ADVERTISEMENT

We’re not the only ones making dumb decisions.

Alan Smithee

Aug 13, 2002
UNL at NC St., with 26 seconds left in the 2nd OT.

Nebraska has a one-point lead and the ball, coming out of a timeout. Nebraska inbounds the ball, and NC St. shows no sign of fouling. So in that situation you hang onto the ball as long as you can, right? Shot clock is off. You can just run out the clock if they don’t foul you.
NO! You jack up a tough shot early in the possession.

Shot missed, NC St. rebounds, brings the ball upcourt, calls timeout with 10.6 left. So in that situation NC St. wants to inbound the ball, and try to get a good clean shot at the rim to take the lead, right? Nebraska doesn’t defend well and NC St takes it to the basket for a pretty routine layup and now they lead by 1.

Nebraska calls timeout with 4.6 left , down 1. They have to go the length of the court. If you’re Nebraska you want to inbound the ball to a guy with some momentum to get down court. They do.
If you’re NC St, you want to keep Neb from a totally easy path all the way down court to the basket, as only 4.6 seconds are left. The one thing you don’t want to do is foul (unless there’s a sure basket, as you’re up one and Nebraska is in the bonus but not the double bonus). NC St fouls well before the ball even crosses half court, with 2.5 seconds left. Clock stops.

Nebraska shooting 1-and-1 with 2.5 seconds left. They make the front end, miss the second, hello triple OT.

Last edited:
The problem with this game is Ed "The Show" Valentine who just stole the game from Nebraska by a) calling a foul when the other referees called a 'jump' ball and, b) reversing the out of bounds call. The officiating and the color announcer have been horrific.

The problem with this game is Ed "The Show" Valentine who just stole the game from Nebraska by a) calling a foul when the other referees called a 'jump' ball and, b) reversing the out of bounds call. The officiating and the color announcer have been horrific.
Yeah the out of bounds call was ridiculous. Crazy play but quite clear on the replay.

Nebraska looks like they have some talent and could be a tough out in the Big Ten. Yes/no?

Nebraska looks like they have some talent and could be a tough out in the Big Ten. Yes/no?
I’ve only watched from near the end of regulation, so I don’t have much basis to take a stand. I haven’t been impressed by the little I’ve seen, but no matter how good or bad we are in a given year, I think anyone in the conference is capable of beating us.

Did not watch the game, but the highlights seem of an entertaining one to watch. That missed call screwed UNL.

But check out this video. At the end, my man, in a boot, scooters over to get in on the scuffle between the two teams 🤣

UNL at NC St., with 26 seconds left in the 2nd OT.

Nebraska has a one-point lead and the ball, coming out of a timeout. Nebraska inbounds the ball, and NC St. shows no sign of fouling. So in that situation you hang onto the ball as long as you can, right? Shot clock is off. You can just run out the clock if they don’t foul you.
NO! You jack up a tough shot early in the possession.

Shot missed, NC St. rebounds, brings the ball upcourt, calls timeout with 10.6 left. So in that situation NC St. wants to inbound the ball, and try to get a good clean shot at the rim to take the lead, right? Nebraska doesn’t defend well and NC St takes it to the basket for a pretty routine layup and now they lead by 1.

Nebraska calls timeout with 4.6 left , down 1. They have to go the length of the court. If you’re Nebraska you want to inbound the ball to a guy with some momentum to get down court. They do.
If you’re NC St, you want to keep Neb from a totally easy path all the way down court to the basket, as only 4.6 seconds are left. The one thing you don’t want to do is foul (unless there’s a sure basket, as you’re up one and Nebraska is in the bonus but not the double bonus). NC St fouls well before the ball even crosses half court, with 2.5 seconds left. Clock stops.

Nebraska shooting 1-and-1 with 2.5 seconds left. They make the front end, miss the second, hello triple OT.
Two negatives dont make a positive.
Smithee/NC st -1
Turk/top people/ned +1

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT