ADVERTISEMENT

FB RECRUITING Some Random Early Observations

GOUNUII

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2004
1. If I had to take one OLM this year it would be Robertson. Absolutely love his film. Extremely physical and quick off the snap. Might be the one most likely to have an instant impact. Loads of validating reported offers. And no obvious successor to Gerak at OC. Robertson, Preibe and Thompson could form an imposing interior trio. Robertson is a 5.7 Rivals 3 star OT, but a 5.9 GOU 4 star OC prospect.

2. If I had to pick one 2022 OLM to develop into a future NFL stud it would be Craig. His athletic chops are so impressive. Smart, tough and hard working kid. His future 40+ lbs. from now is bright.

3. I predict Heyer will come down to either the home state Goophers or the Cats. He could very well end up falling to Minny because of our self-imposed numbers crunch. Much like Kattus fell to Kentucky. Which frankly is a better academic fit for most Moeller grads. :)

4. God Bless Eastern Illinois University. We wouldn't even be having this conversation about top OL recruits if it weren't for their brilliant HC hire.

5. I don't see Alston getting the sustained love his reported offers and 4 star rating would warrant. My hunch is that he'll eventually decide between us and a school like G.T. Think T. Sutton II. His recruitment doesn't mirror what Tyrell went through, but his game has a lot of similarities.

6. Similar situation with Payne. How many of his reported final 5 - elite as they are - have him on their priority, committable now offer board? It's not ND. No reason to believe it's Bama. Alston and Payne are still developing situations, but great examples of the value of recruiting elite prospects that may over time fall just below the cut line at the blue blood schools.

7. Getting Conley, Stokes and Turner would be a jackpot winning trifecta. Conley and 1 of the others would be fantastic. Very impressive that all 3 have scheduled OVs. Gotta cash in on the Newsome-Joseph dividend while the brand is hot.

8. Speaking of brands. Has anybody given much thought to how NU will distinguish itself in the NIL recruiting sweepstakes? We'll never have hundreds of thousands of Twitter followers. But what can we do to peak recruits interest in monetizing their name, image and likeness at NU? Should Lou put little Fitz on that for a WR feature? Do some digging. Talk to people. Get the scoop. This is playing out now.

9. I am optimistic the rebound market for guys like Hilinski, Woods and others will be kind to the Cats down the road.

10. Did anybody else notice that David Shaw limped into the top 50 "players'" coaches at #49? I hate the fact he got Little, Rouse, Hinton, McLaughlin, Leyrer and Uke. Maybe we should revise our Top 10 recruiting theme to include Top 10 school, team and players' Head Coach.

GOUNUII

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News