ADVERTISEMENT

Swanigan Makes It Official -- Heading to Purdue

Quite a turnaround for Purdue after finishing in last place in the Big 10 two years ago from my recollection. Now Maryland, Indiana, Purdue and MSU will be top 15-20 teams with UM and UW just a little bit farther back. The Big 10 is the premier basketball conference just about every season or two.

College teams struggle to get one center and now Purdue has 2-3. It makes you wonder how they were able to do so.

College teams struggle to get one center and now Purdue has 2-3. It makes you wonder how they were able to do so.

I don't think it's a big mystery and nothing to see here. He recruited his centers one at a time. And in the case of Swanigan, never stopped recruiting him.

I'm not sure that Swanigan makes Purdue that much better this year -- they were already going to be pretty good -- unless he plays at the 4. And I have no idea if that's even possible.

Either say they are cheating or don't. You've made is veiled semi-accusation 3 or 4 times now. While I absolutely love trashing programs that have proven to be dirty, I haven't seen or heard anything to lead me to believe that Purdue is one. If you have, please share.

Wonder if there are posts on other boards that say "NU hadn't had top 100 players for decades and now they'll have a few in the span of 2 years. It makes you wonder how they were able to do so."

The interesting thing about Painter is that for the past 4-5 years he has lost many highly rated northern Indiana recruits (e.g. Gary Harris, Glenn Robinson III, Zac Irvin) to other Big 10 schools and now he is winning those tough recruiting battles. That is a fact. Also, I bring it up because there was a school recruiting Haas very hard who was a good fit for him to play more minutes than he did at Purdue this year. Also, there is a school who is recruiting very hard against Purdue for the commitment of another big man whose name is Barret Bensen. Do you know who that school is? ...

Answer: Chris Collins and NU. And no, I am not sorry, to be showing some of my bias to NU on a NU fan's website.

The interesting thing about Painter is that for the past 4-5 years he has lost many highly rated northern Indiana recruits (e.g. Gary Harris, Glenn Robinson III, Zac Irvin) to other Big 10 schools and now he is winning those tough recruiting battles. That is a fact. Also, I bring it up because there was a school recruiting Haas very hard who was a good fit for him to play more minutes than he did at Purdue this year. Also, there is a school who is recruiting very hard against Purdue for the commitment of another big man whose name is Barret Bensen. Do you know who that school is? ...

Answer: Chris Collins and NU. And no, I am not sorry, to be showing some of my bias to NU on a NU fan's website.

So you're saying that Purdue's recruiting is dirty? Just say it--say that you think they are cheating and offering illegal benefits (or whatever you think they are doing).

I know very well who is recruiting Benson. Just seems silly to say that our recruiting success is just hard-earned by Chris Collins while Painter is cheating without any evidence or even smoke.

No, I do not have the time to conduct a NCAA investigation to conclude that but when a coach feels the heat like Painter did after finishing last in the Big 10 two years ago and does not make the tournament for a number of years and wants to keep his job, one might conclude that Painter might start recruiting extra hard and you can infer whatever you want from his recruiting extra hard means. I am just glad that as NU fan, Collins out-recruited him for McIntosh.

No, I do not have the time to conduct a NCAA investigation to conclude that but when a coach feels the heat like Painter did after finishing last in the Big 10 two years ago and does not make the tournament for a number of years and wants to keep his job, one might conclude that Painter might start recruiting extra hard and you can infer whatever you want from his recruiting extra hard means. I am just glad that as NU fan, Collins out-recruited him for McIntosh.

Maybe Collins just recruited McIntosh extra hard with more extra hardness than Painter. Infer whatever you want from "recruiting extra hard."

So you're saying that Purdue's recruiting is dirty? Just say it--say that you think they are cheating and offering illegal benefits (or whatever you think they are doing).

I know very well who is recruiting Benson. Just seems silly to say that our recruiting success is just hard-earned by Chris Collins while Painter is cheating without any evidence or even smoke.
Dirty? Hass is an Engineer major, decided Purdue was a better school then Wake Forest. The other are top students. The trouble before was several could not get into Purdue. One went to Cal another is unsigned all top 50 players in the Nation.

McIntosh, Jordan Ash and Aaron Falzon were all offered by Painter. Yes, they are all on the NU basketball team. Purdue likes JUCOs like Octeus and we all know how great students JUCOs are. Are you saying that Purdue would not have loved to received commitments from Gary Harris, Glenn Robinson III or Zac Irvin? Come on. Is AJ Hammons an engineer too? Let's not go overboard with your portrayal of Purdue as such a great academic school other than its engineering program. You are aware that you are on a NU blog, correct?

Di d I say AJ Hammons was an engineer student? I don't think so, but they are good students. I think Northwestern will beat out Rutgers in the standings. Maybe Minnesota as well.

Di d I say AJ Hammons was an engineer student? I don't think so, but they are good students. I think Northwestern will beat out Rutgers in the standings. Maybe Minnesota as well.

I think AJ is a pretty good kid. He would be a first round pick this year but he chose to stay at Purdue, finish school and finish his commitment to the team. That's really all we need to know about him. The engineering jab is a cheap shot. He's a bright young man.

I think AJ is a pretty good kid. He would be a first round pick this year but he chose to stay at Purdue, finish school and finish his commitment to the team. That's really all we need to know about him. The engineering jab is a cheap shot. He's a bright young man.
Agree. Painter is an underrated coach. His kids play hard for him, and like you said AJ could have gone pro but chose to stay. I seriously doubt there is anything dirty at PU.

All of the reports that I saw had Hammons going in the second round which means you are probably headed to the development league (NBDL) for a couple of years or overseas with the hope of getting picked up by a NBA team. I think a more realistic view is that Hammons was told by NBA scouts that he would not be a first round pick and he came back to Purdue to develop his game and become a first rounder with guaranteed money which I think is a smart move for him. As a prospect, I believe you can ask for a report when the NBA will project whether you will be drafted in the first or second round or not get drafted at all.

All of the reports that I saw had Hammons going in the second round which means you are probably headed to the development league (NBDL) for a couple of years or overseas with the hope of getting picked up by a NBA team. I think a more realistic view is that Hammons was told by NBA scouts that he would not be a first round pick and he came back to Purdue to develop his game and become a first rounder with guaranteed money which I think is a smart move for him. As a prospect, I believe you can ask for a report when the NBA will project whether you will be drafted in the first or second round or not get drafted at all.

I don't disagree that he could go in the second round. I see him as a bottom of the first round pick.

However, I think now he drops further down in the 2016 draft.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT