ADVERTISEMENT

2022-23 NET ratings updates

Styre

Oct 14, 2004
The NET ratings, the official ranking system the selection committee uses to determine NCAA/NIT participants, dropped today. I'll try to post a weekly update about where NU stands. Quad 1 wins are the most important for building a resume; Quad 3 and Quad 4 losses are the most damaging. What jumps out at me right away is that the system does not like Michigan State, so that's only a Quad 2 win, and Georgetown is horrendous.

NU is currently rated #76, which is NIT bubble-ish. Coming up this week is a Quad 4 game against Prairie View.

QUAD 1 (0-1)
N #21 Auburn - L

QUAD 2 (1-0)
A #92 Michigan State - W

QUAD 3 (1-1)
H #80 Pittsburgh - L
N #127 Liberty - W

QUAD 4 (4-0)
H #246 Chicago State - W
H #247 Purdue Fort Wayne - W
A #250 Georgetown - W
H #287 Northern Illinois - W

This is the breakdown:

Quad 1: Home 1-30, Neutral 1-50, Away 1-75
Quad 2: Home 31-75, Neutral 51-100, Away 76-135
Quad 3: Home 76-160, Neutral 101-200, Away 135-240
Quad 4: Home 161-363, Neutral 201-363, Away 241-363

Reactions: drewjin
Michigan State took a big leap up the rankings, so NU now has a Quad 1 win. Pitt and Liberty aren't too far from improving into Quad 2, so hopefully they will continue to do better. NU itself is basically holding steady, currently at #73. This week features a Quad 3 home opponent in DePaul.

QUAD 1 (1-1)
N #43 Auburn - L
A #60 Michigan State - W

QUAD 2 (0-0)

QUAD 3 (2-1)
H #83 Pittsburgh - L
N #102 Liberty - W
A #240 Georgetown - W

QUAD 4 (4-0)
H #162 Purdue Fort Wayne - W
H #221 Prairie View A&M - W
H #264 Chicago State - W
H #307 Northern Illinois - W

NU has jumped up to #62, which is NIT range. Pitt and Liberty have both climbed into Quad 2, so we no longer have any bad losses, but Auburn is in free fall. Beating DePaul so badly knocked them all the way down into Quad 4. Another Quad 4 game awaits this week with UIC coming to town.

We'll see how it looks at the end of the year, but right now our non-con schedule looks stronger than usual.

QUAD 1 (1-0)
A #61 Michigan State - W

QUAD 2 (1-2)
N #57 Auburn - L
H #75 Pittsburgh - L
N #90 Liberty - W

QUAD 3 (1-0)
H #158 Purdue Fort Wayne - W

QUAD 4 (5-0)
H #178 DePaul - W
H #228 Prairie View A&M - W
A #244 Georgetown - W
H #262 Chicago State - W
H #306 Northern Illinois - W

Can I just say that if 40 years ago I stepped into a time machine and landed here today, I would be as incredulous of DePaul and Georgetown being Quad 4 teams as I would have been upon learning that Ronald Reagan was president had I just arrived in 1982 from 40 years before.

Can I just say that if 40 years ago I stepped into a time machine and landed here today, I would be as incredulous of DePaul and Georgetown being Quad 4 teams as I would have been upon learning that Ronald Reagan was president had I just arrived in 1982 from 40 years before.
Stranger things have happened if you had arrived here from 40 years ago in a time machine, probably none other than the saga of the election / double impeachment/ failed insurrection of a certain con man masquerading as the president of the US. Then turning to the sports page, the familiarity of seeing Wildcat football mired in a 3-9 and 1-11 seasons. Or that NU hoops actually made the NCAA tournament.

Reactions: julescat
Stranger things have happened if you had arrived here from 40 years ago in a time machine, probably none other than the saga of the election / double impeachment/ failed insurrection of a certain con man masquerading as the president of the US. Then turning to the sports page, the familiarity of seeing Wildcat football mired in a 3-9 and 1-11 seasons. Or that NU hoops actually made the NCAA tournament.
If you had departed in 1990 and returned in 2020, the Wildcats trip to the tourney would have seen far less likely than President Real Estate Magnate.

Also there is no more "turning to the sports page"

Reactions: drewjin and TheC
Also there is no more "turning to the sports page"
Good point, phatty my boy, it's just part of the vocabulary of old farts like you and me, but so are other words and expressions that still linger... like when coaches say "gotta review the tape" -- what tape? Are they going to fire up the old VCR?

Good point, phatty my boy, it's just part of the vocabulary of old farts like you and me, but so are other words and expressions that still linger... like when coaches say "gotta review the tape" -- what tape? Are they going to fire up the old VCR?
"Hang up" the phone

The B1G schedule is so damn grueling. 21 games if you include BTT first round game. How the heck can we win 9 more conf games?
split in two rock fights with Rutgers
split with Indiana
beat Michigan like a drum twice
split with Wisconsin
split with Ohio State
lose to Purdue
beat Nebraska
beat Minnesota
split with Iowa
beat Penn State
lose at Maryland
split with Illinois

thats a way to win 11 more.
So maybe we throw in a couple of subpar efforts and only finish 10-10 in the conference...

Seriously though, there are so many open questions.

Will Nicholson regress against significantly better centers?
Will Vehoeven get overwhelmed?
Will Barnhizer, Roper and Hunger step up?
Will Audige revert to turnovers and bad shots against better defenders?
Will Beran disappear in games like he has in the past when the games get physical?
Will Collins thrive or fail with his job on the line?

Seriously though, there are so many open questions.

Will Nicholson regress against significantly better centers?
Will Vehoeven get overwhelmed?
Will Barnhizer, Roper and Hunger step up?
Will Audige revert to turnovers and bad shots against better defenders?
Will Beran disappear in games like he has in the past when the games get physical?
Will Collins thrive or fail with his job on the line?
Yes!

Also, will Chip and Joanna survive their latest challenge?

NU has soared up the ratings and now sits at #39, which would almost certainly put them in the NCAAs. That could change in conference play, of course, but it's pretty cool. Auburn is back up to a Quad 1 loss. Going forward, NU needs Michigan State and Pitt to stay in the top 75, which will keep MSU as a good win and avoid Pitt becoming a bad loss.

This week brings a final Quad 4 home game against Brown, but then things ramp up significantly with a Quad 1 home opponent in #15 Ohio State.

QUAD 1 (1-1)
N #28 Auburn - L
A #68 Michigan State - W

QUAD 2 (1-1)
H #70 Pittsburgh - L
N #74 Liberty - W

QUAD 3 (2-0)
H #123 Purdue Fort Wayne - W
A #230 Georgetown - W

QUAD 4 (5-0)
H #176 DePaul - W
H #245 Prairie View A&M - W
H #252 UIC - W
H #277 Chicago State - W
H #283 Northern Illinois - W

NU has soared up the ratings and now sits at #39, which would almost certainly put them in the NCAAs. That could change in conference play, of course, but it's pretty cool. Auburn is back up to a Quad 1 loss. Going forward, NU needs Michigan State and Pitt to stay in the top 75, which will keep MSU as a good win and avoid Pitt becoming a bad loss.

This week brings a final Quad 4 home game against Brown, but then things ramp up significantly with a Quad 1 home opponent in #15 Ohio State.

QUAD 1 (1-1)
N #28 Auburn - L
A #68 Michigan State - W

QUAD 2 (1-1)
H #70 Pittsburgh - L
N #74 Liberty - W

QUAD 3 (2-0)
H #123 Purdue Fort Wayne - W
A #230 Georgetown - W

QUAD 4 (5-0)
H #176 DePaul - W
H #245 Prairie View A&M - W
H #252 UIC - W
H #277 Chicago State - W
H #283 Northern Illinois - W
I like 👍 our chances against Ohio State and Brown!

After the OSU game, NU drops from #43 to #64. OSU now up to #10. All of the Big Ten is in the top 82 except for poor Minnesota at #243.

Reactions: Titanium999
As mentioned above, NU now sits at #64, which is NIT range. MSU and Pitt holding steady in the top 75 to help our resume. This week features a Quad 2 home game against Illinois and a Quad 1 road game at Indiana.

QUAD 1 (1-2)
H #10 Ohio State - L
N #35 Auburn - L
A #68 Michigan State - W

QUAD 2 (1-1)
H #70 Pittsburgh - L
N #72 Liberty - W

QUAD 3 (1-0)
H #121 Purdue Fort Wayne - W

QUAD 4 (7-0)
H #197 DePaul - W
H #203 Brown - W
A #242 Georgetown - W
H #251 Prairie View A&M - W
H #259 UIC - W
H #288 Chicago State - W
H #292 Northern Illinois - W

Not that I believe we will be a bubble team. But just read our SOS for non conference games was #297. We have no "bad losses", but this seems like it would probably be pretty debilitating. Of course it would depend on what other teams are on the bubble.

Who's hopeful. You're hopeful, I'm not hopeful.

I think the confusion is that the info comes from the ESPN article below. And NU is the #9 easiest listed. But the list is composed of just teams considered potential bubble teams.

Pitt beat UVA on Tuesday. How are they still below NU in these rankings, and at what point do they become a Quad 1?

Thanks to a great week, NU has risen up to #47 in the NET ratings, which puts them on the tournament bubble - and with two good wins already, I'd feel pretty good in their position if the season ended today. Barring a collapse by either team, both of those Quad 1 wins should stay in that category going forward, and if Illinois can improve into the top 30 that'll become a third.

This week features a Quad 1 home game against Rutgers and a Quad 2 road game in Ann Arbor.

QUAD 1 (2-2)
H #14 Ohio State - L
A #25 Indiana - W
N #33 Auburn - L
A #52 Michigan State - W

QUAD 2 (2-1)
H #37 Illinois - W
H #67 Pittsburgh - L
N #68 Liberty - W

QUAD 3 (1-0)
H #151 Purdue Fort Wayne - W

QUAD 4 (7-0)
H #191 DePaul - W
H #229 Brown - W
A #247 Georgetown - W
H #253 Prairie View A&M - W
H #269 UIC - W
H #295 Chicago State - W
H #311 Northern Illinois - W

After a tough week, NU has dropped to #59 in the NET ratings, which would put them solidly in the NIT. Illinois has moved up enough to become another Quad 1 win, which is great. This week features a Quad 1 road game at Iowa and a Quad 2 home game against Wisconsin.

QUAD 1 (3-4)
H #16 Rutgers - L
H #22 Ohio State - L
H #23 Illinois - W
N #26 Auburn - L
A #32 Indiana - W
A #42 Michigan State - W
A #75 Michigan - L

QUAD 2 (1-1)
H #58 Pittsburgh - L
N #68 Liberty - W

QUAD 3 (1-0)
H #159 Purdue Fort Wayne - W

QUAD 4 (7-0)
H #171 DePaul - W
H #218 Brown - W
A #255 Georgetown - W
H #258 Prairie View A&M - W
H #273 UIC - W
H #294 Chicago State - W
H #303 Northern Illinois - W

NU didn't play this week due to COVID, but this actually helped, as they've jumped up 8 spots to #51, which is certainly in the NIT and likely NCAA bubble territory. They have lost one quality win, as the Illinois home win has dropped into Quad 2. That said, if the Illini get back into the top 30, that once again becomes a quality win, and if Liberty can crack the top 50 that becomes one as well.

Three games this week: Quad 2 at home against Wisconsin, Quad 2 at Nebraska, and Quad 4 at home against Minnesota.

QUAD 1 (2-3)
A #19 Indiana - W
H #22 Rutgers - L
N #23 Auburn - L
H #24 Ohio State - L
A #41 Michigan State - W

QUAD 2 (2-2)
H #31 Illinois - W
N #53 Liberty - W
H #65 Pittsburgh - L
A #77 Michigan - L

QUAD 3 (1-0)