ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Class: Not even offering a Big?

freewillie07

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2017
Really solid start to the 2021 class from CCC, especially after the recent struggles. Brooks Barnhizer gets a year to learn from Miller Kopp before filling his role. Julian Roper is the type of guard NU has been sorely lacking and is actively trying to win over PBJ. Love to see it.

Looking ahead, what I find somewhat interesting it is doesn't seem like NU is even trying to recruit a Big in this class. Obligatory offers to Caleb Furst and Bryce Hopkins aside, it looks like CCC and the staff are satisfied rolling with Ryan Young, Matthew Nicholson, and, to some extent, Pete Nance, as their guys going forward. No additional offers out with Jared Jones entering the transfer portal, either.

I don't mind the strategy -- NU needs dynamic and consistent guard play more than anything else, IMO -- but it's still a notable departure from previous classes.

You make a good point, however, I assume a big man was low on the list until Jones left. Now they may need to play catch up (transfer?).

They have one more schollie available for the class entering in 2021. It seems Collins is usually content with 12 scholarships, so I assume the 13th will only go to an extraordinary recruit (Baldwin or Christie) or a transfer to fill a gap.

I wonder if this means they are done with Bates also?

Really solid start to the 2021 class from CCC, especially after the recent struggles. Brooks Barnhizer gets a year to learn from Miller Kopp before filling his role. Julian Roper is the type of guard NU has been sorely lacking and is actively trying to win over PBJ. Love to see it.

Looking ahead, what I find somewhat interesting it is doesn't seem like NU is even trying to recruit a Big in this class. Obligatory offers to Caleb Furst and Bryce Hopkins aside, it looks like CCC and the staff are satisfied rolling with Ryan Young, Matthew Nicholson, and, to some extent, Pete Nance, as their guys going forward. No additional offers out with Jared Jones entering the transfer portal, either.

I don't mind the strategy -- NU needs dynamic and consistent guard play more than anything else, IMO -- but it's still a notable departure from previous classes.
Barrhizer is a much different type of player than Miller and won't be filling his role. He's a guard who happens to be an excellent shooter and ball handler.

Reactions: Inovacat
I am not worried about getting a big in this class. This group of recruits might constitute the best class in the history of NU basketball once all is said and done! Let's just reel them in and enjoy the bounty. We'll figure out positions and starters later.... And by the way, remember when we had Carmody as coach? We had a 6'7" center starting for us while Vedran was injured. And VV was more of a shooting guard or small forward! BC had at times only 6 scholarship players on his roster- and only 2 were of BIG starter quality! Let's add more and more talent- everything will work out

I am not worried about getting a big in this class. This group of recruits might constitute the best class in the history of NU basketball once all is said and done! Let's just reel them in and enjoy the bounty. We'll figure out positions and starters later.... And by the way, remember when we had Carmody as coach? We had a 6'7" center starting for us while Vedran was injured. And VV was more of a shooting guard or small forward! BC had at times only 6 scholarship players on his roster- and only 2 were of BIG starter quality! Let's add more and more talent- everything will work out

I agree -- like I said in my initial post, I don't mind the strategy. I just find it odd, given that there have been at least a handful of offers to Bigs in each class in the past.

Re: Sec.112's question, I certainly hope it doesn't mean they're done with recruiting Bates. A Roper, Bates, Barnhizer class would have to go down as one of NU's all-time best, on its own.

As I said in another thread, there also seems to be value in recruiting Bates that goes his skill and what kind of person he is.

As I said in another thread, there also seems to be value in recruiting Bates that goes his skill and what kind of person he is.
Agreed, and it also keeps us at Sunrise and on the radar of Gradey Dick.

A Roper, Bates, Barnhizer class would have to go down as one of NU's all-time best, on its own.

I'm still not giving up on a Baldwin, Roper, Barnhizer class. Not holding my breath for Christie, unfortunately.

You make a good point, however, I assume a big man was low on the list until Jones left. Now they may need to play catch up (transfer?).

They have one more schollie available for the class entering in 2021. It seems Collins is usually content with 12 scholarships, so I assume the 13th will only go to an extraordinary recruit (Baldwin or Christie) or a transfer to fill a gap.

I wonder if this means they are done with Bates also?
Transfer for sure

Given we have two young bigs and one who seems to have the starting job locked up for a little I don’t think this class needs a big. With these 2 guards we are now in a best available position which is a great one to be in.

Class breakdown:

Senior / RS Jr.: Gaines
Jr.: Nance, Kopp, Greer
Soph: Audige, Buie, Young, Beran
Fr.: Berry, Nicholson

Commits: Roper, Barnhizer

Currently ten players on scholarship. Nine for certain have two years of eligibility and likely all ten. The centers have 3 and 4 years left.

The reason for hope for this year is that the Cats really struggled at guard with Gaines hurt. Now they could come back a 5 deep guard rotation where they struggled last year to get two guys on the floor at once who could match up against other teams. My favorite potential fun lineup is Nance, Kopp, Audige, Gaines and Buie.

Last edited:
Reactions: Medill90
I'd like to see Nance, Beran, Audige, Gaines and Ty.

Of course, this projects massive amounts of what I want to believe about Audige and Berry, with scant proof at this point.

Class breakdown:

Senior / RS Jr.: Gaines
Jr.: Nance, Kopp, Greer
Soph: Audige, Buie, Young, Beran
Fr.: Berry, Nicholson

Commits: Roper, Barnhizer

Currently ten players on scholarship. Nine for certain have two years of eligibility and likely all ten. The centers have 3 and 4 years left.

The reason for hope for this year is that the Cats really struggled at guard with Gaines hurt. Now they could come back a 5 deep guard rotation where they struggled last year to get two guys on the floor at once who could match up against other teams. My favorite potential fun lineup is Nance, Kopp, Audige, Gaines and Buie.

Yeah, again I don't think it's necessarily bad that there won't be a Big in the class, just a bit surprised at the lack of offers. Maybe there weren't many top guys that had the academic chops.

By the time the 2021 season rolls around, Ryan Young will have 2 years max, potentially just 1 year since he redshirted. I am as high on Nicholson as anyone but admittedly he has not played a minute of college basketball.

Obviously you don't need a Big in every class but it does raise the stakes for the 2022 class.

My favorite potential fun lineup is Nance, Kopp, Audige, Gaines and Buie.

I don't want Audige and Gaines on the floor at the same time for too long, they seem like similar players with somewhat limited offense.

My fun lineup is Nance, Beran, Kopp, Gaines, Buie.

Reactions: willycat
I don't want Audige and Gaines on the floor at the same time for too long, they seem like similar players with somewhat limited offense.

That would be fun to watch ... at least on one end of the floor. We'd probably have to roll out a zone on the other.

I'm going Nance, Kopp, Audige, Berry, Buie.

Our top performers probably won't be who anyone (including myself) would expect. Who would have guessed that Pat Spencer and Ryan Young would be our 2nd and 3rd leading scorers last season?!

I'm reasonably excited about the competitive depth. For the record, as of June 2020, here is my best guess at a pecking order at each major position:

Guard: Buie, Gaines, Audige, Berry, Greer
Forward: Kopp, Nance, Beran
Center: Young, Nicholson, (Nance)

Reactions: cwcorgi-ks
I'm going Nance, Kopp, Audige, Berry, Buie.

this is intriguing

if Audige is a solid defensive player his ability to create and drive puts him on the floor. Same with Ty if he checks the D box and his shot translates to college ball

but I think Beran takes a step up this year and his length has him on the court a ton

Reactions: cwcorgi-ks
I think Beran has the chance to be Shurnaesque in terms of his impact. He is a better athlete than Shurna.

Reactions: DaCat
I think Beran has the chance to be Shurnaesque in terms of his impact. He is a better athlete than Shurna.

I had the same thoughts, although people tend to underestimate Shurna's athleticism. He won slam dunk contests AND three-point contests, and had to play out of position as a power forward many times because we lacked one. Beran has the potential to be very productive for the Cats the next three years, please stay injury-free!

Reactions: Katatonic
I had the same thoughts, although people tend to underestimate Shurna's athleticism. He won slam dunk contests AND three-point contests, and had to play out of position as a power forward many times because we lacked one. Beran has the potential to be very productive for the Cats the next three years, please stay injury-free!

People also forget that Shurna is NU's all-time leading shot blocker...or did Pardon pass him? In any case, Shurna at least broke and held that record for a while--and shot blocking is not what you think of when you think of John Shurna.

People also forget that Shurna is NU's all-time leading shot blocker...or did Pardon pass him? In any case, Shurna at least broke and held that record for a while--and shot blocking is not what you think of when you think of John Shurna.

he was great at his position, but not NU's leader for blocked shots

he was great at his position, but not NU's leader for blocked shots
People forget Alex ("I'm a beast") Olah.....

1. Alex Olah, 2013-16 ..................................181
2. Dererk Pardon, 2016-19.........................148
3. John Shurna, 2009-12 ............................136

Reactions: go cats go
People forget Alex ("I'm a beast") Olah.....

1. Alex Olah, 2013-16 ..................................181
2. Dererk Pardon, 2016-19.........................148
3. John Shurna, 2009-12 ............................136

Great callback. Wouldn't be the worst thing for the big guys currently on our team to emulate.

ADVERTISEMENT