ADVERTISEMENT

(67-65) > (54-51)

ParisCat

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2002
My math might be a little off here, but to me, the Ash Wednesday Miracle barely edges out the 2000 Instant Classic at Ryan Field as the most dramatic sporting event I've ever seen in person. The fact that we beat Michigan both times makes them a little extra sweeter.

My math might be a little off here, but to me, the Ash Wednesday Miracle barely edges out the 2000 Instant Classic at Ryan Field as the most dramatic sporting event I've ever seen in person. The fact that we beat Michigan both times makes them a little extra sweeter.

Michigan seems to be at the short end of more dramatic Cats' wins than any other team I can think of. In addition to last night and the 54-51 game, I remember the 4th quarter comeback from 16-0 capped by Gowins' two straight last minute field goals and the '94 basketball overtime win over the 80% fab five featuring a Kevin Rankin 3-pointer to cement the lead. Last night, unfortunately, was the first of those I did not witness in person!

Michigan seems to be at the short end of more dramatic Cats' wins than any other team I can think of. In addition to last night and the 54-51 game, I remember the 4th quarter comeback from 16-0 capped by Gowins' two straight last minute field goals and the '94 basketball overtime win over the 80% fab five featuring a Kevin Rankin 3-pointer to cement the lead. Last night, unfortunately, was the first of those I did not witness in person!
ehh it goes both ways... you remember the moving OL FG kick win they had over us? or Trevor slipping on the 2 pt conversion after a brutal game? or the hail mary followed by FG in Ann Arbor for them to come back and beat us?

that's the fun of (especially college) sports, epic moments in both directions.

Go Cats!

Reactions: rmndcat

Think Phatcat will second this motion wholeheartedly.

Wasn't the Tre Demps game a couple years ago also against Michigan?

Wasn't the Tre Demps game a couple years ago also against Michigan?

I am getting old. The Demps game was just two years ago. Having said that, last night and the other 3 games previously cited all had relatively high stakes: the '96 and '2000 games were both necessary for conference championships and the '94 basketball game cemented an NIT bid, which for us at the time was still a pretty big deal.

Thanks for the clips.

The "54-51" Instant Classic followed the week prior's "Victory Right" Instant Classic at the Metrodome. Traveling from Alaska it was the first and only time I have had the luxury of being able to attend back to back games in person. What a memorable week. The link that will always tie the "54-51" game to last night's "Miracle" game (besides the shared opponent) is the storming of the field/court by NU fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: NUCat320
The Sean Wieber strip for the A-Train fumble, to me, is still better than the Hail Mary. Just my opinion and I can't even tell you why...it just was.

Quickie poll:

Sean Wieber strip

Or

Nate Taphorn bomb?

Or a write in for most important play by a non-NU "star player" that you'll never ever ever forget?

And I'm stealing the Matt Hartl catch before anyone else does... :)

The Sean Wieber strip for the A-Train fumble, to me, is still better than the Hail Mary. Just my opinion and I can't even tell you why...it just was.

Quickie poll:

Sean Wieber strip

Or

Nate Taphorn bomb?

Or a write in for most important play by a non-NU "star player" that you'll never ever ever forget?

And I'm stealing the Matt Hartl catch before anyone else does... :)

Good questions deserving of its own thread - accompanied by a poll.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT