ADVERTISEMENT

7.2 quake and tsunami warning + 5 days later a 4.7 Aftershock

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
OK, off topic but the present earthquake here in Anchorage is the most violent I have felt since the big one of ‘64. Anyone close to the coastline are urged to seek higher ground. Still having aftershocks as I post this.

Only minor physical damage for us.

I am clicking "LIKE" on this report because of the "only minor physical damage" statement. Obviously I would hate to see Anchorage, complete with its large karmic Moose population, disappear into the sea in a severe earthquake! :-/

Reactions: IGNORE2 and rmndcat
I am clicking "LIKE" on this report because of the "only minor physical damage" statement. Obviously I would hate to see Anchorage, complete with its large karmic Moose population, disappear into the sea in a severe earthquake! :-/

Was just about to post to see if you are okay. Glad you are. Maybe this will shake some moose loose.

Thanks.

Uh, oh. Another aftershock just now.

Speaking of the moose, animals seem to have a sense of impending earthquakes. My neighbor, accompanied by his two dogs, just came over to remind to check on gas connections and make sure we were OK. He said the people in his house were OK, but commented, it looks like the dogs may need therapy. :) They were excitedly prancing around the house before the humans knew an earthquake was going to hit.

Perhaps the "karmic Moose" already sense a shaking up Saturday.

IMG_8176_zpsbswrbcad.jpg
IMG_8168_zpsldc6y4qo.jpg

OK, off topic but the present earthquake here in Anchorage is the most violent I have felt since the big one of ‘64. Anyone close to the coastline are urged to seek higher ground. Still having aftershocks as I post this.

Just sent you an email a little while ago before I saw this post. Glad all is well.

Alaska, glad you all suffered nothing serious. Living in an earthquake zone, I dread the moments I realize the ground shaking is not a passing truck but a seismic roll.

But where is the MOOSE? Does that stuffed one count?

glad to hear you are safe- hope life returns to normality soon- assume utilities on again in time for you to see the B1G game
best wishes - mesa

Thanks all.

After spending most of the day picking up and putting back finally had time to return to the project we were engaged in (erecting the Christmas Tree) when the quake struck. Ironically, note the message on the bookmark that fell out of the Bible that fell to the floor from the mantle. (You can click to enlarge)

IMG_8178_zpsvynyfxit.jpg
IMG_8214_zpshjulwepa.jpg
IMG_8215_zpsbmy83d2i.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: rmndcat
Jeez. I would not enjoy a quake like that.

It is close to midnight here and I have already lost count of the number of aftershocks. At least three of them were between 5,0 and 6.0.

Hoping this one is not like the recent quake in Kyushu Japan where there was a second major one the following day. May today's only shakeup be the one in Indianapolis when all the pundits are proved wrong and the Wildcats punch their ticket to the Rose Bowl.

Last edited:
It is close to midnight here and I have already lost count of the number of aftershocks. At least three of them were between 5,0 and 6.0.

Hoping this one is not like the recent quake in Kyushu Japan where there was a second major one the following day. May today's only shakeup be the one in Indianapolis when all the pundits are proved wrong and the Wildcats punch their ticket to the Rose Bowl.

Stay safe. Here's hoping the Cats will give you something pleasant to think about today that will distract you from your troubles.

P.S. Any Moose Sightings?

Reactions: rmndcat and NUMBfan

Dale you are most definitely in our thoughts and prayers. Please stay safe, my friend!! ENJOY THE GAME!!!l :)

From the Moose thread:

Well anyway, the live Moose failed to show on my venture to check out the earthquake damage at my office today to give us a karma lock.

FWIW, on my drive today I did pass the location that was posted on USA Today's website and most other media sites showing the yesterday's earthquake collapsed on ramp. As can be seen from my photo taken today the ramp is almost ready to be driven on once again given the amazing coordinated repair efforts. (For location perspective click on the second photo to enlarge and compare the yellow sign with the arrows in both pictures.)

IMG_8263_zpsps0wq1py.jpg
IMG_8259_zpspkg3kpga.jpg

And for completeness, here is a repost regarding the office damages:

"OK, just made it back from my recon trip to my office to assess the earthquake damage from yesterday. While the major damage was a demolished standing lamp, my Northwestern table lamp remained unscathed. Adding to the Wildcat Karma my Northwestern Football Stadium replica survived unbroken despite falling some 6 feet to the floor!

CLICK TO ENLARGE
IMG_8234_zpslid9zt31.jpg
IMG_8252_zps2uc8erid.jpg
IMG_8247_zpsmmf9z4ot.jpg
IMG_8254_zpsscvpc0ej.jpg

Last edited:
Thank goodness that Mr. Dyche built his stadium to withstand the ravages of an earthquake half-way around the world!! ;)

We can only hope and pray that our Bullwinkle-friends will return in time to provide us with copious amount of Karma for our Bowl Game, wherever it may be!!

Glad you and yours are safe and sound...…. GO 'CATS!!!!

Thank goodness that Mr. Dyche built his stadium to withstand the ravages of an earthquake half-way around the world!! ;)

Glad you and yours are safe and sound...…. GO 'CATS!!!!

IMG_8247_zpsmmf9z4ot.jpg
IMG_8252_zps2uc8erid.jpg

Thanks again to all.

After a complete day of not having any significant aftershocks, we just had a sharp jolt here a few minutes ago to start out this Tuesday morning. Since the duration was extremely brief the creaking of the walls and roof sounded like a gun had gone off. Even in the 9.2 1964 Great Alaska Earthquake I don't recall a similar aftershock a full five days later.

OK, this just posted regarding the just felt tremor:

Magnitude 4.7 earthquake
12 miles from Anchorage, AK · 7:02 AM
data=8AFNn_T786mXhpEjKmQ9CYKNLlL0FvWSNrAqJLpxOi35ycsjgRjyIejYrU8ytCdwIhF_MPjTR3wj1HBvTFVapudsy9OXbkc9pb6wKqne34_KWYB9O4AS6caXz0HCQuAyq0eDMgAGN-P-ZXxTZSUHI6-nEMsd3dNVsWwFhqQV9ranTABzjEQolRvPx6dQspRdN5h80834HTIDifs7zdr79PZFrmY09XIxUYU

Sheesh. Just had another one.

Magnitude Ml 4.6
Region SOUTHERN ALASKA
Date time 2018-12-05 12:48:43.7 UTC
Location 61.32 N ; 150.05 W
Depth 31 km
Distances 2149 km NW of Vancouver, Canada / pop: 1,838,000 / local time: 04:48:43.7 2018-12-05
812 km W of Whitehorse, Canada / pop: 23,300 / local time: 04:48:43.7 2018-12-05
14 km NW of Anchorage, United States / pop: 292,000 / local time: 03:48:43.7 2018-12-05
730447.global.thumb.jpg

Source parameters provided by:
Alaska Regional Network, University of Alaska-Fairbanks -- , (AK)

Last edited:
OK just a few minutes ago there was one that was just upgraded to 4.8. It was centered less tha 10 miles from where I am parked here in my office parking lot overlooking Cook Inlet.

Possible tsunami warning on the earthquake alert site.

Just move to Sunny California. Uh, wait.. I’m few miles from Northridge..

:D Yeah, and that reminds that one of the DVD's that came flying off the shelf last Friday was "San Andreas Fault."

FWIW, here was the Earthquake Alert posting for today's shaker. As it shook, I was actually looking out toward the direction of its epicenter some 8 miles distant across Cook Inlet.

CLICK TO ENLARGE
IMG_8459_zpsbojsbdzg.png

We have relatively few earthquakes in the UK (although we have more now that fracking has been allyto resume).

Just a brief update. Now after almost two weeks we are still experiencing aftershocks. Sunday morning we had one at 5.0 but it was later downgraded to 4.8. I was in a public meeting when that one occurred and there was a stunned silence as the speaker didn't miss a beat and adopted her remarks to fit the situation. She had been talking about water and the shaking gave her an opportunity to comment that the one item local stores ran out of in the main earthquake was bottled water. Now the aftershocks seem to be staying under 3.0 which is a level at which they are not usually felt. Of interest though is their frequency and closer proximity to the population center of Anchorage, usually about 12 to 18 miles out.

As far as physical damage, two schools have had to be closed with the students relocating - and that was after a full week of no school for all students while structures were assessed and clean up could be completed. In the several places where the road collapsed those areas have been made useable but will likely not be repaved until the summer. The graphic below identifies the houses that were condemned (red) or in need of substantial repair. (MOA is Municipality of Anchorage and MAT-SU is he Matanuska-Susitna Valley outside of Anchorage.)

One of the condemned houses belonged to a friend located about two miles from my place. He was lucky to have purchased earthquake insurance just a few months ago but the deductible will be $70,000. (Those of us who have earthquake insurance are paying an extra $1,000 a year for it.) There may eventually be assistance from the government to help but in the meantime those of us who know his family have been contributing to a funding effort for their immediate needs.

All in all though we remain fortunate that the damage was limited to hundreds rather than thousands of homes and most of all that there were no major injuries or deaths. A lot of credit is being given to the engineering design of structures here in compliance with the safety codes that were implemented after the Great Alaska Earthquake of 1964. One area that was not required to comply with the Anchorage Municipal building codes (Eagle River) saw a disproportionate number of homes damaged.

IMG_8514_zpstm98onxg.jpg
IMG_8524_zpsvncif262.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_8899_zpskcnj5a5w.png

Despite its proximity to Alaska, Russia gets credited for this initially reported as a 7.4 quake from yesterday. Fortunately no tsunami followed. Unknown what damages may have been consequent. Damages from the 7.0 Alaska quake of 3 weeks ago continue to be tallied and are in the millions of dollars. The building in which my office is located was just inspected yesterday and thankfully posted as "Lawful Occupancy Permitted."

Indirectly the recent Alaska earthquake may have been responsible for two deaths this week consequent from ice that was loosened in the quake creating a hazard for husband and wife snowmobilers, one of whom was just located after an extensive search.

Last edited:
This morning woke to a sharp jolt. Its epicenter 12 miles from Anchorage and low depth contributed to its intensity here. Initially rated 5.1 it has now been downgraded to 5.0. Apart from understandable emotional "damage" for some, there was little physical damage apart from a few things falling off shelves.

Given location and passage of time, this one qualifies as a separate earthquake, and not an aftershock of the November 30th "big one."

IMG_0379_zpstqn5bwa1.png

That’s a lot of seismic activity. Hopefully the “little” quakes you’re experiencing is releasing off some of the built up pressure and keeping away a stronger event.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
That’s a lot of seismic activity. Hopefully the “little” quakes you’re experiencing is releasing off some of the built up pressure and keeping away a stronger event.
By now, I'd have thought Alaska would be using charcoal capsules.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT