ADVERTISEMENT

Willie the wildcat

Deeringfish

Gold Member
Jun 23, 2008
Fitz51's thread reminded me of a question I have had.

I went to a production of Warhorse a year or so ago and they had these incredible life sized puppets of horses (Lion King had similar beasts). On the one had they were simply puppets and didn't even attempt to be "totally real" on the other hand, there were details and moments where the movement was so real you lost sight of the puppeteers completely and the illusion was incredible.

Willie is nice but not the most dynamic mascot. I don't want to replace Willie but I wondered what it would take to suggest that NU create a big cat to prowl the side lines it could be 10 feet tall and 30 feet long. It would be a great project for the drama dept or someone.

I have not seen any other school employ this technology and think it would get noticed and a lot of TV coverage.

That sort of outside the box promotional thinking we could use right now.

My idea: I'd like to get that mechanical animal that Katy Perry rode atop during the Super Bowl halftime show. I know it was supposed to be tiger, but it could easily pass for a wildcat. Perhaps the NFL no longer needs it.

I just think we need a big ass drum like Purdue's. Only bigger. Or maybe we could steal their drum as a prank and color it purple.

Originally posted by EvanstonCat:
I just think we need a big ass drum like Purdue's. Only bigger. Or maybe we could steal their drum as a prank and color it purple.
It's got to be a bigger drum to humiliate the Purdue band. Pull up right next to their drum for a side-by-side comparison. Bigger is better! Make it much louder, too, with a hidden stereo inside!

Then at halftime, the band can choreograph Apollo XI crashing on the moon.

Actually the drum is one of the "classic" on field spectacles I was thinking of except this would be more modern and sophisticated. Texas has that longhorn bull but I do't think painting a real tiger purple would be safe or go over very well with animal rights groups. That tiger the NFL used was too clunky, the things I saw on stage were really life like from moment to moment, it was fascinating.

Willie has always been whimpy--it's just part of the deal, back to the days when NU was a rich white kids school and it was considered ungentlemanly to appear too demonstratively competitive . Now that NU is seriously into the meritocracy race, with students vying for higher stakes than anchor desk positions, If we want to be convincing we need an actual wildcat--one that would roam the stands and attack and eat opposing fans.

This post was edited on 2/12 9:50 AM by stpaulcat

Not sure how you would train them to eat opposing fans but perhaps if you could train it to hate red and our fans to wear purple the fan vs. visitor casualty rate would be acceptable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT