ADVERTISEMENT

2015 Freshman All-B1G - WILDCAT CANDIDATES

Cat In The Cradle

May 29, 2014
NU has had an excellent record developing new talent. At least one Wildcat found himself listed on the ESPN All Freshman B1G on both sides of the ball since 2011, excepting 2013:

2014 Justin Jackson (true), Anthony Walker (RS), and Godwin Igwebuike (RS)
2013 Matt Harris (true)
2012 Dan Vitale (true), Nick Van Hoose (RS), Dean Lowry (true)
2011 Brandon Vitabile (RS), Ibraheim Campbell (RS)

My best guesses for 2015:

QB Thorson
WR Perry

DT Thompson (assuming healthy)
CB Westphal (assuming healthy)

KR Roberts

Other highly touted freshmen, such as RBs Moten and Anderson, those on the defensive line, etc. will be competing with one another and all ready proven upper classmen, but I predict one or two will exceed expectations a la DE Washington and garner meaningful playing time and become recognized. My guess is Westphal will be the third CB All B1G at Cornerback U.

Added to this list is the disclaimer of my having no knowledge about the freshman prospects from other B1G teams.

As an aside, NU's All B1G track record is impressive. I hope it's being promoted to prospective recruits who have the motivation to showcase themselves on the field out of the gates. It's interesting to note that Northwestern together with Penn State, Michigan State, and Ohio State accounted for all but two of the 22 slots for 2014 position players; that's 4 teams in a conference of 14 teams. And Penn State is an outlier here, given that the top heavy scholarships compelled that program to play mostly younger talent after years of sanctions. And keep in mind: NU's recruiting classes are generally 25 percent less than the attrition-schemed programs listed above.

This post was edited on 1/13 11:48 AM by Cat In The Cradle

Cat,
How do you see Westphal fitting into the lineup with Harris and Van Hoose?
Moving someone around?

While I remain disappointed in that we can't develop players in 5 years insomuch as not getting First team all BIG honors, it is nice that we consistently get first team all freshman players.

I generally agree with you other than a few points.

I assume Westphal is the real deal, however, McShephard played phenomenal on special teams AND when he was in the lineup. Assuming Van Hoose and Harris stay healthy, the best Westphal can do is learn and help fill out a 2 deep, or be a part in a 5 DB setup. I don't think he is big enough to play safety.

If Thompson makes the all freshmen team then a few of our regulars got injured. And if Perry makes it, we had a great year.

OTOH, if Thorson doesn't make it, we may only be mediocre at best. We should have a good defense but our wr/ol are highly suspect, and will remain so if Thorson is not developed. I loved Thorson's confidence coming in, and then watching him in practice....he would have played last year, a lot, if Fitz didn't wisely keep his shirt. He is the real deal.

Perry - Reasonable candidate to play given reports about his technical polish. If he does, I sure hope it's as a Wildcat.

Thompson - really impressive tape, but might be undersized for DT as a true frosh. However, many of us probably felt X Wash would not play as a frosh, too.

Goens - he appeared more explosive on his senior tape. I had him pegged for DT, but it's possible he could crack the rotation at end despite its apparent depth.

Moten - I could see him in the return game.

Roberts - ditto

Moten in the return game . . . intriguing but upon reflection a review of his speed and power suggests this is a strong possibility a la Vault. He'll have to beat out Roberts who is equally as fast and tough to find.

A all B1G freshman brother - still, we're rather deep there barring injury. Of course, Walker got a look due to this reason, so hopefully not a repeat.

See Turk's comments above. With that caveat, I think Westphal plays meaningful snaps on obvious running downs - he's a bigger body than either of those two - safety may be his best position - and will make a name for himself in that capacity.

The RS freshmen are the likely contributors to step up big next year. I'll go with Thorson, Austin Anderson, and Blake Hance. The only true freshman I could see playing meaningful enough minutes to warrant that type of consideration is Fox, and that is partly due to our questionable depth at that position. I could see him playing MLB and moving walker to outside LB.

Although the position is deep, Prather could see playing time at DE. He was in a tight battle w/ Washington in fall camp last year.

Originally posted by Turk:
While I remain disappointed in that we can't develop players in 5 years insomuch as not getting First team all BIG honors, it is nice that we consistently get first team all freshman players.

I generally agree with you other than a few points.

I assume Westphal is the real deal, however, McShephard played phenomenal on special teams AND when he was in the lineup. Assuming Van Hoose and Harris stay healthy, the best Westphal can do is learn and help fill out a 2 deep, or be a part in a 5 DB setup. I don't think he is big enough to play safety. While McShepard did indeed play admirably, I actually think Watkins was playing better before he got hurt. He's a better natural athlete and has a higher ceiling as a CB in my opinion. There's a lot of competition coming back at corner, but Westphal could make a lot of sense as a nickel given his size and experience playing as a safety in high school.

If Thompson makes the all freshmen team then a few of our regulars got injured. And if Perry makes it, we had a great year. Don't assume that Perry would walk in and start at slot WR. Guys like CJones, Vault, and others could very well claim that position in the spring.

OTOH, if Thorson doesn't make it, we may only be mediocre at best. We should have a good defense but our wr/ol are highly suspect, and will remain so if Thorson is not developed. I loved Thorson's confidence coming in, and then watching him in practice....he would have played last year, a lot, if Fitz didn't wisely keep his shirt. He is the real deal. QB development has very little to do with WR and OL development.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT