ADVERTISEMENT

Wickerpark soothsayer

Sec.112

Jun 17, 2001
Probably done to keep Gar and Pax away from him.

In one of the other threads, I believe this was said in jest on Tuesday about the CC extension. Am I understanding you correctly, Wickerpark?

I was half amused by the concept because I thought it wasn't too far out for Reinsdorf and any of his GM clowns.

It turns out Wickerpark wasn't too far off the mark.

Anyhow, the Bulls delivered us another cautionary tale of early contract extensions.

In one of the other threads, I believe this was said in jest on Tuesday about the CC extension. Am I understanding you correctly, Wickerpark?

I was half amused by the concept because I thought it wasn't too far out for Reinsdorf and any of his GM clowns.

It turns out Wickerpark wasn't too far off the mark.

Anyhow, the Bulls delivered us another cautionary tale of early contract extensions.
A lot has to do with how he is getting along with Phillips and company. It is a potentially good move. Again all guesses to salary are just that guesses.

Coach Chris Collins got a contract extension to make his salary more on par with other Big 10 coaches. Also, it will help in recruiting in ensuring that he will be there for four years for 2016 and 2017 recruits.

As for comparing NU's situation to the Bulls, that is difficult to do because the Bulls' decision making is complicated and backwards to say the least. The Bulls' GM at the time John Paxson wanted Doug Collins to be the coach before Thibodeau was hired. The Bulls' owner, Jerry Reinsdorf, did not want to hire and then eventually fire Doug Collins a second time and he wanted to hire Thibodeau. Gar Forman who was a high ranking personnel guy at the time always wanted his Iowa State buddy, Fred Hoiberg, who he coached as an assistant coach to Tim Floyd. Therefore, Paxson and Forman were always not pro-Thibodeau to begin with which is much unlike the Jim Phillips and Chris Collins' relationship. Phillips appears to be a big advocate and supporter of Chris Collins and his coaching staff which is completely different than the dysfunctional Bulls' structure.

ADVERTISEMENT