ADVERTISEMENT

5% of NBA tests positive in their first round; season still going to start July 31st

CatManTrue

Oct 4, 2008
Folks, I dare say there will be a football season if the NBA, MLB, and other leagues are able to pull theirs off. The main question is if any fans will be let in the stadium. All of this hubbub about there being no college football appears to have been overblown:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/5-of-nba-players-test-positive-for-the-virus-11593191061

Stay safe, wear masks, and get ready for a wild NU run to the B1G title!

Paddy Fisher for President in 2020.

Folks, I dare say there will be a football season if the NBA, MLB, and other leagues are able to pull theirs off. The main question is if any fans will be let in the stadium. All of this hubbub about there being no college football appears to have been overblown:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/5-of-nba-players-test-positive-for-the-virus-11593191061

OMG! Let's Git This Party Started!

Yet it's being reported about a week ago that 37 players tested positive for the virus at Clemson, 23 at Texas tech, 15 at Texas, 30 at LSU and 14 at Kansas State. Many more with around 10 cases. Also some schools, like Boise State have shut their programs down. Overblown? Don't think so.

Reactions: Titanium999
I doubt there's gonna be much football this fall.

EbdNnHYXsAAbH9S

The NBA season is being held in Orlando, at DisneyWorld. They’re not blinking and neither will the NCAA.

I look forward to watching the Cats in East Lansing in 3 short months.

I will take any wager on there not being one down of college football this season.

I will take any wager on there not being one down of college football this season.
Is gambling allowed by the Rivals TOS?

If so, what’s your wager? I tend to default to charity wagers in these situations (loser donates to charitable cause of the winner).

Reactions: Titanium999
PM me. Happy to arrange it.
I thought about it a bit more... given the current pandemic and resulting economic environment for a lot of folks, it may be a bit insensitive to wager on if a sports season happens or not - even if for charity. I’m not opposed to a friendly wager in normal circumstances, but this one didn’t quite sit right.

However I do think there will be football. Some programs may sit out, but most athletic departments will collapse without football - and the SEC and Big 12 fanbases simply breathe college football. Plus Clemson, OSU, and others are in title hunts and will take the risk.

The one thing that could change this: if there are deaths within programs that could have been prevented. I don’t think many college football players are at high risk, aside from heavier guys with asthma. However older, less healthy coaches are - and ideally they’re kept away from huddles or even players.

Our DC Hankwitz has no need to be within 15 yards of his assistants or players at this point to do his job and do it well. All of his position coaches are great, younger, and can do the “hands on” work. I hope they’re smart enough to realize that and delegate to keep him healthy.

I thought about it a bit more... given the current pandemic and resulting economic environment for a lot of folks, it may be a bit insensitive to wager on if a sports season happens or not - even if for charity. I’m not opposed to a friendly wager in normal circumstances, but this one didn’t quite sit right.

I'll take the win.

However I do think there will be football. Some programs may sit out, but most athletic departments will collapse without football - and the SEC and Big 12 fanbases simply breathe college football. Plus Clemson, OSU, and others are in title hunts and will take the risk.

The one thing that could change this: if there are deaths within programs that could have been prevented. I don’t think many college football players are at high risk, aside from heavier guys with asthma. However older, less healthy coaches are - and ideally they’re kept away from huddles or even players.

Our DC Hankwitz has no need to be within 15 yards of his assistants or players at this point to do his job and do it well. All of his position coaches are great, younger, and can do the “hands on” work. I hope they’re smart enough to realize that and delegate to keep him healthy.
Just to be clear.... the problem with young people taking on these risks is not as much about their personal health - it's that they provide hosts that keep this virus alive and thriving in the population. Yes, young people aren't affected as much it seems and many may even not feel anything, but everyone of them keep the virus in the local population. It then spreads to those who are more vulnerable. The decisions they make about risk is a decision that affects us all. It's not just about their risk. It's about our ability to contain the spread.

Man.... I wish more people would get this idea so we could control this thing.

Reactions: Alan Smithee

Hank could just work from the upper deck booth.

Good luck. They need to be forced by penalty of law. I swear, the rest of the world will have this all taken care of and here will be the US (and Brazil and India).

I'll take the win.
Only if no football is played. We’ll find out who was correct in three months.

Did you see that NFL players are holding their own throwing sessions without approval of the NFLPA?

I just donated significant sums to three different food banks. They’re the winners.

They are! And the charity which would have gotten your money from our bet would have also been a winner. Along with me. Now it's just me!

They are! And the charity which would have gotten your money from our bet would have also been a winner. Along with me. Now it's just me!
You could just create another handle to agree with you and anoint yourself as the winner.

I think Fitz52 is available. You can message Turk for more info.

And you can thank me when we’re cheering on the Cats from afar as they battle Sparty in less than three months. I think we’ll have football without any fans in the stadium.

Just to be clear.... the problem with young people taking on these risks is not as much about their personal health - it's that they provide hosts that keep this virus alive and thriving in the population. Yes, young people aren't affected as much it seems and many may even not feel anything, but everyone of them keep the virus in the local population. It then spreads to those who are more vulnerable. The decisions they make about risk is a decision that affects us all. It's not just about their risk. It's about our ability to contain the spread.

I think a substantial number of people who seem not to get it, actually do get it, but they are too self-centered to give a shit.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
ADVERTISEMENT