ADVERTISEMENT

2018 QB Re-Al Mitchell talks about Northwestern offer

He said he is contemplating an unofficial in February. My guess is he commits shortly thereafter. The kid is a perfect fit for our offense and our depth chart sets up nicely for a chance to start early in his career, something he said is important to him. His relationship with the coaching staff is very important to him and we all know how good of an impression our staff makes on student/athletes and parents when they get a chance to meet them in person. The kid is a very good student who has described NU as the Stanford of the East and he is very close to his current teammate and 2017 NU WR commit, Berkeley Holman. Lastly, we are by far his best option because top programs are hesitant to offer due to his height. Arizona has offered but already has a 4 star QB commit for the class of 2018 which leaves Utah as our main competition. I like our chances.

Reactions: NUCat320
He said he is contemplating an unofficial in February. My guess is he commits shortly thereafter. The kid is a perfect fit for our offense and our depth chart sets up nicely for a chance to start early in his career, something he said is important to him. His relationship with the coaching staff is very important to him and we all know how good of an impression our staff makes on student/athletes and parents when they get a chance to meet them in person. The kid is a very good student who has described NU as the Stanford of the East and he is very close to his current teammate and 2017 NU WR commit, Berkeley Holman. Lastly, we are by far his best option because top programs are hesitant to offer due to his height. Arizona has offered but already has a 4 star QB commit for the class of 2018 which leaves Utah as our main competition. I like our chances.

If he was serious about PSU distance isn't an issue. It has got to be easier to get back and forth from Evanston than College station.

I wonder if NU's own American Gladiator has been in touch with Blaze?

81030-86Fr.jpg

Reactions: NUCat320
PSU has a 2018 QB commit already.

Yes but they were recruiting Mitchell pretty hard before Fields committed. He was probably the next QB on their list. Re Al visited PSU prior to Fields' commitment and seemed very interested which indicates distance from home should not be an impediment for NU's recruitment.

Wow... missed that. Great time for a SoCal kid to be on campus, eh?

Glad to see us going after a dual-threat guy. With quicker, more mobile defensive players these days, it's a bonus if your QB is a true running threat and is able to prolong passing plays when the protection breaks down. Penn State's McSorley has been a great example this year.

For the 2018 season, when Mitchell is a true freshman, the scholarship QB situation looks like this from what I can gather:

Thorson - RS Sr
Yates - RS Jr
Smith - RS So
Marty - RS Fr

So if Mitchell redshirts, he will likely compete in 2019 with Yates, Smith, and Marty. By that time, who knows Yates may have switched positions. So the opportunity for Mitchell would be about as good as one could hope for on a P5 team.

For the 2018 season, when Mitchell is a true freshman, the scholarship QB situation looks like this from what I can gather:

Thorson - RS Sr
Yates - RS Jr
Smith - RS So
Marty - RS Fr

So if Mitchell redshirts, he will likely compete in 2019 with Yates, Smith, and Marty. By that time, who knows Yates may have switched positions. So the opportunity for Mitchell would be about as good as one could hope for on a P5 team.
TJ Green will also be a RS junior and may be in the mix.

Yes but they were recruiting Mitchell pretty hard before Fields committed. He was probably the next QB on their list. Re Al visited PSU prior to Fields' commitment and seemed very interested which indicates distance from home should not be an impediment for NU's recruitment.

Thank you.

Thorson - RS Sr
Yates - RS Jr
Smith - RS So
Marty - RS Fr

I think that people may underestimate both Smith and Marty. I liked what I saw of both on film and Marty is apparently fully recovered from his injuries and had a great senior year. Mick is also darn good at developing young QB talent and teaching our system. I am not saying that a guy like Mitchell could not win the job as a RS frosh, but only that the cupboard is not likely to be bare.

Deering: How far north? I grew up near Addison and California close to Lane Tech.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT