ADVERTISEMENT

THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD SUCKS!!!!

EvanstonCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
This new message board is the worst. I hate it.

C'MON EVERYBODY, LET'S GET OUT OF HERE AND JOIN TURK OVER AT SCOUT

Just kidding. It seems to work ok.

But, a few things I think you should add back:

1. Pull down to allow immediate access to the Rock, hoops board, rant board, etc...
2. Pull down to allow immediate access to other B1G team message sites. While you're at it, I think you should also add all the schools that are on our schedule, as some other sites do to make our trash talking easier, as well as the viewing of the meltdown when we beat their asses
3. The selection of emoticons is disappointing. Hopefully that is temporary. I will miss seeing Gladeskat post an emoticon smiley spinning around in a toilet, and I need an emoticon with a smiley using an AK-47. Nothing in the limited selection conveys quite the same message, and so many, many posts on this board beg for it
4. What happened to my signature? How can I spread education on the misdeeds of dOSU if you take away my signature? I'll be pissed if I have to refind the Jim Tressell running from the cops pic.
5. Ignore feature. Actually, I never thought this was valuable and have never used it, but it was something else I noticed was missing

That was just what I noticed more immediately...

Last edited:
You forgot the most important thing..... no thread view?? This isn't Russia. Is this Russia?

1. Pull down to allow immediate access to the Rock, hoops board, rant board, etc...
2. Pull down to allow immediate access to other B1G team message sites. While you're at it, I think you should also add all the schools that are on our schedule, as some other sites do to make our trash talking easier, as well as the viewing of the meltdown when we beat their asses
3. The selection of emoticons is disappointing. Hopefully that is temporary. I will miss seeing Gladeskat post an emoticon smiley spinning around in a toilet, and I need an emoticon with a smiley using an AK-47. Nothing in the limited selection conveys quite the same message, and so many, many posts on this board beg for it
4. What happened to my signature? How can I spread education on the misdeeds of dOSU if you take away my signature? I'll be pissed if I have to refind the Jim Tressell running from the cops pic.
5. Ignore feature. Actually, I never thought this was valuable and have never used it, but it was something else I noticed was missing

I agree with all you said hopefully they will add some things back in. I'm going to try and give it a week or two but the format feels "fluffy" to me. The old format felt more like lets get down to business and talk NU Sports. I don't want to get award notices and stuff like that.

You forgot the most important thing..... no thread view?? This isn't Russia. Is this Russia?

Actually, if we have to accept things as is, for the ability to get rid of thread view and their knuckle-dragging users once and for all, I'm all in!!!

I have always preferred topic view. The other changes I can either take or leave.

Another board that I am on has "Reputation" points or "Karma" points, where you can both upvote/exalt or downvote/smite a post or poster. Too bad on this board there's only "Like," given how much vitriol tends to fly on these boards.

"You vitriolic, patriotic, slam, fight, bright light, feeling pretty psyched..."

Or should I say that this is a tournament, a tournament, a tournament of lies? :p

Reactions: wildcat229
It's too light.For those of us with poor eyesight i is literally tough to read, especially the thread/topic titles. End the light gray and make it dark purple or black,

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Topic view sucks. you have to open the topic to see if there was any activity against it. and doesn't any comment against an old thread bring it back to the top? Like on the Scout board, where the spammer replied to a bunch of old messages like 2013 recruiting and it went to the top of the board. nice.

Reactions: Gladeskat
I'd really like to see the return of "Thread view". I like to know who has commented in a thread before opening it. Just seeing who is interacting with whom gives you an idea of the tone of the thread and whether it's worth checking out. Also topic view sometimes makes it harder to figure out who is responding to whom.

I'd really like to see the return of "Thread view". I like to know who has commented in a thread before opening it. Just seeing who is interacting with whom gives you an idea of the tone of the thread and whether it's worth checking out. Also topic view sometimes makes it harder to figure out who is responding to whom.
+1

Now just exactly what it better about this new format? The former one worked just fine. Is this just another example of change for the sake of change (but why does that always mean more complicated and obscure)? WHERE'S MY SIG PIC?

cat-change.jpg

Now just exactly what it better about this new format? The former one worked just fine. Is this just another example of change for the sake of change (but why does that always mean more complicated and obscure)? WHERE'S MY SIG PIC?

Now kids can't enjoy my two cats fighting anymore. Also cannot instantly tell if there have been new posts since your last visit and let you know exactly which posts are new. Board is also vulnerable to "spamming" (otherwise known as Gladesbombing). The wonderful thing about the old Rivals thread-view is Gladesbombing only affected topic-viewers. Thread viewers were unaffected.

It's going to take a little time to learn and get used to the new format on this board. In general, I really liked the flexibility the old format afforded, that allowed you to view a thread in thread view or topic view

EvanstonCat:

Why would you choose an inaccurate, commie rifle like the AK-47 only good for suppressing fire?

I agree with Ecat...the old emoticons need to be restored! The head spinning and going down the toilet (including the pipe) is very important for communication. So is the emoticon of the guy taking a 10-foot dump.

I don't like the new format either. This is just another case of a company changing its website and making it worse. Happens all the time. I really do wonder who the beta test groups are for these new designs - certainly not me.

I don't like the new format either. This is just another case of a company changing its website and making it worse. Happens all the time. I really do wonder who the beta test groups are for these new designs - certainly not me.

How does one have a conversation with another poster? I cannot find the instructions to do so.

There are a lot of things that are better. Some of the improvements are that they are designed to run on a PC, tablet or phone, so you don't need different addresses. You can embed a lot more content, such as video and tweets. There's now private messaging, and the search and alert tools are much better. Quoting other posts is a lot easier, too. The improvements are there -- you just haven't figured out how to use them yet.

On Rivals' side, site administrators and moderators have a lot more controls now. (Of course, I don't know how to use them yet, but I will in time.) They are also faster and -- this is big -- passed a lot of tests to ensure that they can handle the traffic that caused Rivals to crash on NSD a couple times.

The bottom line is we'll all get used to it. No one likes change -- me included. I was completely lost this morning and didn't even know how to log in. But day-by-day, we'll get better and this will become the norm. Then, one day in the distant future, we will all complain that they took these boards away for another upgrade.

Can one of you topic users post a tutorial here. How the heck do you tell who is replying to whom? How do know which comments are new and which ones you've already read? You know... stuff like this wouldn't happen if we had formed our damn union!

Also, there are zero instructions for the "Conversation" PM functions. Also, not having thread view and the flexibility to choose sucks

Last edited:
One good thing is that there's no need for Villox's ignore script anymore - the new functionality completely removes anyone from sight that you put on ignore. You just have to go into their profile name to ignore them, as opposed to doing it from within a conversation.

There are a lot of things that are better. Some of the improvements are that they are designed to run on a PC, tablet or phone, so you don't need different addresses. You can embed a lot more content, such as video and tweets. There's now private messaging, and the search and alert tools are much better. Quoting other posts is a lot easier, too. The improvements are there -- you just haven't figured out how to use them yet.

On Rivals' side, site administrators and moderators have a lot more controls now. (Of course, I don't know how to use them yet, but I will in time.) They are also faster and -- this is big -- passed a lot of tests to ensure that they can handle the traffic that caused Rivals to crash on NSD a couple times.

The bottom line is we'll all get used to it. No one likes change -- me included. I was completely lost this morning and didn't even know how to log in. But day-by-day, we'll get better and this will become the norm. Then, one day in the distant future, we will all complain that they took these boards away for another upgrade.
Right, how do you log in....for starters?

The "Colleges" tab on the upper right provides a pull down to other conferences and teams.

Welcome to the beta test group!

I liked being able to switch to the old editor to use html. I could format posts however I wanted really quickly using html. Is there still a way to accomplish this?

I can apparently switch to a "bb code" editor but that's like fake html and doesn't have nearly the flexibility

The website's Facebook-like design de-emphasizes its greatest asset: fanatic commentary. The former design, monochromatic, prosaic and simplistic, was more inviting and accessible to review and contribute posts. What's wrong with retro?

One thing the new change has done is allowed people who have been banned by particular boards to post again. For example, I can now post on the Iowa, Illinois, and Purdue boards again. Apparently all is forgiven now.

Okay, wildcat229, how did you get your little photo in there? Any help will be appreciated!

Click on your name at the upper right. It goes to a Personal Details page for your account. You can then click on the stock avatar and upload your own picture.

I missed the old format for a few hours. Now I like this one just fine.

Right, how do you log in....for starters?
Well, youhave to remember your password which I don't so I was relieved when I got on this morning. I wouldn't know where to begin if my computer logged me off. It's been years.

One thing the new change has done is allowed people who have been banned by particular boards to post again. For example, I can now post on the Iowa, Illinois, and Purdue boards again. Apparently all is forgiven now.

How long do you think you will be able to make that last?;)

I'm going to try my darndest to not get banned. However, any NORMAL post with Illinois fans will get you banned in a flash. Defend NU from their irrational attacks in a polite way and you get banned. They just don't want to hear anything from NU fans over there. You have to give the Illini fans a blow job every time you post over there to not get banned.

I just posted my wishes for a speedy recovery for Dudek. We'll see if I get banned.

Meanwhile they're wallowing in pity over Dudek getting injured, yet they said "Tough shitskis" when CJones, Ellis, Campbell, McEvilly, Kuhar, Vault, and a half dozen others were out for the season. I want to rub it in in the worst way to those hypocrits!

Last edited:
I have always preferred topic view. The other changes I can either take or leave.

Another board that I am on has "Reputation" points or "Karma" points, where you can both upvote/exalt or downvote/smite a post or poster. Too bad on this board there's only "Like," given how much vitriol tends to fly on these boards.

"You vitriolic, patriotic, slam, fight, bright light, feeling pretty psyched..."

Or should I say that this is a tournament, a tournament, a tournament of lies? :p

Topic view sucks. you have to open the topic to see if there was any activity against it. and doesn't any comment against an old thread bring it back to the top? Like on the Scout board, where the spammer replied to a bunch of old messages like 2013 recruiting and it went to the top of the board. nice.

You're referring to the GladesBomb(tm). Yes, that is one of topic view's drawbacks. It is more susceptible to such terrorist actions. But, a strong moderator can easily deter or boot such perpetrators, so the terrorists only unleash such WMD's on unmoderated boards like Scout.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT