ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Edey is a problem

PurpleWhiteBoy

Feb 25, 2021
this video clip shows what our bug guys will face Sunday against "Mr. Elbow."
I'm not a big Kofi Cockburn fan, but this is a ridiculous no-call.

Zach Edey is ridiculously big. He made Jackson-Davis look so small on the court against IN.

I saw two Purdue losses, against Rutgers and IU. And some of the loss against WI and close win against PSU.

Against IU and Rutgers the commonality was they faced seriously aggressive defenses. IU played them incredibly physical and, IMO, got away with a lot in the first half. Ivey was clearly very frustrated.

Rutgers did not double team Edey/Williams. IU double teamed Edey if he received the ball very low, if he was a bit high, they did not. Williams had an horrendous game at IU.

I do not see us standing a chance on this one. We are so outmatched everywhere. Our discipline on defense is just not good enough. Our positioning on the help side fails too much. Our rotation is not nearly fast enough. The trio/on court duo of Edey/Williams/Ivey is so much stronger than our guys. What you have left is like 3 or 4 guys that happen to shoot at 40%+ from 3. Maybe we will get really hot on offense, because defensively I don’t see us being able to keep them under 80.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
Zach Edey is ridiculously big. He made Jackson-Davis look so small on the court against IN.

I saw two Purdue losses, against Rutgers and IU. And some of the loss against WI and close win against PSU.

Against IU and Rutgers the commonality was they faced seriously aggressive defenses. IU played them incredibly physical and, IMO, got away with a lot in the first half. Ivey was clearly very frustrated.

Rutgers did not double team Edey/Williams. IU double teamed Edey if he received the ball very low, if he was a bit high, they did not. Williams had an horrendous game at IU.

I do not see us standing a chance on this one. We are so outmatched everywhere. Our discipline on defense is just not good enough. Our positioning on the help side fails too much. Our rotation is not nearly fast enough. The trio/on court duo of Edey/Williams/Ivey is so much stronger than our guys. What you have left is like 3 or 4 guys that happen to shoot at 40%+ from 3. Maybe we will get really hot on offense, because defensively I don’t see us being able to keep them under 80.
I'm not sure what we can do either.
Collins has several options, none of which seem good.
I suspect we will see Nicholson out there at some point, but the refs tend to let Edey maul bigger guys, so he and Young won't have much of a chance (and will get physically pummeled).
You could put Nance on him and try to deny him the ball, but keeping him off the boards will be practically impossible.

If you go with Williams or Beran, you basically are just trying to draw offensive fouls.

Refs have to call Edey's elbows as flagrants fouls and be willing to eject him. He seems to throw elbows with no concern for his opponents.

Reactions: GatoLouco

Oddly, the best chance for success may be for Nance to play the 5 and front Edey when he is in the game while Audige, Berry, and Roper pressure the ball high to make post entry harder. Not sure I like the matchup with Young and Edey in the game at the same time. With his back-to-the-basket game, it doesn't seem like he punishes Edey on the offensive end the way you would want. Maybe give Edey some different looks with Nicholson, but I'm concerned about Buie's ability to press the ball on defense.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
Is edey good enough to play in the nba or is he just a big time college player?? Maybe european league??
Edey's size will get him into the NBA (I think).
He's only been playing basketball for a handful of years - maybe only 4 years - so he can improve.
He's not fast or quick though, from what I've seen.
But he made Kofi Cockburn look "not massive" and that says a lot.

I'm not sure how Ryan Young can score on him!

I'm not sure what we can do either.
Collins has several options, none of which seem good.
I suspect we will see Nicholson out there at some point, but the refs tend to let Edey maul bigger guys, so he and Young won't have much of a chance (and will get physically pummeled).
You could put Nance on him and try to deny him the ball, but keeping him off the boards will be practically impossible.

If you go with Williams or Beran, you basically are just trying to draw offensive fouls.

Refs have to call Edey's elbows as flagrants fouls and be willing to eject him. He seems to throw elbows with no concern for his opponents.
Yep, Purdue is loaded. Even if we somehow contain Edey, We have to deal with Ivey, I think he is their best player. Also, Williams seems to kill us all the time. Of course, they then unleash a 3 point shooter from Hickory that drains 4 straight. This whole team is a problem.

Rutgers approach would be to accept 35/40 points from Edey/Williams. While attempting to avoid seeing 3’s raining from the 4 players on the rotation that shoot them at over 40%. Edey/Williams scored 34 while Purdue shot 7-26 from 3.

Will we see Nicholson use up his 5 fouls while letting Nance and Young do their work?

Will we see Nicholson use up his 5 fouls while letting Nance and Young do their work?
I suspect Nicholson will get the opportunity to use his 5 fouls. I hope he can give 10 minutes, but that might be a challenge with his current foul/minute rate. Will be interesting to see if he can give a different look in trying to neutralize Edey. Mixing him and Nance to give Purdue different defensive looks to contend with seems interesting. And I could see this game being one where Young leading the second team when Edey is out would be a good plan.

Rutgers approach would be to accept 35/40 points from Edey/Williams. While attempting to avoid seeing 3’s raining from the 4 players on the rotation that shoot them at over 40%. Edey/Williams scored 34 while Purdue shot 7-26 from 3.

This is the way. NU tried to sell out against Providence’s big guy and it completely backfired.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT