ADVERTISEMENT

1970 Bears-Eagles video from Dyche Stadium

NU-Dog

Aug 18, 2005

The Bears played a regular season game at NU in September 1970. The clip of that game begins at the 13:15 mark. I particularly like the fact that the temporary NFL goal posts (right on the goal line in those days) can be seen along with the permanent college goal posts at the back of the end zone. Full house at Dyche that day, with temporary seats in front of McGaw.

The Bears played a regular season game at NU in September 1970. The clip of that game begins at the 13:15 mark. I particularly like the fact that the temporary NFL goal posts (right on the goal line in those days) can be seen along with the permanent college goal posts at the back of the end zone. Full house at Dyche that day, with temporary seats in front of McGaw.
Cool. Thanks for sharing. The NF: has really changed. Those players sure looked small.

Good find, Dog! I especially liked the glimpse of the old Dyche scoreboard.

Pat Summerall did not sound drunk. Those were fun times at Dyche back in that day. NU was still pretty good back then. Just a couple of years before the start of the Dark Ages.

That was my senior year at Northwestern. I attended the game but other than the kickoff return at the beginning of the contest details are foggy.

Yes that was a great season for the football Wildcats. They finished 6-1 in the Big Ten. The only loss was against tOSU in Columbus and the Cats actually led that game at halftime. No bowl game because in that era only the Big Ten champ went bowling (Rose Bowl). Alex Agase won national coach of the year from Football Writers Association of America that season. My favorite memory was beating the Illini 48-0 at Dyche Stadium (as it was known then) for the conference opener.

That was my senior year at Northwestern. I attended the game but other than the kickoff return at the beginning of the contest details are foggy.

Yes that was a great season for the football Wildcats. They finished 6-1 in the Big Ten. The only loss was against tOSU in Columbus and the Cats actually led that game at halftime. No bowl game because in that era only the Big Ten champ went bowling (Rose Bowl). Alex Agase won national coach of the year from Football Writers Association of America that season. My favorite memory was beating the Illini 48-0 at Dyche Stadium (as it was known then) for the conference opener.

Thanks for sharing the memories. I was a junior that year (after having returned from two years in Japan) and recall attending a Northwestern game where the whole student section broke out chanting "Rose Bowl, Rose Bowl." We came so close.

I also remember the "Rose Bowl Rose Bowl" chant

For the youngsters on this board, 1970 was prior to the cable TV era. The NU-tOSU game was shown on closed-circuit TV at McGaw Hall(predecessor to Welsh-Ryan Arena .I was there and if I recall correctly the place was packed with NU fans.

Was that a young Harry Kalas on the metaphoric laced narration? Classic! Gotta love the Mod Squad style soundtrack they used to play for NFL highlight films; so much better than the triumphant techno they put on now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT