ADVERTISEMENT

Utah starting QB entering portal - AFTER the bowl game

Wouldn't it just sum up modern day college football perfectly if he transfers to Northwestern?
If the transfer portal was a thing in 1995 or 96, Barnett may have tried to get our opposing QBs to transfer.

Why would his teammates or his coach want him on the field? Get gone, kiddo.

Because they like to win football games?

Rising was their #1 heading into the season, he’s been out all season with a knee injury. #3 Nate Johnson also in the portal, haven’t seen if he’s planning to play in the bowl game. #4 Brandon Rose is a freshman who got hurt during camp and they’re apparently hoping to redshirt. #5 is a JUCO walk-on with 10 career pass attempts.

• Wow
Reactions: drewjin
Why would his teammates or his coach want him on the field? Get gone, kiddo.
In this case, I suspect the coaches had conveyed to him that Cameron Rising will be the starter next season, so if he wants to be a starter next season, it will have to be elsewhere. I don't think this is a case of quitting on the team (indeed, he wants to be available to help the team win their bowl game).

It's sort of like a Peyton Ramsey/Michael Penix situation, I think.

If I was a five star high school QB, I would sign up with NU in a heartbeat figuring I could play right away -or at least within a year - and then transfer to a big boy for the check and polishing on the national stage. Exactly the opposite of what everyone is doing now of getting tool blocked behind an assembly line of high recruits. Kind of like the Kansas City Athletics being the farm team for the New York Yankees.

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
If I was a five star high school QB, I would sign up with NU in a heartbeat figuring I could play right away -or at least within a year - and then transfer to a big boy for the check and polishing on the national stage. Exactly the opposite of what everyone is doing now of getting tool blocked behind an assembly line of high recruits. Kind of like the Kansas City Athletics being the farm team for the New York Yankees.
5 star recruits don't think that way. And with the big paychecks they're getting now, the remote possibility of that that happening went to zero.

5 star recruits don't think that way. And with the big paychecks they're getting now, the remote possibility of that that happening went to zero.

They’re also already getting paid upfront without having to play anywhere else.

Reactions: phatcat

Probably right but a little longer term thinking could really help them achieve their goals. I am not talking a freshman than can come in and start first day at OSU but one that maybe could start at a QB-lite school like NU. More money will be there if they are a proven commodity.

I like this kid. Before he got injured, I watched him for a couple games as Rising's replacement. He did a good job under what were not the best circumstances (kinda reminds me of a certain coach). He has "moxie". He's also done a little pig farming. I think he's a Braun kinda guy. Great fit at NU!

I like this kid. Before he got injured, I watched him for a couple games as Rising's replacement. He did a good job under what were not the best circumstances (kinda reminds me of a certain coach). He has "moxie". He's also done a little pig farming. I think he's a Braun kinda guy. Great fit at NU!
Would Evanston need to pass some kind of ordinance to allow a Pig Farmer to cross into city territory?

It's interesting though that he'll be playing after stating his intention to transfer, but whatever.

HOWEVER...what if he ultimately transfers to NU? That would make his game with us weird if he's had any contact with NU or inkling that he might go there. I wonder how many examples there are of players transferring to their bowl opponent.

I know Chris Collins has said part of why he liked/noticed Ryan Langborg is he saw him in Sacramento playing for Princeton when NU was there, but they didn't play against each other.

Kansas City Athletics and NY Yankees is a good simile, but I’m concerned that college football will be more like Harlem Globetrotters and Washington Generals.

To look like crap playing behind a garbage OL, slow WRs, and an OC who’s stuck in 1995?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT