ADVERTISEMENT

ZONE is genius!

CatChatAR

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2011
As someone who grew up in Syracuse, and graduated from NU, I can honestly say I have no idea why more teams don't play the 2-3 zone. I think Coach Collins and Coach Boeheim coached together on the Olympics so Chris must have seen a little first hand how it really works.

(((I thought insidenu had a weird analysis of the zone and I thought I would add my own set of positives and negatives to supplement.)))

Positives:
-Makes teams shoot from the outside and challenges all shots in the paint with multiple players.
-Protects the bigs against fouls, and from being dragged away from the basket chasing people around.
-I'm not sure this is completely true because the guards and wing forwards have lots of real estate to cover but I think players exert less energy than they would in a man to man. (if you ever saw the six overtime game with Syracuse and UCONN, you saw one team with a lot more energy than the other)
-Defensive strategy on a game by game basis is easier to learn for players. Find the shooters!
-Defensive strategy is easier to modify in game. (if you watched Louisville/SYR last night ,Harrell was unstoppable in the first half and then non-existent in the second half, it was a clear zone shift)
-In the tournament and non-conference, you face many teams that never play against the zone and have no idea what to do with it. They spend a lot of time passing it around the outside and wind up throwing it away a few times trying to get it into the middle.
-Its obvious where the gaping hole is in the zone (the middle) but its not easy to get the ball in there, and often times when it is easy to pass it in there, it is because the defense has given you that. Smart zone teams let bigs with questionable hands and jump shots catch it there and pivot around until they pass it into the fourth row.

Negatives:
-Sometimes teams get hot from deep three and can make it hard on you. (this is also fixable in game)
-There is a weird stigma that zone defenders don't know how to play man to man, and will not be good in the pros because this is the way they played in college. (This is a rich man's problem --- lets get players who have to stress about draft position and go from there)
-Rebounding can be harder. Finding the players to box out is a little trickier but not terrible.
-It can make the game a little boring to watch, most teams eat the shot clock trying to find a way to break it down.
-After you win a national championship, the court is named after you, and you are inducted into the hall of fame, you still may want to continue coaching and people are going to ask you about retiring constantly. THE WORST.

I haven't figured out why most teams don't play this way. It feels like Boeheim is a precursor to a moneyball style concept for basketball. Dunks are higher percentage than threes...how do you make teams take more threes? (A very simple logical, easy to describe, moneyball concept)

Needless to say --- I'm super excited for the last two wins and hopeful for the future!

"Dunks are higher percentage than threes...how do you make teams take more threes? (A very simple logical, easy to describe, moneyball concept)"

Are those your only choices? Dunks or threes? A team has to shoot 60% from the field from 2-point range to score as much as making the same number of shots at a 40% clip from 3-point range, so it's dangerous to think "Just have them take threes". The key in either a zone or man defense is executing your concepts well. A bad zone gives up easy threes. Bad man-to-man gives up easy twos. Neither one is a good thing, but it's silly to think in terms of how do can have opponents take more threes. The challenge is to get them to take more uncomfortable, contested shots…whether they are twos or threes.

It's already figured out in theory. The difficulty is in executing the strategy to defeat it. I like it as a change of pace and am surprised it has taken this long for Collins to call for it in a game. On wonders how many games would we have won if we had used it earlier? Could we have been on the bubble right now with wins over Maryland, MSU, OSU, and Michigan?

Maybe this is all part of Collins learning process as a head coach.

Originally posted by thewildcat2011:
Except the 1-3-1
Posted from Rivals Mobile
It worked pretty damn well in moments and against certain teams. It stunk when we played it as a base defense for entire games.

The thing that is interesting about Collins is that he has shown that he is willing to change. Last year it was to change the focus from O to D. This year it was going from MTM to going to a zone. Having both things in the arsenal definitely will be a plus as we move on.

Teams that can play the high-low and also have a shooter or two will carve it up. MSU with Draymond Green was always going to beat Syracuse because of that. OTOH, Iowa seemed like an obvious candidate to do well except Woodbury wasn't effective, they didn't give their other 5 enough minutes. and for some reason Iowa wasn't working the middle of the zone at all well. Bad coaching might explain it, or maybe Utoft isn't as good a passer as he is a shooter.

Anyway there isn't a lot of that sort of threat in our remaining schedule as far as I can tell. We should get a few more wins.

"It worked pretty damn well in moments and against certain teams. It stunk when we played it as a base defense for entire games."

Agreed.

As hdhntr noted in another post, it could be very advantagious to have multiple looks going forward. The trick is find the balance (and how to divvy up practice minutes) between being really good at one thing (like Butler's man defense a few year's back) and having options if/when teams find success against it...and of course when to implement a change in game.

This post was edited on 2/20 3:15 PM by ColumbusCatFan1

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT