ADVERTISEMENT

WWGBD?

CoralSpringsCat

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2002
Coral Springs, FL
I’ve experienced some dark times in Evanston first-hand. After our most difficult losses and our toughest seasons, Coach Barnett would round up the staff and bring the focus back to one thing, and one thing only…recruiting. It was always about recruiting for GB.. That was the mantra back then and should be the mantra today. We are woefully lacking at certain positions, it doesn’t matter who is coaching if we don’t improve our talent on both sides of the ball.

The next two weeks are going to be critical for our program. Exit interviews will take place. We will lose some players…it’s inevitable. We lost players after playing in the B1G championship and winning a bowl game. We need to mitigate the losses and retain our strongest players. Losing non-contributors will free up roster spots for incoming transfers.

Our coaches need to be on the phone tonight securing our 2022 commits and assure that they get to the finish line (early signing day is on December 15).

We need to lock up Flakes and Mitchell when they are on campus come December 4th for their OVs. We should be scouring other 2022 prospects we can flip to NU. We don’t want to reach, but our recruiting staff should most certainly be looking at commits to other schools that play positions where we are lacking. With so many coaching changes there should be even more decommits in the coming weeks. Look for others to be on campus for OVs. December 4th will be a vitally important weekend for us.

Next will be the transfer portal. NU has done quite well in identifying transfers that have come in and made an immediate impact. We can use help at QB, WR, OL, TE, DL, LB. And P. I have faith in our scouting staff…there are/will be plenty of options out there; plenty of players who will jump at the chance to play right away, compete in the B1G and obtain an NU degree. We need them.

Now that the season has ended…the real work is just beginning. With no bowl preparation, improving our roster will be the sole focus of our entire staff. We have until February 2nd to overhaul our roster for 2022. Based on last season’s off-season, I trust that our staff will again excel in this area. I promise you Fitz will not rest until our roster is complete. Buckle up boys. Keep the faith. The next three weeks are going to be a rollercoaster ride.

Go Cats!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News