ADVERTISEMENT

A friendly reminder that LaSalle beat Saint Peter's 61-40

freewillie07

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2017
Allowing only 19 first-half points.

NU is currently only up by two, 24-22, with 3:23 to go in the first half.

NU plays LaSalle on Saturday.

So, it’s settled. The NU football team would destroy Ohio State.

I just stated facts. Didn't say NU would lose.

Another fact: It's now 61-51 NU with 6:31 left. NU has 16 turnovers.

La Salle is ~100 spots higher on KenPom. 117 vs 215 for Saint Peters.

I just stated facts. Didn't say NU would lose.

Another fact: It's now 61-51 NU with 6:31 left. NU has 16 turnovers.

La Salle is ~100 spots higher on KenPom. 117 vs 215 for Saint Peters.

So what’s your conclusion?

That we need to have players off the bench score and we should pound these teams into submission. I thought ash improved. He still misses a lot of shots

I don't know. Maybe Loyola Md. and Saint Peter's are vastly underrated. Or maybe NU is not playing like a Top 25 team, by any stretch. I think it's the latter.

Minnesota just beat Providence (KenPom #24) by 12.

Creighton is #42. We'll soon learn what this team is capable of.

If I were Collins I’d be pissed. It’s really unacceptable to only beat this team by 10. Last year we would have won by 20 at least. Hopefully Falzon is finally healthy because we need him and also some scoring from the bench

I thought we would have a deep bench this year. Maybe the injuries are a factor, but sure looks like our starters are gonna be playing heavy minutes this year again.

If I were Collins I’d be pissed. It’s really unacceptable to only beat this team by 10. Last year we would have won by 20 at least. Hopefully Falzon is finally healthy because we need him and also some scoring from the bench

Like we did vs Chicago State.

More turnovers this game than both of those games combined.
Which means more correctable self inflicted wounds which I would rather have at this point than having to explain how a team like St Peters, Eastern Washington or Houston Baptist could hang around without help from us.

Reactions: Alan Smithee
Seriously don't be so down on this team. They played solid defense today (except for some stupid mis communication). Were sloppy with turnovers but that will change against the good teams. Everything they've been messing up is just rust and fixable. Defense will keep NU in almost every game. I have a feeling we might be playing to level of competition as Noah said. I have no worries about this team. It's way to early to make any predictions basketball is unpredictable on any given night. RELAX. We have Law Lindsey and Bmac who show up every night. A possible big game from pardon or Skelly and NU becomes very very hard to stop. I'm not being overly optimistic but this team so for sure top five in the big ten with no injuries.

After 2 games, that right now, the 'Cats have trouble with smaller/quicker lineups.

Going forward, can see teams opting for a guard/wing heavy line-ups.

This where where not having Lumpkin hurts (like Gaines's potential, but don't like to rely on a frosh and have yet to see a jump in play from Ash and Brown).

That we need to have players off the bench score and we should pound these teams into submission. I thought ash improved. He still misses a lot of shots

Yeah, was expecting more from Ash and Brown.

Not good when BMac has already logged 75 minutes in games against Loyola and St. Pete.

We have Law Lindsey and Bmac who show up every night.

They may show up, but there were numerous times when 2 of the 3 struggled to hit their shots last season.

And as we saw last season, can't rely on all 3 playing every game this season.

Pardon should be good for 10 pts/gm most games and as we saw tonight, Skelly will have his moments, but even w/ Falzon back (assuming he gets the start), the 'Cats need to find a consistent scorer off the bench.

Were sloppy with turnovers but that will change against the good teams.

So against good defenses NU won't turn the ball over, but against bad teams they will? How do you figure? I'd say a team with great defenders will continue to create turnovers.

I'll give the OP 20 points and take the Cats against Lasalle

Not a betting man, but I have a hard time seeing NU cruise like that in their first road game of the season. Maybe Creighton will wake them up.

I don't want to be a downer. But after a hype-filled offseason, it's hard to not be disappointed in the first two contests. Top 25 teams may struggle out of the gates once, but not usually twice. Without Falzon and with Rap not ready, this doesn't feel or look like a dominant team.

Go Cats. Beat Creighton.

Reactions: scru
Maybe the team is playing down to the level of the competition.
It is hard to know what is in a team's head but team's do play up and down to the level of competition. The other thing that may be lurking in the back of their minds is this very crowded schedule of games in a row over a couple of weeks. Getting the win is important, exhausting yourself to get the big win could hurt in a later game. Need to see how they do against a better team and over this whole busy stretch.

So against good defenses NU won't turn the ball over, but against bad teams they will? How do you figure? I'd say a team with great defenders will continue to create turnovers.

Not a betting man, but I have a hard time seeing NU cruise like that in their first road game of the season. Maybe Creighton will wake them up.

I don't want to be a downer. But after a hype-filled offseason, it's hard to not be disappointed in the first two contests. Top 25 teams may struggle out of the gates once, but not usually twice. Without Falzon and with Rap not ready, this doesn't feel or look like a dominant team.

Go Cats. Beat Creighton.
I figure we are playing down to competition early in the season. Will tighten down later when we vs better teams.

Reactions: Noah121
Joey Meier said the difference between a close game and a 20 point win is whether or not a weaker three point shooting opponent (like St. Peter's) hits their threes. They did against the cats but didn't against LaSalle.

Reactions: Gladeskat
Joey Meier said the difference between a close game and a 20 point win is whether or not a weaker three point shooting opponent (like St. Peter's) hits their threes. They did against the cats but didn't against LaSalle.
They were 7/20 against LaSalle and 10/26 against NU. That 9 point difference doesn't explain their 21 point loss to LaSalle.....

Everyone needs to relax. This is a new team finding its identity.
Nailed it.

I think Pardon had 2 travels and Skelly 3! Also some dumb fouls. The turnovers will get cleaned up and I think we will again become respected for our defense (in time).To my eyes (and I sit in row CCC) Collins is frustrated but not at all panicking. I think he knows what his guys need to hear, when, and how. I’m really appreciating his talent as a coach.

Now if we get blown out tonight by Creighton I will start to panic, but if we win (which will only happen wo excessive TOs and fouls) I think the teams confidence will be fine. I hope they develop their identity soon but think it could be several weeks away.

I think a solid performance and win tonight could do wonders. Let’s get it done, men!

Go ‘Cats

Nailed it.

I think Pardon had 2 travels and Skelly 3! Also some dumb fouls. The turnovers will get cleaned up and I think we will again become respected for our defense (in time).To my eyes (and I sit in row CCC) Collins is frustrated but not at all panicking. I think he knows what his guys need to hear, when, and how. I’m really appreciating his talent as a coach.

Now if we get blown out tonight by Creighton I will start to panic, but if we win (which will only happen wo excessive TOs and fouls) I think the teams confidence will be fine. I hope they develop their identity soon but think it could be several weeks away.

I think a solid performance and win tonight could do wonders. Let’s get it done, men!

Go ‘Cats
Cats are 4 point favorites.

I don't know. Maybe Loyola Md. and Saint Peter's are vastly underrated. Or maybe NU is not playing like a Top 25 team, by any stretch. I think it's the latter.

Minnesota just beat Providence (KenPom #24) by 12.

Creighton is #42. We'll soon learn what this team is capable of.
Actually , probably a bit of both. St. Peters appeared to be well coached and even though this is a rebuilding year for them

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT