller lineups, so-called "stretch fours" who can shoot, and an overall greater emphasis on shooting. As the college game begins to morph more along the lines of what the NBA has experienced, then you'll see more scoring. But anything that reduces the number of timeouts, especially at the end of games, is a good thing in my book. -:)

... more floor spacing ...

The discussion of the European lane seems to have faded away.

I think widening the court would also help. Although I know then we're talking about reducing revenue.

Generally, I can't believe there's not a discussion that they are playing on the same size court while the size of the players has increased dramatically since the 50s and 60s.

The discussion of the European lane seems to have faded away.

I think widening the court would also help. Although I know then we're talking about reducing revenue.

Generally, I can't believe there's not a discussion that they are playing on the same size court while the size of the players has increased dramatically since the 50s and 60s.

I think there is something to this as the physicality of the game has increased. The size and speed of today's players have made it more difficult for the officials. You have to draw a line on what to allow and what not, and that isn't always easy. Anybody that thinks NBA style rules in and of themselves will necessarily improve the flow of the colleege game must not have watched the last quarter of the NBA championship the other night. I realize Cleveland is shorthanded and trying to uglify the game a bit, but that was about as brutal as it gets. Lebron piled up the points, but I think he was something like 11 for 32, and Curry was throwing up shots from all over the place.

I think it's been acknowledged by the rules committee that lowering the shot clock alone isn't going to suddenly result in a lot more scoring. It's part of the package of changes designed to increase the pace of the game. I think looking at the big picture, what will eventually most affect scoring is the gradual change we are seeing in moving toward more floor spacing, using smaller lineups, so-called "stretch fours" who can shoot, and an overall greater emphasis on shooting. As the college game begins to morph more along the lines of what the NBA has experienced, then you'll see more scoring. But anything that reduces the number of timeouts, especially at the end of games, is a good thing in my book. -:)
If college BB goes the way of the NBA, attendance will continue to plummet. I can't stand to watch to watch NBA push, shove and shoot offense. Agree on the timeouts though.

Lowering the shot clock will cheapen the college game, which to this point had remained distinctive and, in contrast to NBA scoreathon/snoozeathons, worth watching.

Lowering the shot clock will cheapen the college game, which to this point had remained distinctive and, in contrast to NBA scoreathon/snoozeathons, worth watching.

I think 30 seconds is a good compromise. It is 25% longer than the NBA uses, allowing a couple of more passes per possession. I doubt scoring will increase appreciably, but the number of possessions definitely will and that will make the game more interesting. The biggest change is the reduction in time outs, which right now are completely killing the game. They should reduce the number to 3 per half per team, which in addition to the 4 TV time outs in each half are more than enough.

I think 30 seconds is a good compromise. It is 25% longer than the NBA uses, allowing a couple of more passes per possession. I doubt scoring will increase appreciably, but the number of possessions definitely will and that will make the game more interesting. The biggest change is the reduction in time outs, which right now are completely killing the game. They should reduce the number to 3 per half per team, which in addition to the 4 TV time outs in each half are more than enough.

I think most people could agree on the timeouts. When Billy Packer used to do games, he always squawked about players getting "tired" when it was about halfway through the first half and already had 2-3 timeouts. Top-notch players should not be wearing out with 6-7 timeouts a half.

Oh, the most distinctive feature of college basketball (players who can't shoot) will still remain.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT