ADVERTISEMENT

Top seven scorers leaving Kentucky

Geez, imagine if they weren't legally restricted from forced rent-a-player-ness.

Hate the game, not the players.

I don't understand how KY fans can be such big fans of their semipro basketball program. Those players aren't KY students.

I thought it would have been great if the Harrison twins declared themselves for the NBA draft, and the others just announced that they were going to transfer.

I thought the NCAA was going to start penalizing teams that don't graduate their players (low APR score)? Is my memory faulty? Did these reforms not get implemented? If any team were hit with such a penalty I would think it would be Kentucky.

NCAA grants APR exemptions for players going pro if they are in good academic standing.

Originally posted by Seattle_Cat:
I don't understand how KY fans can be such big fans of their semipro basketball program. Those players aren't KY students.
+1.

Not sure who is at fault here...Obviously if the coach is breaking recruiting rules he should be punished....but other than that, you can't fault the guy for trying to get the best possible players available to him....and that may mean players good enough to turn pro after 1-2 years in college...If they hadn't gone to KY they still would probably be going pro after a year....The 'solution' might mean for the NBA to increase the minimum-age (currently set at 19 per collective bargaining) or set a minimum number of successfully completed college credit hours (none currently)...the minimal age won't prevent this kind of players from going to a top league overseas to play while they get old enough for the NBA...And why wouldn't similar rules apply to young non-athletes uninterested in a college degree before working FT?? What's so special about basketball players?
Not sure anyone has done anything wrong here (other than possible recruiting violations if any has actually occured).

If you want to change this, and I think you should because it is more fun to follow college basketball when you get to follow kids over a number of years, then do it the way baseball does. Kids who want to can go pro straight out of high school or go to a junior college for a year or two, but if you sign a LOI with a 4-year school, you have to stay for at least three years. That gives the colleges credibility as educators, and it gives the players the freedom they deserve to go pro (NBA, NBDL, overseas, whatever) when they are ready.

True 88 but what baseball really does right is their minor league system. The NBA and then NFL continue to reel in the cash while letting colleges groom their future stars.

How is this any different than being a fan of a 1 year grad student transfer to NU - that's a so-called rent-a-player as well. Personally I don't have a problem with either, just find it odd that people get so bent out of shape about kids recognizing that they have a talent to be successful in a field where a college degree would not provide any benefit and they jump at that chance while they can. College isn't for everyone and shouldn't have to be and has nothing to do with being able to throw a ball in a basket really well.

The difference and it's a big one, is that the grad student can choose to play in the NBA and the kid who just finished high school can't.

Originally posted by PURPLECAT88:
If you want to change this, and I think you should because it is more fun to follow college basketball when you get to follow kids over a number of years, then do it the way baseball does. Kids who want to can go pro straight out of high school or go to a junior college for a year or two, but if you sign a LOI with a 4-year school, you have to stay for at least three years. That gives the colleges credibility as educators, and it gives the players the freedom they deserve to go pro (NBA, NBDL, overseas, whatever) when they are ready.
It is relevant to point out that the NBA USED to require that a player wait four years following his HS graduation to be eligible....why they changed? Because in 1971 the SUPREME COURT told them to (roughly provided the player could prove "financial hardship").

More recently the NBA wanted to set a 20-year minimal age requirement, but the PLAYERS opposed it, leading to the current compromise (19, one year removed from HS), under collective bargaining.

Conceivably the current arrangement could be challenged in court (not sure if anyone has tried or eventually someone will).

You are right - i was more responding to people getting on their high horse questioning how people can be fans of programs with kids who only play for one season, whether it is the kids first year or 5th year, who cares. The whole notion that higher education has a lick to do with playing professional sports is so mind-boggling stupid - a kid could become a professional in any other artistic or athletic (and many other) field without attending a day of college, unless it involves one of two fields that makes the colleges boatloads of money.

I agree with you. There is no difference, IF the 5th year grad transfer doesn't actually get a graduate degree. Just as much a mercenary as a 1-and-done Freshman.

I bet that 95% of the NU fans who criticize Kentucky or Duke or OSU for 1-and-dones would be delighted if one of these kids played at NU for a year, though!

Re: MLB is OK with that rule

The NBA can be reasoned with. A strong NCAA which publicizes their future players is good for the NBA. One-and-done has led to lower attendance and lower ratings for college hoops (the gambling-fueled NCAA tournament excepted). That's not good for anyone.

The NBA can be reasoned with. A strong NCAA which publicizes their future players is good for the NBA. One-and-done has led to lower attendance and lower ratings....
Read my previous post. The NBA HAD the 4-year-after-HS requirement but the SC told them to remove it (at least for hardship cases). Recently they wanted a 20 min age, but the UNION opposed it. The league needs NO convincing at all.

They need convincing about letting kids who don't want to go to college for three years have another path to the NBA. Without that, they will never survive the union and legal challenges.

They need convincing about letting kids who don't want to go to college for three years have another path to the NBA. Without that, they will never survive the union and legal challenges.
Are you sure you have researched the issues involved?

Under-agers can play in the NBA D-League....not to mentioned numerous pro-leagues overseas (the better of which may pay better and offer stronger competition than the D-league itself), from where the NBA does draw talent with some regularity. All these are de facto "minor leagues" for the NBA.

Indeed some players have chosen to play overseas when not able to play in the NBA because of reasons as discussed.

Originally posted by FeliSilvestris:
Not sure who is at fault here...Obviously if the coach is breaking recruiting rules he should be punished....but other than that, you can't fault the guy for trying to get the best possible players available to him....and that may mean players good enough to turn pro after 1-2 years in college...If they hadn't gone to KY they still would probably be going pro after a year....The 'solution' might mean for the NBA to increase the minimum-age (currently set at 19 per collective bargaining) or set a minimum number of successfully completed college credit hours (none currently)...the minimal age won't prevent this kind of players from going to a top league overseas to play while they get old enough for the NBA...And why wouldn't similar rules apply to young non-athletes uninterested in a college degree before working FT?? What's so special about basketball players?
Not sure anyone has done anything wrong here (other than possible recruiting violations if any has actually occured).
I'm not saying that anyone is at fault. I just don't understand how their fans can get much joy out of their success.

Originally posted by FeliSilvestris:
I'm not saying that anyone is at fault. I just don't understand how their fans can get much joy out of their success.
I don't see why they wouldn't. Afterall, these kids are KY students. You'd really hate them if they stayed for three years and KY dominated NCAA basketball.

You could say the same thing about UCLA 50 years ago when players were forced to go to college for three years. Future NBA stars flocked to UCLA to be coached by Wooden, and UCLA had college basketball in a stranglehold of talent. Second stringers became stars in the NBA.

LOL! That's a nice thought

The reality is that it's a bargaining chip during the collective bargaining sessions, nothing more. The NBA is a business and is looking out for itself. I'd like to see the evidence that the one and done has impacted college hoops attendance and ratings.

Originally posted by NURoseBowl:
+1.
Niether were many of the alumni.
devil.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT