ADVERTISEMENT

YEP, YET ANOTHER COMMIT: A SLEEPER IS NO. 10

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
Riley Lees, a former Miami (Ohio) commit from Libertyville (I'll.). Much more coming...

It is refreshing and genuine to hear how stoked he is to receive this opportunity. Welcome aboard Riley.

Interesting that he visited Northwestern while committed to Miami OH. Any whiners that say Fitz is too much of a "boy scout" to "play big boy recruiting" is just wrong.

See my post on The Rock, Shakes. Fitz is still a stickler on that issue, though I agree with your point that he's a big boy.

Interesting that he visited Northwestern while committed to Miami OH. Any whiners that say Fitz is too much of a "boy scout" to "play big boy recruiting" is just wrong.

In other words fitz is a hypocrite. Shocking

The depths of your soul. Subconsciously you know I'm right.

He is right, Fitz is a hypocrite on this issue. And it isn't news (see many previous examples, Flynn Nagel whom we poached from Duke the day before signing day, being the most recent before this). But, I'm glad that Fitz has no problems trying to poach other recruits.

I disagree that he should give up on players that want to take a second look, but that's another issue altogether.

He is right, Fitz is a hypocrite on this issue. And it isn't news (see many previous examples, Flynn Nagel whom we poached from Duke the day before signing day, being the most recent before this). But, I'm glad that Fitz has no problems trying to poach other recruits.

I disagree that he should give up on players that want to take a second look, but that's another issue altogether.
Exactly. If he allows kids with other offers to officially visit NU then he should also accept the fact that a VERBAL commit to NU has the right to look around. Just then fight to keep him committed to NU and not give up.

Exactly. If he allows kids with other offers to officially visit NU then he should also accept the fact that a VERBAL commit to NU has the right to look around. Just then fight to keep him committed to NU and not give up.

I don't particularly care whether he's right or wrong (Fitz has definitely softened on not recruiting committed players in recent years, but that's a different discussion I don't really want to get into)... I'm more shocked that he continues to surface on the Northwestern boards for no reason other than to sling some mud.

in fact the system sucks. these zillionaire coaches making plans on the whims of 16-17 year old's "verbal commitments". No system is perfect (see the med school's "matching" system for residencies - whoa), but this is silly season for sure. I guess the coaches figure they will get as many "commits" as they need, plus overcommit as we've discussed, thinking there will be attrition.

Speaking of recruiting, anyone else notice that Dantonio is tearing it up? He's like General Sherman on the recruiting trail. The reports of his death (after the arrival of Harbaugh) are greatly exaggerated. he is legit.

This guy is a sleeper only to those who have been asleep. Scout has him as the #1 athlete in Illinois, #3 in the midwest, and a ***. Ebert/Peterman redux.

Reactions: Ubermorgen
We have had great success with QBs playing WR - Bates & Brewer come to mind, though I am sure there were others. A big welcome to Riley.

Jeremy Ebert and Eric Peterman are two more.

In addition, Brad Phillips and Brendan Smith were two former high school QBs who did pretty damn well at safety, too.

We have had great success with QBs playing WR - Bates & Brewer come to mind, though I am sure there were others. A big welcome to Riley.
We have had others that we have turned into WRs but not that were actually recruited to be WR
Jeremy Ebert and Eric Peterman are two more.

In addition, Brad Phillips and Brendan Smith were two former high school QBs who did pretty damn well at safety, too.
I think one difference is that he is being recruited as a WR rather than recruited as a QB and then switched as Bates Brewer, etc.

There was also Tommy Fuessel who dominated most of the individual skill metrics prior to coming in and having his career cut short by injury.

There was also Tommy Fuessel who dominated most of the individual skill metrics prior to coming in and having his career cut short by injury.
His family is great and I was looking forward to seeing him play. Got to feel for the kid but at least he will have the NU degree

We have had others that we have turned into WRs but not that were actually recruited to be WR

I think one difference is that he is being recruited as a WR rather than recruited as a QB and then switched as Bates Brewer, etc.

While Bates, Brewer and Peterman came in as QBs, Ebert is the exception. He was recruited as a WR. (By the way, Lee Coleman and Tommy Fuessell were two other QBs recruited as WRs, but neither panned out, as Coleman never cracked the lineup and Fuessell had to retire due to an illness.)

Another former QB on the roster is Stephen Buckley, who came in as an athlete and has played RB and WR.

While Bates, Brewer and Peterman came in as QBs, Ebert is the exception. He was recruited as a WR. (By the way, Lee Coleman and Tommy Fuessell were two other QBs recruited as WRs, but neither panned out, as Coleman never cracked the lineup and Fuessell got hurt.)

Another former QB on the roster is Stephen Buckley, who came in as an athlete and has played RB and WR.

I never heard the story. Was Fuessell hurt or ill?

I never heard the story. Was Fuessell hurt or ill?

Have you been so busy trashing me and my staff that you've missed the many posts about Fussell's serious, serious illness? Unfortunately, this fine young man's football career is over. Happily, he is moving past his illness.

It's a different age. Coaches are forced to offer earlier, and put pressure on the recruits to commit earlier. Recruits commit while still looking at other schools. All a commitment means is that "I want you to hold my place in case a better offer doesn't come along."

A coach can dislike this system and wish it wasn't as it is, but still be forced to do flip players when possible because not doing so may eventually cost you your job.

Have you been so busy trashing me and my staff that you've missed the many posts about Fussell's serious, serious illness? Unfortunately, this fine young man's football career is over. Happily, he is moving past his illness.

I always assumed it was an illness, although noting was ever officially announced. This afternoon however Lou cited an "injury". Whatever. I wish the young man the very best following graduation.

I always assumed it was an illness, although noting was ever officially announced. This afternoon however Lou cited an "injury". Whatever. I wish the young man the very best following graduation.

That's my bad. A non-football related illness is a better way to describe it.

While Bates, Brewer and Peterman came in as QBs, Ebert is the exception. He was recruited as a WR. (By the way, Lee Coleman and Tommy Fuessell were two other QBs recruited as WRs, but neither panned out, as Coleman never cracked the lineup and Fuessell had to retire due to an illness.)

Still this would look like Fitz is starting to change a little in philosophy for this type player to more of the way Walker tried to gain an advantage. Walker always believed that the best athletes on a team were generally the QB and RBs and he was more regular in recruiting these guys for different positions. With recent guys like Fuessel and Lee Fitz seems to be taking more of this approach.

Still this would look like Fitz is starting to change a little in philosophy for this type player to more of the way Walker tried to gain an advantage. Walker always believed that the best athletes on a team were generally the QB and RBs and he was more regular in recruiting these guys for different positions. With recent guys like Fuessel and Lee Fitz seems to be taking more of this approach.

Fitz never really stopped taking this approach.

Fitz never really stopped taking this approach.

Exactly. Fitz has always done that. Guys like Ebert and Davie were high school QBs, while Mabin and Nwabuisi were RBs. That's just off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are more. On this roster alone, VanHoose, Henry, Igwebuike and Vitale were RBs, while Shuler and Buckley were QBs.

Exactly. Fitz has always done that. Guys like Ebert and Davie were high school QBs, while Mabin and Nwabuisi were RBs. That's just off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are more. On this roster alone, VanHoose, Henry, Igwebuike and Vitale were RBs, while Shuler and Buckley were QBs.
Davie? While every coach does it some, Fitz seemed to pretty much abandon the approach for a few years (2009-2012) Most of those guys you listed were recruited for the position that they play at NU. Many guys play two ways in high school (like Cameron Dickerson was listed as a DE in recruiting while here he plays TE.. Henry and Van Hoose were listed as DB recruits and others like Vitale and Buckley were listed as athletes. While Fitz continued the approach with his first class a bit with guys like Ebert, he departed from it for a number of years. He started back with it a little with Fussel and is now continuing the process indicating he may be back in the fold.

Davie? While every coach does it some, Fitz seemed to pretty much abandon the approach for a few years (2009-2012) Most of those guys you listed were recruited for the position that they play at NU. Many guys play two ways in high school (like Cameron Dickerson was listed as a DE in recruiting while here he plays TE.. Henry and Van Hoose were listed as DB recruits and others like Vitale and Buckley were listed as athletes. While Fitz continued the approach with his first class a bit with guys like Ebert, he departed from it for a number of years. He started back with it a little with Fussel and is now continuing the process indicating he may be back in the fold.

Yep, Davie was a QB at Cardinal Ritter and also played defense.

I'm not sure what you're arguing. That Rivals didn't list them as QBs or RBs, so it doesn't count? Guys that are listed as athletes can play a number of different positions in college. It's up to the coaches to figure out where they fit. Ebert was listed as an athlete (not a QB), as was Fuessel, Vitale and Buckley, to name a few.

Besides, you can't really believe that Fitz made a conscious decision to stop recruiting guys like that, do you? They look for players, regardless of where they play in high school.

I would suggest that for the four year period between 2009 and 2012, he pretty much did.

You can keep repeating your point as much as you want, but it isn't going to make it any more accurate.

2009: Tim Riley was an all-state RB that moved to LB
2010: Ibraheim Campbell was an all-state RB that moved to DB
2011: Nick VanHoose was an all-state RB that moved to DB
2012: Stephen Buckley was district MVP as a QB that moved to RB and eventually WR, Traveon Henry was an all-everything RB that moved to DB, Joseph Jones was an all-league RB that moved to LB, Jaylen Prater was a QB/LB that moved to LB full-time, and Dan Vitale was an all-state RB that moved to SB

Sorry.

You can keep repeating your point as much as you want, but it isn't going to make it any more accurate.

2009: Tim Riley was an all-state RB that moved to LB
2010: Ibraheim Campbell was an all-state RB that moved to DB
2011: Nick VanHoose was an all-state RB that moved to DB
2012: Stephen Buckley was district MVP as a QB that moved to RB and eventually WR, Traveon Henry was an all-everything RB that moved to DB, Joseph Jones was an all-league RB that moved to LB, Jaylen Prater was a QB/LB that moved to LB full-time, and Dan Vitale was an all-state RB that moved to SB

Sorry.
Recruiting QBs likely to move and recruiting RBs because they're ass-kickers are very different things.

I would suggest that Yates is a QB possible-to-move. I love having Lees in as a former-QB-playing-elsewhere.

I would love 2-3 QBs in every class. Get 'em in, and figure where they fit.

Besides being the best athletes on their team, QBs are also natural leaders. They up their teammates' effort level and make their teammates better players.

I think NU is consciously trying to get more QBs-to-move.

Recruiting QBs likely to move and recruiting RBs because they're ass-kickers are very different things.

I would suggest that Yates is a QB possible-to-move. I love having Lees in as a former-QB-playing-elsewhere.

I would love 2-3 QBs in every class. Get 'em in, and figure where they fit.

Besides being the best athletes on their team, QBs are also natural leaders. They up their teammates' effort level and make their teammates better players.

I think NU is consciously trying to get more QBs-to-move.

Did you read the original quote I was responding to? The point was that Fitz was no longer recruiting QBs and RBs to move them to other positions, which was common under Walker. My point is that Fitz has continued this practice. For your benefit...

ADVERTISEMENT