ADVERTISEMENT

Should we raise 5k to pay the fine?

ricko654321

Nov 15, 2006
Not that Chris needs it I’m sure he is perfectly comfortable with his actions and the consequences. But he could then donate it to a charity of his choice or something. I’d happily contribute $100 to make a point to the B1G conference and refs.

Not that Chris needs it I’m sure he is perfectly comfortable with his actions and the consequences. But he could then donate it to a charity of his choice or something. I’d happily contribute $100 to make a point to the B1G conference and refs.
That would probably violate some written or unwritten Big Ten regulation.

Something like wipe our asses.with one hundred $50 bills and mail them to B1G
@CoralSpringsCat , get in this thread! We freeloaders are figuring out where to spend the hundred smackeroos we save annually.

The article changed to NU being fined, not Collins

Actually that’s a perfect solution. Can we find a way to create a place for folks to donate to support this fine and it goes to TrueNU? Great idea Coral

Or realistically it’s just a portal for TrueNU I think but based on the Collins fine maybe?

Actually that’s a perfect solution. Can we find a way to create a place for folks to donate to support this fine and it goes to TrueNU? Great idea Coral

Or realistically it’s just a portal for TrueNU I think but based on the Collins fine maybe?
Just give the money to TruNU so they can get it to the players. Collins makes seven figures, a $5,000 fine is like a $30 parking ticket and he knew damn well he’d get it. You just enter a season accepting you’ll have one or two little ticky tacks like that. Unfortunately it didn’t help finish the deal vs MN.

I love this idea, and don't think you got near enough support here. Not only does it show great support from fans, but it also gives NU great press. "Money where mouth is - NU fans pay fine for Chris Collins failure to accept 46 to 8 freethrow disparity." It says we have his back, just as he has the player's backs.

Even better, it would make Dr. Derrick squirm in his chair. Expect a tweet out of him about how we are 'unbecoming'. It has nothing to do with whether Collins or NU were actually fined or who pays. The will to pay for him speaks volumes. Hell, we could do it now in anticipation of the next case of zebra malfeasance in favour of Purdue.

Come on freeloaders board - we can do better than the above tepid response!

Last edited:
Reactions: drewjin
Not only does it show great support from fans, but it also gives NU great press. "Money where mouth is - NU fans pay fine for Chris Collins failure to accept 46 to 8 freethrow disparity." It says we have his back, just as he has the player's backs.
If only it was the 1990s and this was what “press” still looked like…

Just give the money to TruNU so they can get it to the players. Collins makes seven figures, a $5,000 fine is like a $30 parking ticket and he knew damn well he’d get it. You just enter a season accepting you’ll have one or two little ticky tacks like that. Unfortunately it didn’t help finish the deal vs MN.
Yeah I didn't really mean for the money to go to CC ultimately, more meant as a statement and then it goes somewhere else (I had said to charity but TrueNU is probably a more pointed idea). Alas, the time has probably passed.

Reactions: Hkjb
Had Collins stayed in the coaching box, I could see thinking the fine was unjust.
However, he went way onto the court during live action and screamed in a refs face.
All Collins had to do was wait 2 seconds and his actions become a lot less egregious.
It suggests that he had lost control momentarily.

I'm concerned that this "stunt" will backfire. Collins may want to apologize publicly because refs (presumably) stick together and (presumably) all think they get way too much abuse.

It doesn't matter that the refs screwed us. They did. Had Collins addressed that as he did in the press conference, I think we come out of it in better shape.

The premise for the post is not valid -- Collins didn't get fined. Northwestern did. He's not writing a check, Northwestern will (or the conf will take the money out of payments to the school).

As for waiting the two seconds, at least this time he didn't get the Ts when they mattered (unlike Gonzaga).

Reactions: rogerkim
The premise for the post is not valid -- Collins didn't get fined. Northwestern did. He's not writing a check, Northwestern will (or the conf will take the money out of payments to the school).

As for waiting the two seconds, at least this time he didn't get the Ts when they mattered (unlike Gonzaga).
You are right on the specifics of the premise. That said, it seems few people in America care about the validity of a premise anymore. At least on social media.

Had Collins stayed in the coaching box, I could see thinking the fine was unjust.
However, he went way onto the court during live action and screamed in a refs face.
All Collins had to do was wait 2 seconds and his actions become a lot less egregious.

I'm concerned that this "stunt" will backfire. Collins may want to apologize publicly because refs (presumably) stick together and (presumably) all think they get way too much abuse.

It doesn't matter that the refs screwed us. They did. Had Collins addressed that as he did in the press conference, I think we come out of it in better shape.
I like the doomsday scenario of the stunt backfiring. It seems plausible (though unlikely) and makes me wonder if you practice law. I find a lot of value at work in these conversations, and have to admit I enjoy the art of anticipating what could happen. Respect.

Then again, everyone knows that Purdue fans whine incessantly about the refs. The refs know too. This small initiative from a smattering of NU fans would be a drop in the ocean compared to Purdue's cumulative whine-years. And despite their apex whiner status, they seem to get all the calls, rather than suffering repercussions. So I don't think the evidence is pointing toward a backfire.

I like the doomsday scenario of the stunt backfiring. It seems plausible (though unlikely) and makes me wonder if you practice law. I find a lot of value at work in these conversations, and have to admit I enjoy the art of anticipating what could happen. Respect.

Then again, everyone knows that Purdue fans whine incessantly about the refs. The refs know too. This small initiative from a smattering of NU fans would be a drop in the ocean compared to Purdue's cumulative whine-years. And despite their apex whiner status, they seem to get all the calls, rather than suffering repercussions. So I don't think the evidence is pointing toward a backfire.

Interesting thoughts.

For me there's always a factor of "most people are unable to act fairly when they feel they've been slighted..."
So any "backlash" would not be overt - it might even be subconcious.

But I admit that I know nothing about how refs interact with each other (do they travel together? eat meals together? or do they all just do their own thing). If there is real camaraderie among "them" it won't help if our coach is viewed in a negative light.

Having been watching the manner in which Northwestern's athletes have been treated by B1G referees for he past 49 years (horribly!), I have no issues with Coach Collins's actions. Whether it's been unconscious prejudice against the "smart" kids from NU, or just timeworn belief that our teams stink, I say get in their faces and force them to consider the error of their ways...

Having been watching the manner in which Northwestern's athletes have been treated by B1G referees for he past 49 years (horribly!), I have no issues with Coach Collins's actions. Whether it's been unconscious prejudice against the "smart" kids from NU, or just timeworn belief that our teams stink, I say get in their faces and force them to consider the error of their ways...
Better teams and better players get more calls. I am 100% convinced of this, and that it applies to every sport, any place worldwide. There's probably some psychology that could explain this, like the brain tends to see more what confirms expected outcomes.

If one believes this premise, it makes the choo choo whining even more ridiculous.

I am not sure he gets his point across if he does not get T'd up and ejected. Otherwise the BIG could just ignore it. I feel he did it with purpose

The game was over when he did it and it seemed it was done for a purpose. He wants NU treated fairly and they were not. Game was beyond winning and it was time to make the point

Reactions: Hkjb
Interesting thoughts.

For me there's always a factor of "most people are unable to act fairly when they feel they've been slighted..."
So any "backlash" would not be overt - it might even be subconcious.

But I admit that I know nothing about how refs interact with each other (do they travel together? eat meals together? or do they all just do their own thing). If there is real camaraderie among "them" it won't help if our coach is viewed in a negative light.
I hadn't considered the camaraderie point - it would make perfect sense, though I don't know anything about that world. Smolmania's point about "smart kids" could also be a factor which mixes with the camaraderie you mentioned. Having way too much fun engaging/sparring out hypotheticals here.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
Better teams and better players get more calls.
They are more skilled at getting into better defensive positions, and hence commit fewer fouls. They are more skilled offensively, and hence lesser players resort to fouling to stop them. It is easier to blame biased reffing.

Last edited:
They are more skilled at getting into better defensive positions, and hence commit fewer fouls. They are more skilled offensively, and hence lesser players resort to fouling to stop them. It is easier to blame biased reffing.
I agree with your words. But that was not the point. The point was that better teams and players get more 50/50 calls, more "wrong" calls, and less missed of the "right" calls. That is to say, if you prefer it that way, that they benefit from perceived quality.

All all this is on average, over a larger dataset. Not in every play, not in every game.

Even a fair amount of Bulls fans will admit the 90's were a good time refereeing wise.

Thats just not how the world works.
Better teams and players get the benefit of the call more often than not.
Even more than that, its the coaches.
Coach K had the refs doing his bidding.
Izzo and Painter both work those guys pretty hard. The refs know those guys are highly regarded and don't want to be on the receiving end of their criticism.

Collins is not particularly successful at it - guessing here - because he is more demonstrative on the sidelines than the refs appreciate and he doesn't buddy up to them (a la Izzo). Oh, and he just can't seem to stay in the coaches box.

Reactions: GatoLouco
Better teams and better players get more calls. I am 100% convinced of this, and that it applies to every sport, any place worldwide. There's probably some psychology that could explain this, like the brain tends to see more what confirms expected outcomes.

If one believes this premise, it makes the choo choo whining even more ridiculous.
You can see this with Buie at times. If he gets knocked on his drive it’s normally getting called. It’s not always called for every player. He also gets away with using his off hand on drives which not a whole lot of players get away with. Part of it is his savvyness to know when to force the ref to make a call or not and part of it is his reputation as a premier player. It’s a skill and a circumstance most superstars benefit from and use to their advantage.

Thats just not how the world works.
Better teams and players get the benefit of the call more often than not.
Even more than that, its the coaches.
Coach K had the refs doing his bidding.
Izzo and Painter both work those guys pretty hard. The refs know those guys are highly regarded and don't want to be on the receiving end of their criticism.

Collins is not particularly successful at it - guessing here - because he is more demonstrative on the sidelines than the refs appreciate and he doesn't buddy up to them (a la Izzo). Oh, and he just can't seem to stay in the coaches box.
He’s more successful at it than any previous NU coach. It’s hard at NU with the historic NU bias. It’s going to be a long road of stringing together good teams to change that perception. This season we’ve see NU get the benefit of some bad calls. It’s slowly getting there with back to back good teams. A lot of that ref bias is more due to that those coaches flat out win.

That's a bad comparison for anyone who has watched how consistently and how often Izzo is
a) aggressively demonstrative
b) aggressively out of the box
c) in refs faces crying about obvious fouls by his players

Izzo is louder and worse about what you criticize Collins for doing, is what I'm saying.

That's a bad comparison for anyone who has watched how consistently and how often Izzo is
a) aggressively demonstrative
b) aggressively out of the box
c) in refs faces crying about obvious fouls by his players

Izzo is louder and worse about what you criticize Collins for doing, is what I'm saying.
My point is that Izzo gets away with it and influences the refs.

In some ways Izzo has a good cop/bad cop routine, where he is both of the cops.
The refs seem relieved when he asks about the family.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT