ADVERTISEMENT

[Video] How Northwestern's 5-Out offense upset Indiana and Michigan State

Excellent stuff. I am eating my words about the lack of a structured Collins offense. This action is pretty complex. Team should only get better running it as the year goes on.

Nance’s dribble has improved dramatically. The one drive against MSU where he finishes on his off foot was not something he could have done last year.

Great video. Amazing how the Princeton O principles have transformed basketball. Pull your big out of the paint, space shooters all around the 3 pt line and focus on the most efficient shots in the game--3 pt and driving to the basket. I love that CC is doing this, we have the right personnel. Everyone except Gaines is a pretty good to very good 3 pt shooter and we have the athleticism and length to attack the basket.

Really great work on this video. I am much more familiar with the Xs and Os of football than basketball, so I love learning something new. This will help me be a more informed fan as I watch the games this year. Thanks!

Reactions: ThirdCoast
Excellent stuff. I am eating my words about the lack of a structured Collins offense. This action is pretty complex. Team should only get better running it as the year goes on.
I like how this offense lets the players be creative and gives many options to attack defenses.

Offensive schemes don’t win games. Offensive schemes playing to the strengths of the players do. But mostly, players interpretation of the schemes win games. And that’s very much coachable.

Cool video. Interesting to see how some of the Princeton stuff has survived

Obviously an oversimplification, but the “Princeton stuff” could be viewed as good basketball fundamentals paired with strict progressions to attack the weakness of a defense (particularly m2m). One time I heard John Calipari refer to his offense at Memphis as “Princeton on steriods”. Instead of bounce passes they threw alley oops off backdoor cuts.

The PO stood out during mid late 90s to mid 2000s because the game (especially at the pro ranks; outside of Sacramento of course) was moving more and more toward iso-ball. When the Rockets (analytics) and later/more importantly Warriors (personnel) started moving toward a style that emphasizes 3pt shooting, it became cool to be unselfish and focus on fundamentals again.

Unlike football, where innovation often comes from high school ranks and filters up, basketball has tended to move top down. As NU’s personnel started to change a couple of years ago, some of us were hoping Collins might consider transitioning toward the “5 out” approach described in the linked video as opposed to the “lead guard”/80s Bulls-ish style we saw ran with McIntosh’s class.

CC is an excellent recruiter, but the type of offensive style we are now seeing could play better on the recruiting trail and with the talent pool NU draws from, make his job a little easier.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT