ADVERTISEMENT

The story on Travis Whillock's commitment

After watching Travis Whillock's, highlights on Hudl, I would not rate him as a 2-star recruit. He's athletic and can really hit. The other sites rate him as a 3-star.

After watching Travis Whillock's, highlights on Hudl, I would not rate him as a 2-star recruit. He's athletic and can really hit. The other sites rate him as a 3-star.
I've never been a fan of "Star" ratings...remember JJ Watt was a 2 Star......Travis is a football player plain and simple. A recruiter once told me that they stayed away from Katy players because they were "Too well coached" and they didnt think they could coach them up anymore which is garbage in my opinion. You guys are getting a heck of a ball player.

I've never been a fan of "Star" ratings...remember JJ Watt was a 2 Star......Travis is a football player plain and simple. A recruiter once told me that they stayed away from Katy players because they were "Too well coached" and they didnt think they could coach them up anymore which is garbage in my opinion. You guys are getting a heck of a ball player.

The issue is more than players from truly top-notch HS programs are often close to their ceiling thereby limiting the developmental upside rather than not being able to coach up different techniques.

The issue is more than players from truly top-notch HS programs are often close to their ceiling thereby limiting the developmental upside rather than not being able to coach up different techniques.
So they kids get looked over for being too well coached. I've always said give me the kid that runs the 4.7 that knows where he's supposed to be and knows his assignments over the kid that runs 4.4 and does not.

So they kids get looked over for being too well coached. I've always said give me the kid that runs the 4.7 that knows where he's supposed to be and knows his assignments over the kid that runs 4.4 and does not.
(Not commenting on anyone specific)

Yep. Just like the NBA prefers drafting a 19 year old freshman who has room for improvement than a 24 year old 5th year senior. College coaches believe they can teach assignments and technique. If they can't, they probably shouldn't be college coaches. They also may be thinking that the player won't be on the field til his 3rd year in the program and they'll have time to coach them up. As such, a poorly coached freak athlete may be more appealing than a less athletic player that knows what he's doing.

Eh... Northwestern has made a living off lesser athletes who know how to play the game, but truly elite athleticism can cover up a lot of shortfalls in technique/knowledge. The most obvious example in recent Northwestern football is Sherrick McManis, who played as a true freshman and had the physical skills to stick with Ted Ginn Jr. without any real idea what he was doing. He has enjoyed a nice career in the NFL and is a special teams player for the Bears.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT