ADVERTISEMENT

Thorson AND Alviti elected to Leadsership Council

Or the election is based on class and each is a leader within that group (which is what I would hope/expect of quarterbacks).
I think the telling thing is that Oliver is not on the leadership council.

Gotta love that Tom Hruby is on it. How many other schools put a guy who is a walk on, 13 years older than most the team ie completely out of their social circles, and really doesn't get much playing time in a position like this?

Also, why are there more sophomores than juniors? Thought it was supposed to escalate in numbers by year.

Seniors
WR Christian Jones (3)
DL Sean McEvilly (3)
SB Dan Vitale (3)
DL Deonte Gibson (2)
S Traveon Henry (2)
DL C.J. Robbins (1)
SB Tom Hruby (1)

Juniors
WR Stephen Buckley (1)
CB Matt Harris (1)

Sophomores
QB Matt Alviti (2)
LB Anthony Walker (1)
SB Jayme Taylor (1)
RB Justin Jackson (1)

Freshmen
QB Clayton Thorson (1)

Gotta love that Tom Hruby is on it. How many other schools put a guy who is a walk on, 13 years older than most the team ie completely out of their social circles, and really doesn't get much playing time in a position like this?

Also, why are there more sophomores than juniors? Thought it was supposed to escalate in numbers by year.

Seniors
WR Christian Jones (3)
DL Sean McEvilly (3)
SB Dan Vitale (3)
DL Deonte Gibson (2)
S Traveon Henry (2)
DL C.J. Robbins (1)
SB Tom Hruby (1)

Juniors
WR Stephen Buckley (1)
CB Matt Harris (1)

Sophomores
QB Matt Alviti (2)
LB Anthony Walker (1)
SB Jayme Taylor (1)
RB Justin Jackson (1)

Freshmen
QB Clayton Thorson (1)

A team that respects the hell out of Tom, what he's done, what he's doing, and how he carries himself. He clearly has leadership skills that he developed with the SEALs, but he's also just a great, stand-up guy who's very easy to respect.

As far as class distribution, there's always a little bit of gray area in the elections. One way or another, the "right" guys tend to find themselves on the Council.

A team that respects the hell out of Tom, what he's done, what he's doing, and how he carries himself. He clearly has leadership skills that he developed with the SEALs, but he's also just a great, stand-up guy who's very easy to respect.

As far as class distribution, there's always a little bit of gray area in the elections. One way or another, the "right" guys tend to find themselves on the Council.
Do I further read into you commenting about everything I commented on except about reading into Oliver not being on the council?

This is no disrespect to Zak. He has been a good soldier through this all. That said, it appears that the other two may have separated from him in the race. This is encouraging, since Zak was presumed to be (by the coaches) not as effective as a one-legged Trevor next year.

Maybe I am reading too much into this LC thing (hey, it's June, what else is there?), but I really think we need something above and beyond what Zak appears to offer, in order to succeed.

The leadership council was voted on BEFORE spring practice, so maybe we shouldn't read too much into the QB situation?

Reading between the lines of what gcg says, it seems the coaches also get to "vote" in the LC elections. I

Looking at spring practice on TV I simply could not say that any of the qbs stood out as "clearly the best"

Sorry, but I remain skeptical about the LC. Most are skill position guys. Fitz's yes men. How many of these guys are the 'assholes' and workout warriors that Nate Williams says we need more of to be successful.

Yup, I'm being contrarian again, but I seriously question the politics of popularity and the degree to which the real workout warriors are not being selected. It reminds me of being on the high school student council. Who cares? All the nice milquetoasts get elected. Mavericks and real leaders don't need their independent leadership to be validated by LC's. How many guys did Fitz have to beg to be on the LC this year? It was telling to me that a bad-ass competitor like Kane Colter didn't want to be bothered with the LC.

Last edited:
Glades, I bet that snub fueled you every step of the way. We're lucky that that busybody helped make you the maverick you are.

Glades, I bet that snub fueled you every step of the way. We're lucky that that busybody helped make you the maverick you are.

Oh please.

I admit it was a stupid post. I was just an effed up kid in a stressed family situation at that time. Athletics helped me get my act together. I still wonder why more workout warriors on our team are not on the LC. Do they have better things to do...like workout?

Last edited:
Oh please.

I admit it was a stupid post. I was just an effed up kid in a stressed family situation at that time. Athletics helped me get my act together. I still wonder why more workout warriors on our team are not on the LC. Do they have better things to do...like workout?

We have workout warriors?

If you're the head guy of an organization, you want your leaders to be aligned with the mission and be able to implement your strategy. You also want leaders who will challenge the head guy if necessary. If the LC is to be effective, its members have to be able to play both roles effectively. You don't necessarily need mavericks.

Oh please.

I probably should have added a sarcasm tag or emoji or something.

Embrace the pain, Glades. Goddammit, you know and I know that (oh, shit, you edited it) you would have been the best g-d hall monitor or eraser cleaner that Sunnyside Middle School would have ever seen.

I probably should have added a sarcasm tag or emoji or something.

Embrace the pain, Glades. Goddammit, you know and I know that (oh, shit, you edited it) you would have been the best g-d hall monitor or eraser cleaner that Sunnyside Middle School would have ever seen.

It was safety patrol, dammit. Nope. I was a cigarette smoking, rock throwing punk in grade school and middle school. I was not to be trusted with the lives of school children. It's a miracle I didn't go to Charlietown for high school with wrasslerone.

Hail to the mavericks! We don't need no stinkin' leadership council.

ADVERTISEMENT