ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Offensive Depth Chart

NU Line

Dec 20, 2018
QB: Hunter Johnson; Trent Green OR Andrew Marty
RB: Isaiah Bowser, John Moten, Drake Anderson
WR: Ben Skowronek, Ramaud Chiaokhiao-Bowman, Gensen Hooper Price (4 games)
WR: Riley Lees, JJ Jefferson, Jalen Brown
WR: Bryce Kirtz, Kyric McGowan, Jace James
SB: Cam Green, Trey Pugh, Brian Kaiser
LT: Rashawn Slater, Gunner Vogel
LG: Sam Gerak, Cam Kolwich
C: Jared Thomas, Nik Urban
RG: Sam Stovall, Jesse Meyler
RT: Ethan Wiederkehr, Payne HeBert

Analysis:
Looking at our depth chart, a few things stand out to me. We are very deep at WR and Superbacks. Assuming Jalen Brown and Jace James both come back healthy, we have at least 10 solid WRs: Skowronek, Lees, Kirtz, RCB, JJ, McGowan, Brown, James, Holman, and GHB. I would like to see us redshirt GHB and have him play in 4 games as I think he will have a chance to be something great in a few years but needs some time to develop.

Additionally, we are absolutely loaded at superback. Cam Green is back as it Trey Pugh. In addition, we have Brian Kaiser, Charlie Mangieri, Eric Eshoo, and I really like incoming freshman, Thomas Gordon. Seems like a lot of players at one position (6 superbacks)

Offensive Line is much harder for me to predict, especially with a new OL coach. I am concerned with the depth at OL and we will need a lot of young guys to step up.

RB: I would like to see someone who can emerge and spell Bowser so he doesn't carry the ball 300 times this season. Hopefully Drake Anderson is that guy. Perhaps his backup isn't even on the roster yet. Justin Jackson was amazingly durable for us, but as we saw this year with Larkin retiring and Moten getting banged up it's important to have a few good running backs.

QB: I believe this team goes as far as Hunter takes them. There is significant drop off between Hunter and the backups Green or Marty or Smith. I think Jason Whittaker is behind those others after watching senior tape. Hopefully the OL can keep Hunter upright and healthy.

Overall: if Hunter can fill Clayton's large shoes and give us a little more consistency at the QB position and the OL improves, I don't see why we can't win the big ten this year.

Gosh, I sure hope one of the back up qbs will overtake tjgreen on the depth charts. I'd be uncomfortable thinking that if something happens to our 5-star diamond/HJ, all we would have as his backup would be tj. No offense to tj, but I heard and saw some really good tape about Marty and the other qbs available. I hope the only reason none of them played in the Fall of 18' was because of them getting redshirted?? I mean how will we have a chance against murderers row like vs Stanford/osu and all the great and improved BIG teams like Neb and Minn etc??

Analysis:
Looking at our depth chart, a few things stand out to me. We are very deep at WR and Superbacks. Assuming Jalen Brown and Jace James both come back healthy, we have at least 10 solid WRs: Skowronek, Lees, Kirtz, RCB, JJ, McGowan, Brown, James, Holman, and GHB. I would like to see us redshirt GHB and have him play in 4 games as I think he will have a chance to be something great in a few years but needs some time to develop.

Additionally, we are absolutely loaded at superback. Cam Green is back as it Trey Pugh. In addition, we have Brian Kaiser, Charlie Mangieri, Eric Eshoo, and I really like incoming freshman, Thomas Gordon. Seems like a lot of players at one position (6 superbacks)

Offensive Line is much harder for me to predict, especially with a new OL coach. I am concerned with the depth at OL and we will need a lot of young guys to step up.

RB: I would like to see someone who can emerge and spell Bowser so he doesn't carry the ball 300 times this season. Hopefully Drake Anderson is that guy. Perhaps his backup isn't even on the roster yet. Justin Jackson was amazingly durable for us, but as we saw this year with Larkin retiring and Moten getting banged up it's important to have a few good running backs.

QB: I believe this team goes as far as Hunter takes them. There is significant drop off between Hunter and the backups Green or Marty or Smith. I think Jason Whittaker is behind those others after watching senior tape. Hopefully the OL can keep Hunter upright and healthy.

Overall: if Hunter can fill Clayton's large shoes and give us a little more consistency at the QB position and the OL improves, I don't see why we can't win the big ten this year.

Is Stovall really the assumed second starting guard, with Gerak?

My takeaway is it will again come down to the offensive line. If they can step up and be at least an average Big Ten line from Game 1, that will keep Hunter upright and let him get the ball to the playmakers at WR and SB, which as you point out is the deepest group in years (though not sure Brown is coming back?)

I have mixed feelings about moving Slater to the left side. He is exceptional on the right side and sometimes those types of moves can actually just create more holes in the offensive lines. It is difficult to move to the other side. If we have some guys that can compete on the left side and pass block...I would rather leave the two guys we know are good(Slater, Thomas) exactly where they are. I expect more from our left tackles as they were a train wreck on pass protection this season. The Michigan game said it all...with a chance to throw a Hail Mary and Michigan only rushing 3 and NU keeping a back into block...still gave up a very quick sack with an untouched lineman coming in from the blindside.

Reactions: Cat In The Cradle

Analysis:

Good call on Stovall. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him starting. I’d have Urban trade spots with Gerak and I’d pencil Vogel in at the other OT spot with EW as the primary backup. All pure speculation on my part.

Slater
Stovall
Thomas
Urban
Vogel

Reactions: DkeCat
Is Stovall really the assumed second starting guard, with Gerak?

My takeaway is it will again come down to the offensive line. If they can step up and be at least an average Big Ten line from Game 1, that will keep Hunter upright and let him get the ball to the playmakers at WR and SB, which as you point out is the deepest group in years (though not sure Brown is coming back?)

Not at all on Stovall. The fact that we was listed as second string all year really means nothing. The starting guard spots will be an open competition next year and it’s really anybody’s guess who ends up with the jobs. I wouldn’t rule out a grad transfer coming in to compete.

Analysis:

If Kirtz is good enough to beat out McGowan as a true freshman then we really have something special on our hands. I think McGowan is a really good player so I doubt this happens.

Not at all on Stovall. The fact that we was listed as second string all year really means nothing. The starting guard spots will be an open competition next year and it’s really anybody’s guess who ends up with the jobs. I wouldn’t rule out a grad transfer coming in to compete.
I can only see bringing in one grad transfer-----will it be a RB, DL, or OL? My priority would be DL, RB, and OL. But would probably be "best available". Could bring in 2, but I would be surprised.

I can only see bringing in one grad transfer-----will it be a RB, DL, or OL? My priority would be DL, RB, and OL. But would probably be "best available". Could bring in 2, but I would be surprised.

Why? We have 4 scholarships left to give this year and a small graduating class next year. Multiple grad transfers would have an immediate impact on the field next year and also give us a few more scholarships to give for the class of 2020 in what is shaping up to be a banner recruiting class for NU. It makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:
Why? We have 4 scholarships left to give this year and a small graduating class next year. Multiple grad transfers would have an immediate impact on the field next year also and give us a few more scholarships to give for the class of 2020 in what is shaping up to be a banner recruiting class for NU. It makes a lot of sense.
Hope that I am wrong and we bring in some "studs".

I have mixed feelings about moving Slater to the left side. He is exceptional on the right side and sometimes those types of moves can actually just create more holes in the offensive lines. It is difficult to move to the other side. If we have some guys that can compete on the left side and pass block...I would rather leave the two guys we know are good(Slater, Thomas) exactly where they are. I expect more from our left tackles as they were a train wreck on pass protection this season. The Michigan game said it all...with a chance to throw a Hail Mary and Michigan only rushing 3 and NU keeping a back into block...still gave up a very quick sack with an untouched lineman coming in from the blindside.
Admittedly, a bit scary. We moved Ryan Keenan from him being a stud at guard, to right tackle and with mixed returns.

Good call on Stovall. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him starting. I’d have Urban trade spots with Gerak and I’d pencil Vogel in at the other OT spot with EW as the primary backup. All pure speculation on my part.

Slater
Stovall
Thomas
Urban
Vogel

I will be very surprised if Vogel starts. He will have to improve mightily IMO. ( Also, would love to see Jalen Brown crack the line up, but somehow don’t have a good feeling on that. What happened to
Jesse Brown? Did I miss the memo ? )

I will be very surprised if Vogel starts. He will have to improve mightily IMO. ( Also, would love to see Jalen Brown crack the line up, but somehow don’t have a good feeling on that. What happened to
Jesse Brown? Did I miss the memo ? )

Vogel has the makings of a good tackle. You’d be surprised how much improvement a player can make over a full offseason, particularly when getting a first teamers reps.

Reactions: DkeCat
Why? We have 4 scholarships left to give this year and a small graduating class next year. Multiple grad transfers would have an immediate impact on the field next year and also give us a few more scholarships to give for the class of 2020 in what is shaping up to be a banner recruiting class for NU. It makes a lot of sense.
It's good that that we've replaced the idea of JUCO's with Grad
transfers. Where did they come from all of a sudden?

Gosh, I sure hope one of the back up qbs will overtake tjgreen on the depth charts. I'd be uncomfortable thinking that if something happens to our 5-star diamond/HJ, all we would have as his backup would be tj. No offense to tj, but I heard and saw some really good tape about Marty and the other qbs available. I hope the only reason none of them played in the Fall of 18' was because of them getting redshirted?? I mean how will we have a chance against murderers row like vs Stanford/osu and all the great and improved BIG teams like Neb and Minn etc??
We can only assume Green beat them out. Only one redshirted last year. And if he were better than Green, he would have played, with Johnson taking over next year.

It's good that that we've replaced the idea of JUCO's with Grad
transfers. Where did they come from all of a sudden?

I think it's good for the players, the fans and the game. More options for the players and another way to promote greater parity. I think you'll see more grad transfers going forward given the new RS rules. With the ability to play four games and still RS, there will be more players out there who have a 5th year of eligibility and are able to consider a grad transfer.

I like Green and Moten.

Slater
Stovall
Thomas
Urban
Vogel

Think this is closest, with Gerak fighting for a spot. Tough to comment on Stovall based on practice reports and a 2-deep, with no in game experience

If Kirtz is good enough to beat out McGowan as a true freshman then we really have something special on our hands. I think McGowan is a really good player so I doubt this happens.

While I agree, remember Johnson and Kirtz go pretty far back and know each other well.

While I agree, remember Johnson and Kirtz go pretty far back and know each other well.

I am pretty sure they played one season together in HS. He has as much chemistry on the field with Hunter that our Scout team WRs now have with Hunter after practicing together for this past season. The Kirtz/Johnson connection is a nice to have but I doubt it will be a major factor in Kirtz overtaking an experienced and accomplished player like McGowan for a starting role. Kirtz would have to be pretty damn special for that to happen. Let’s hope.

I am pretty sure they played one season together in HS. He has as much chemistry on the field with Hunter that our Scout team WRs now have with Hunter after practicing together for this past season. The Kirtz/Johnson connection is a nice to have but I doubt it will be a major factor in Kirtz overtaking an experienced and accomplished player like McGowan for a starting role. Kirtz would have to be pretty damn special for that to happen. Let’s hope.

While one varsity season, they've known each other a very long time (including the brother connection with Bryce's brother Tyler). If it was anything like my growing up, a lot of the connection was learned in backyards. Let's see what happens.

I think Bryce Kirtz is the real deal and expect him to finish amongst the top 5 WRs in catches this season. Even if he didn't already have good camaraderie with HJ, I still would have him getting significant PT this season. WR is a position where young players can contribute early and, based on his film, BK is a stud. NU loves the short crossing route and Kirtz has good speed, hands, and instincts to excel at those. (Though hopefully we will take more shots downfield with Hunter this year)

I also expect to see Malik Washington contribute this season and will be a good player for us but I don't think he is a significant upgrade over our current starters to warrant burning his redshirt past the 4 games.

I like Green and Moten.

I like the Tin Man.

4dTZUVs.gif

I think Bryce Kirtz is the real deal and expect him to finish amongst the top 5 WRs in catches this season. Even if he didn't already have good camaraderie with HJ, I still would have him getting significant PT this season. WR is a position where young players can contribute early and, based on his film, BK is a stud. NU loves the short crossing route and Kirtz has good speed, hands, and instincts to excel at those. (Though hopefully we will take more shots downfield with Hunter this year)

I also expect to see Malik Washington contribute this season and will be a good player for us but I don't think he is a significant upgrade over our current starters to warrant burning his redshirt past the 4 games.

I absolutely see Kirtz as a contributor next year, particularly with the recent news that Jalen Brown is not coming back. I could also see him being in the top 5 in catches next year but all of that is different than saying that he is going to beat out very solid returning players like McGowan and JJ to line up as one of our starters next August when we face Stanford.

Last edited:
I absolutely see Wirtz as a contributor next year, particularly with the recent news that Jalen Brown is not coming back. I could also see him being in the top 5 in catches next year but all of that is different than saying that he is going to beat out very solid returning players like McGowan and JJ to line up as one of our starters next August when we face Stanford.

Wirtz? Arthur, Dollar Bill, or Rocky?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT