ADVERTISEMENT

What a month June was for NU recruiting

Coach Pat Fitzgerald and Northwestern have to be celebrating after a June that saw them reel in 13 commitments.

Story: June was a boon for Northwestern
Good article Lou. Overall, this is shaping up as a really solid class by BIG standards. Lots of quality prospects with strong measurables, demonstrated productivity and/or developmental potential and the "good fit" qualities that often get overlooked by other programs. As an aside, I would add BC to Wisconsin when mentioning programs that we've consistently gotten the better of in recruiting this year. By my count, seven of our commits had Rivals reported BC offers, while six of them had the same from Bucky's Boys up in Madison.

Now if we can just get the game changing hat trick of a successful 2015 season, an early commit from Hunter Johnson and shovels in the ground on North campus. With those recruiting avantages in their pocket, would love to see what Fitz and his staff could accomplish in 2017.

GOUNUII

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Now if we can just get the game changing hat trick of a successful 2015 season, an early commit from Hunter Johnson and shovels in the ground on North campus. With those recruiting avantages in their pocket, would love to see what Fitz and his staff could accomplish in 2017.

GOUNUII

Shovels in the ground will be key. Once NU breaks ground, recruits can be sure that during their college career they will have one of the very best practice facilities in all of college football. It will be a selling feature like no other.

Good article Lou. Overall, this is shaping up as a really solid class by BIG standards. Lots of quality prospects with strong measurables, demonstrated productivity and/or developmental potential and the "good fit" qualities that often get overlooked by other programs. As an aside, I would add BC to Wisconsin when mentioning programs that we've consistently gotten the better of in recruiting this year. By my count, seven of our commits had Rivals reported BC offers, while six of them had the same from Bucky's Boys up in Madison.

GOUNUII

Good point, GoU. I just did a count and came up with six prospects who chose NU over BC, and six who chose NU over Illinois. And BC did beat out NU for Adam Korutz. I'm going to update the article.

Good point, GoU. I just did a count and came up with six prospects who chose NU over BC, and six who chose NU over Illinois. And BC did beat out NU for Adam Korutz. I'm going to update the article.

And Anthony Brown. And Ethan Tucky (kind of).

GOUNUII

Do we really have a shot at Johnson? Like really really?

And to clarify, that's just for the 13 June commits, not the entire class.

Shovels in the ground will be key. Once NU breaks ground, recruits can be sure that during their college career they will have one of the very best practice facilities in all of college football. It will be a selling feature like no other.
I disagree NJCat ... sorta. If given the choice of disappointing stagnation on the facilities front, but a 9-10 win season and a Hunter Johnson early commit or another 5-7 season and no Johnson, but shovels in the ground, I would take the former in a heartbeat. I want all 3. But would choose a return to winning big and an elite early QB commit over shovels. Remember, winning largely defines the pool of players you can get in on early, and players recruit players. No other player can have the impact of attracting other elite players like an elite QB commit. The domino effect for a program like NU could be dramatic if NU were to land Johnson on the heels of another successful season ... especially with better prospects within our traditional recruiting areas.

GOUNUII

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
I disagree NJCat ... sorta. If given the choice of disappointing stagnation on the facilities front, but a 9-10 win season and a Hunter Johnson early commit or another 5-7 season and no Johnson, but shovels in the ground, I would take the former in a heartbeat. I want all 3. But would choose a return to winning big and an elite early QB commit over shovels. Remember, winning largely defines the pool of players you can get in on early, and players recruit players. No other player can have the impact of attracting other elite players like an elite QB commit. The domino effect for a program like NU could be dramatic if NU were to land Johnson on the heels of another successful season ... especially with better prospects within our traditional recruiting areas.

GOUNUII

I agree with the way you lay out the two scenarios.

I just think it highly unlikely that NU a) goes 9-3 or 10-2 regular season in 2015, and b) gets an early commitment from Hunter Johnson. It could happen, but very long odds. And I agree getting the #1 QB would turn some heads.....

I think kids are kind of selfish. Yes, they want to win, and having a great QB is a good start to a winning program. But they also like creature comforts, and having a great place to practice, on campus, with all the latest locker room amenities, puts NU on par with anyone. Will NU suddenly start pulling in 4 and 5* players up and down the line-up? I doubt it. But I have no doubt that the average talent level will improve, otherwise why would NU do it? It HAS to be about winning more games, and obviously the powers that be at NU feel they have good enough coaches to win, so they are doubling down on facilities to make a difference. Build it, and they will come................

I agree with the way you lay out the two scenarios.

I just think it highly unlikely that NU a) goes 9-3 or 10-2 regular season in 2015, and b) gets an early commitment from Hunter Johnson. It could happen, but very long odds. And I agree getting the #1 QB would turn some heads.....

I think kids are kind of selfish. Yes, they want to win, and having a great QB is a good start to a winning program. But they also like creature comforts, and having a great place to practice, on campus, with all the latest locker room amenities, puts NU on par with anyone. Will NU suddenly start pulling in 4 and 5* players up and down the line-up? I doubt it. But I have no doubt that the average talent level will improve, otherwise why would NU do it? It HAS to be about winning more games, and obviously the powers that be at NU feel they have good enough coaches to win, so they are doubling down on facilities to make a difference. Build it, and they will come................
Doubling down is taking double as long as it should. I hope it is not too late. It would have been a perfect storm if the shovels had gone in the ground a year after the 10 win season.

ADVERTISEMENT