ADVERTISEMENT

Stanford preview

beetlemania74

Dec 7, 2008
A little more than three months until Stanford travels to Evanston to kick off the '15 season. Here's a quick ESPN preview on the Cardinal:

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/119332/b1g-nonconference-opponent-stanford

Sounds like their offense underwhelmed last season and their defense was dominant. If I'm doing the math correctly, however, they appear to have lost seven starters on defense, which is good news for a 'Cats offense that'll be led by a QB with limited (or no) game experience.

No idea how the game will turn out, but I will venture to guess that the Stanford fans we encounter here will be classier than those of their archrival from across the Bay. Maybe droski will drop by anyway for old times sake...

A little more than three months until Stanford travels to Evanston to kick off the '15 season. Here's a quick ESPN preview on the Cardinal:

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/119332/b1g-nonconference-opponent-stanford

Sounds like their offense underwhelmed last season and their defense was dominant. If I'm doing the math correctly, however, they appear to have lost seven starters on defense, which is good news for a 'Cats offense that'll be led by a QB with limited (or no) game experience.

No idea how the game will turn out, but I will venture to guess that the Stanford fans we encounter here will be classier than those of their archrival from across the Bay. Maybe droski will drop by anyway for old times sake...

Stanford is being ranked in the top 20 and as high as 10th in preseason nonsense rankings, FWIW. They will be solid favorites over NU.

Take the Cats and the points. Why, besides that they need to replace 7 defensive starters, well the Cardinal Band isn't available, although the "Tree" might make the trip.

Stanford is being ranked in the top 20 and as high as 10th in preseason nonsense rankings, FWIW. They will be solid favorites over NU.

I realize all that. I'm looking for reasons to be optimistic. They struggled on offense for much of last season. Their defense loses a lot of experience coming into this season. We can beat 'em. Our QB play will be better than expected, and Fitz will have the team fired up and focused. Go Cats!

I realize all that. I'm looking for reasons to be optimistic. They struggled on offense for much of last season. Their defense loses a lot of experience coming into this season. We can beat 'em. Our QB play will be better than expected, and Fitz will have the team fired up and focused. Go Cats!

I think the main reason to be optimistic is consecutive losing seasons. Hopefully, the team and coaches realize they need to prepare differently to get a different result, and will make some changes in preparation and scheme. There is plenty of talent in Evanston, they just need to play at a consistently high level.

I'm fully expecting droski to show up at some point before the Stanford game to beg us to beat Stanford... and then proceed to remind the board that Cal has the fastest team in the universe and the Bare Raid offense is awesome. Ho hum.

I think the main reason to be optimistic is consecutive losing seasons. Hopefully, the team and coaches realize they need to prepare differently to get a different result, and will make some changes in preparation and scheme.

Or....consecutive losing seasons are a good reason to be pessimistic, as they're an indication of a deeper flaw in the system somewhere. I'm as optimistic as any 'Cats fan here, but the struggles we saw with the WR and OL groups last season may still linger into this one. We won't know until we see them on the field again. On defense, we're talented and experienced with the DL and DBs, but there's not much depth or experience at the LB position heading into the season. We'll see who steps up and how effective they can be. On offense, we have probably the most talented group of RBs I can ever remember seeing at NU, and yet we'll have a QB (whichever one, take your pick) with little to no real game experience.

Lots of questions with this team heading into the '15 season. Also lots of talent on the roster. We'll see how they respond to two straight disappointing seasons, and we'll see how quickly some of the young guys can step up and be successful. Starting the season with Stanford is going to be tough, however. Little margin for error in that one.

Stanfurd has fans?

Stanfurd has fans?

Droski! That was quick. I don't know, you tell us - does Stanford (sic) have fans? Should we expect to have any of them come by here in the upcoming months to discuss the game?

Past arguments with you aside, I think we we're in agreement here that we both want to see Northwestern puts the beat down on Stanford on September 5. Whether or not that actually happens is a different story....

Couple of questions for you about Cal. Any expectation that the defense will be improved? And is Goff gone to the NFL after this season? He's a heck of a QB, and he's been a great competitor from the start. I imagine he'll have a nice career in the NFL. Now only if Cal can develop some semblance of defense, they might have a decent season in '15.

Reactions: PurpleWave
Droski! That was quick. I don't know, you tell us - does Stanford (sic) have fans? Should we expect to have any of them come by here in the upcoming months to discuss the game?

Past arguments with you aside, I think we we're in agreement here that we both want to see Northwestern puts the beat down on Stanford on September 5. Whether or not that actually happens is a different story....

Couple of questions for you about Cal. Any expectation that the defense will be improved? And is Goff gone to the NFL after this season? He's a heck of a QB, and he's been a great competitor from the start. I imagine he'll have a nice career in the NFL. Now only if Cal can develop some semblance of defense, they might have a decent season in '15.

They don't have many. I wouldn't expect many to come around here.

Absolutely.

The defense should be improved, but I wouldn't expect it to be greatly improved. I fully expect goff to go pro.

I think most teams would be favs against us since we have been in our 6-14 tailspin. No fun, and my purple kool Aid is in need of a refill.

I think most teams would be favs against us since we have been in our 6-14 tailspin. No fun, and my purple kool Aid is in need of a refill.
True, but NU seems to play better under Fitz as an underdog than as a favorite. Right now, I can only see NU favored in 3 games: Letterman U, EIU and PU. Maybe that bodes well for 2015!!!

True, but NU seems to play better under Fitz as an underdog than as a favorite. Right now, I can only see NU favored in 3 games: Letterman U, EIU and PU. Maybe that bodes well for 2015!!!
Well, I pretty much don't have any hope since no changes were made. So, any stats really don't matter to me. I'm pretty much dialed out of NU football. But, all I would need is a spark to start the purple fire within again. I take no pleasure in saying this but I'm more of a NU Basketball fan now. Going to NU football games used to be a sacred, now it's just about going to meet up with a few buddies. I'll go to the Duke party as well if FloridAlum does it. That should be fun.

Well, I pretty much don't have any hope since no changes were made. So, any stats really don't matter to me. I'm pretty much dialed out of NU football. But, all I would need is a spark to start the purple fire within again. I take no pleasure in saying this but I'm more of a NU Basketball fan now. Going to NU football games used to be a sacred, now it's just about going to meet up with a few buddies. I'll go to the Duke party as well if FloridAlum does it. That should be fun.

Yet you insist on keeping up on your "debbie downer" act around here? Why?

Well the first season team win totals are out, and they have us lined at 6.5 wins. For those that care, here is the big ten:

Ohio State 11
Wisconsin 10 (but under is -210 ... so more like 9.5)
Michigan State 9.5
Nebraska 8
Michigan 7.5
Cats 6.5
Indiana 6
Minnesota 5.5

Maryland, Illinois, Rutgers, Iowa not listed

on our schedule:

Stanford 9
Duke 7
Ball State 7

https://www.sportsinsights.com/blog/2015-college-football-win-totals/

Well the first season team win totals are out, and they have us lined at 6.5 wins. For those that care, here is the big ten:

Ohio State 11
Wisconsin 10 (but under is -210 ... so more like 9.5)
Michigan State 9.5
Nebraska 8
Michigan 7.5
Cats 6.5
Indiana 6
Minnesota 5.5

https://www.sportsinsights.com/blog/2015-college-football-win-totals/

How the heck is the o/u for Minnesota at 5.5 wins? Sure, they'll start the season with an almost sure loss to TCU, but the rest of their nonconference schedule doesn't look bad. They had a solid season last year, and I've seen them on several preseason top 25 lists (for whatever that's worth). What am I missing here?

Similarly, looking at the schedule, I'd find it very hard to take the over for Northwestern at 6.5 wins. The odds say we'll be 2-2 in nonconference play, and I certainly don't see five easy wins (much less three or four) on the conference schedule. I'd obviously love the 'Cats to surprise to the upside this year - and I still believe in Fitz's ability to keep the guys focused and fired up - but with so many question marks heading into the season, I personally wouldn't bet on them getting to seven wins. Prove me wrong, guys!

Turk needs a kick in the ass. Don't care for his negativity and loser attitude. The Cats will get to at least 7 wins this year.

To get your goat? He's getting the rest of ours in the process--playing over the top devil's advocate. The only thing that will stop him is the Wildcats winning. Both of which would be a good thing.

Last edited:
I said "pretty much". But im not sure i off
If u have any of that purple kool aid then dont b shy about passing it on the left hand side.
I was speaking to NJcat and expressing my predicament as a cat fan, as opposed to assessing the predicament of the program. That said, if you have a jug of that purple kool aid then don't be so stingy with it. I've sorta reached a null point with NU football. I don't think I'm the only one. I didn't get the slightest impression that there was much excitement in the stands or many fans that even bothered to go to the games. I'm a fan insomuch that I will cheer them on to win, go to the Stanford game, and fly to the Duke game. And I have season tickets and hope to go to other games, but I freely admit that if we don't look too good against Stanford and Duke, I may dial out with other things of interest in my life. I don't shelve other things that are more important to me now, for NU football, as much as I used to. Even if I don't go to the games, I still get excited when I watch them on TV at Ubercat's house. UM fans next door can hear our NU chants.

Just being honest. If it comes across as Debbie Downer, then my sincere apologies. I'm fresh out of purple aid. And if assessing my lack of hope for this year is a Debbie downer is wrong or not wanted, then is this exclusively a place for Pollyanna's still? I'm not being rude to you, so why do you have to be rude to me? Please respect that I prolly represent the opinion of a lot more fans than you do. And although I hope I'm wrong, I wouldnt' be surprised if the pre season mags have us pegged for last place in our division. Not that I would believe that, but just saying.

Turk needs a kick in the ass. Don't care for his negativity and loser attitude. The Cats will get to at least 7 wins this year.
And why do I need a kick in the ass? Is it negative to be honest? And does your opinion have any more validity than mine? You predicted 7 wins. That necessarily means you think we will beat Stanford and Duke. Bravo. I hope we do. I'll be there for both games and it sure as heck will make the flight back from Duke a lot more pleasurable.

I myself am uncomfortable putting such a high mark on the season given the new OL and new QB. Thorson has the talent but he will really have to have a special season to pick up 7 wins. Not saying he can't do it but I don't think many fans will claim 7 wins. Non NU fans would prolly say we will finish last in our division. I'd like to think not.

Go Cats!

You repeat the same things. We all get that you are not enthusiastic about the program at this point. Why keep telling us the same thing? And if some of us try to stay positive you ridicule us as pollyanna fans. You crossed the line many times, on this site and recently on Scout, where you took the gloves off and said some really unsavory things about some players, recruits, coaches, LouV, Rivals, other posters... when you post on the Internet it's all there for the world to see. Spin it anyway you want but you thought you could vomit on the program and still expect people to respect your opinions? Another thing, Glades needs no one to defend him but the stuff you said to Glades was unbelievably mean and vicious. You've been a very naughty boy Turk.

Reactions: FloridAlum
You repeat the same things. We all get that you are not enthusiastic about the program at this point. Why keep telling us the same thing? And if some of us try to stay positive you ridicule us as pollyanna fans. You crossed the line many times, on this site and recently on Scout, where you took the gloves off and said some really unsavory things about some players, recruits, coaches, LouV, Rivals, other posters... when you post on the Internet it's all there for the world to see. Spin it anyway you want but you thought you could vomit on the program and still expect people to respect your opinions? Another thing, Glades needs no one to defend him but the stuff you said to Glades was unbelievably mean and vicious. You've been a very naughty boy Turk.
We all repeat the same things. Opinions and conversations will only shift when the wins and/or losses start piling up.

At any rate, being rude isn't proving your point.

Carry on!

Reactions: NJCat83588
Non NU fans would prolly say we will finish last in our division. I'd like to think not.
Go Cats!

I think most non NU fans "prolly" realize that we're in the same division as Purdue and Illinois, and so they wouldn't pick us to finish last in the division. Illinois is bad. Purdue is worse. We're not that bad. You know all that, but you like to stir the pot anyway. As tough as the past two seasons have been, we've still been middle of the pack in our division. We beat Wisconsin, which won the division. We were very close to beating Minnesota (argh, the kickoff coverage!) which finished second. We lost to Illinois with half our team, including the starting QB, injured. We beat Notre Dame in South Bend. We're not a irrefutably bad football team.

We could have also easily been 7-5 instead of 5-7 the previous year -- Neb won on a last second Hail Mary, and Michigan lucked out when our DB broke up the pass but the deflection ended up in the receiver's hands. Football is a game of inches sometimes, and we were not as bad as our record may suggest.

We could have also easily been 7-5 instead of 5-7 the previous year -- Neb won on a last second Hail Mary, and Michigan lucked out when our DB broke up the pass but the deflection ended up in the receiver's hands. Football is a game of inches sometimes, and we were not as bad as our record may suggest.
2013 was one story, but last year was a true-to-life, NU-actually-had-good-luck-to-get-to-5-7 disaster.

Minny and Michigan were the close losses, but Minny was the better team and Michigan the less-atrocious team. It took a massive brain fart from Brian Kelly to save NU from 4-8.

I don't see any losses that got away... NIU and Cal were simply better those days. Same with Illinois and Iowa (maybe Fitz's lowest point as a coach) and Nebraska - all unmitigated disasters.

I follow NU football passionately, but I enter this season just hoping that October is worth watching. I hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: NJCat83588
2013 was one story, but last year was a true-to-life, NU-actually-had-good-luck-to-get-to-5-7 disaster.

Minny and Michigan were the close losses, but Minny was the better team and Michigan the less-atrocious team. It took a massive brain fart from Brian Kelly to save NU from 4-8.

I don't see any losses that got away... NIU and Cal were simply better those days. Same with Illinois and Iowa (maybe Fitz's lowest point as a coach) and Nebraska - all unmitigated disasters.

I follow NU football passionately, but I enter this season just hoping that October is worth watching. I hope I'm wrong.

This.

NU has had losing seasons 3 of the last 4 years, and 2015 looks very challenging. Hard to be optimistic about the record when breaking in a new QB, whoever he is. Stanford and @Duke will be upsets if NU wins, and odds are NU wins its typical 3 or so Big 10 games including one upset. So I'm expecting another 5 win season, but hoping against hope for a 7 win regular season and a bowl.

Reactions: Turk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT