ADVERTISEMENT

#24 in AP Poll

zeek55

Nov 21, 2010
And we're definitely going to be #23-25 in CFP.

#26 in coaches.

Good spots. Highest ranked 4 loss team. Even above Miss. State of SEC. That's respect.

Beat Minnesota and Illinois. We can be top 20 in all 3 polls by championship game.

Last edited:
And we're definitely going to be #23-25 in CFP.

#26 in coaches.

Good spots. Highest ranked 4 loss team. Even above Miss. State of SEC. That's respect.

Beat Minnesota and Illinois. We can be top 20 in all 3 polls by championship game.
So now we need to zip our lips, temporarily, about no respect. Duke beat us like they caught us stealing chickens, have only 3 losses and no bad losses. Unranked.

Perennial rankings darling Stanford has 4 losses and is barely getting votes

So now we need to zip our lips, temporarily, about no respect. Duke beat us like they caught us stealing chickens, have only 3 losses and no bad losses. Unranked.

Yep. I'm guessing but this has to be the first time in a long time (maybe '96?) that we're the highest rank team with our number of losses.

That's respect. We're above all the other 4 loss teams and even a 3 loss team that beat us.

Now we need to take care of business against Minnesota and Illinois so we keep that respect.

A pleasant surprise. We've done well on national broadcasts these last three weeks, even losing to ND but staying in the game until the end. I've heard positive meantion about playing Michigan close earlier. Need to close.

Reactions: zeek55
I hope the climate changes and/or we don't have the kind of reaction to the weather like Purdue did yesterday at Minny! Gosh, I flipped back and forth on espn2 to fox during commercials and it was simply nasty weather up north. The Purdue players looked absolutely miserable playing in those conditions. Minny certainly had the edge insofar as weather goes. But if I recall correctly...even though it was in Evanston last year, the Minn game was rainy and cold as well?? Even our strength coach seemed to be having the time of his life in the elements! And being that for some nebulous reason, we seem to play better in away games, I really don't know what to think about the conditions this Sat.??

Reactions: nickcat4
I hope the climate changes and/or we don't have the kind of reaction to the weather like Purdue did yesterday at Minny! Gosh, I flipped back and forth on espn2 to fox during commercials and it was simply nasty weather up north. The Purdue players looked absolutely miserable playing in those conditions. Minny certainly had the edge insofar as weather goes. But if I recall correctly...even though it was in Evanston last year, the Minn game was rainy and cold as well?? Even our strength coach seemed to be having the time of his life in the elements! And being that for some nebulous reason, we seem to play better in away games, I really don't know what to think about the conditions this Sat.??

Yes. NU crushed Minny in bad weather last year.

True but Duke hasn't beat any team of note (except us) and will join us in the 4 losses club by the end of next week.

The division championship matters. It’s winning something that brings respect. Keep winning things.

Last edited:
Duke is good. They whipped NU. The Cats have 3 wins over ranked teams. Duke has none. I think that's why NU is ranked and Duke isn't.

Reactions: CatFanEd
OK dumb question, but which networks use the AP as the criteria for the rolling scroll bars reporting on the day's CFB results that are limited to the top 25? Hopefully ESPN/ABC/ESPNU?

OK dumb question, but which networks use the AP as the criteria for the rolling scroll bars reporting on the day's CFB results that are limited to the top 25? Hopefully ESPN/ABC/ESPNU?
All of them use AP until week 9 when the CFP rankings kick in and then they use CFP.

So you'll see the CFP ranking there if we get one (I expect us to get 23-25 in the CFP).

[That's why ND had a #4 last week and Iowa had #21 this week; those were their CFP rankings.]

Reactions: Alaskawildkat

What do you mean no bad losses? If Akron isn't a bad loss, I don't know what is.

What do you mean no bad losses? If Akron isn't a bad loss, I don't know what is.
He meant Duke.

Duke is 7-3 with a head-to-head win over us and the voters are willing to put us over them at 6-4 because of the higher quality of our wins.

Voters are willing to overlook the Akron game to an extent and I think CFP will too.

Last edited:
I think he meant from a scoring standpoint.
I think he meant Duke has no bad losses, which buoys the argument that we are getting some respect. Our Akron loss certainly was a bad one but there’s nothing we can do about it now....except flush it!

Reactions: phatcat
2 of our losses came to top four teams in relatively close fashion.

....aaaaand then there is Akron

I'd almost put Dook in that category as well (for the manner of the loss).

Duke is good. They whipped NU. The Cats have 3 wins over ranked teams. Duke has none. I think that's why NU is ranked and Duke isn't.

Dook is a middling (at best) ACC team.

A close loss is one thing, but to get spanked...

While it hasn't shown up in many of the recent articles or the coaches' poll, the 'Cats actually got respect from a couple of power rankings (ESPN, SI) even before securing the B1GW.

Both the ESPN and SI power rankings included the 'Cats after the Wisky win; and ESPN still had the 'Cats ranked (20th) even after the loss to the Domers and currently has them ranked 16th.

'Cats still not back on SI's power ranking (never have been on the one for TSN) but are listed as on the verge.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT