ADVERTISEMENT

A special place

Catsdad50

Oct 17, 2018
I wanted to write to all you fans and tell you the kind of program you support. When times get tough and you can no longer contribute to a program is when you find out what that program is truly about. Fitz and his staff have been nothing but supportive of Jango. They talked to him and made it clear they are always there for him. They understand how difficult it is for a player who has played football their whole life then all of a sudden doesn’t. I can’t be happier as a parent that this is the staff my son is going through this with. Jango loves his position coach, and we all love Fitz. Coach Hanks is the best coach in the B1G, and my son learned so much from him. Coach Long is another great coach and overall person. We have a great support staff headed up by my friend, Coach Hooten.

I appreciate Fitz looking after my son’s health over that of winning. It would have been very easy for Fitz to put Jango in before he had the year he needed to heal. He could have also thrown him on special teams, where there is a higher risk of injury. I even got aggravated because Jango was not playing, but I appreciate Coach Fitz putting the health of my son above all else. There aren’t many coaches who would do that. The coaching staff is what makes our football program special. Every coach on the staff believes in the principle of treating our young men like they would their own sons. I was a huge Fitz fan when he played because of his heart, and now I am a bigger fan because I have seen a different part of his heart.

The last four years of my son’s career have been pretty painful to live through. He had three major shoulder injuries in these four years. I have watched him work his butt off to recover and even to get better than before he was injured. He never lost his drive to be the best. He called me today to tell me Coach Fitz took Jango aside and told him his character and work ethic didn’t go unnoticed. He valued him as a player and a person. That meant so much to my son . It was the thing he needed to hear the most from the person whom he needed to hear it from. A man that didn’t truly care about his players wouldn’t have done such a thing. My son is a better man for playing for Fitz and his staff.

The players at Northwestern also deserve a mention. These players are picked by Fitz and his staff because their character and values, along with being darn good players. The hardest part for me will be not hanging out with these players. I enjoyed each and every one of them. The players are a special group of young men who grind like no other football team in the nation. They grind In the classrooms and on the field. It is 24-hr stress from competing in the classroom, practices, and games. Their isn’t anyone who truly understands the demands on these players except other Northwestern football players.

There are also the fans. The fans who have supported Northwestern through thick and thin. There have been lean years, but under Fitz you can stick your chest out and raise your head. We are good; we are going to be great. Don’t be shocked if I see you all in Indy this year and next. I appreciate the love , support, and concern you have shown my son. I am proud to be a part of the Wildcat family. I know you all get frustrated at the coaches and players, but understand they want to win more than you. Please understand the stress and workload they carry. It is easy to forget that they are up at 4:30 am and usually up late studying football and doing homework. Then that day starts all over again at 4:30 . The days start blending together. They sit through their classes with concussions and other injuries. When you get aggravated with the coaches, remember you don’t have all the information. You don’t know if Fitz isn’t playing a player to protect him, or if he disciplining a player for not living up to what is expected of a Northwestern student-athlete. Understand that every player who represents Northwestern want to bring the B1G trophy home to their loyal fans, who they know have endured so much.

Lastly, I am not going to be on these boards ‘til after this season. I know too much of what is going on. I don’t want to say something that shouldn’t be said. Also I love these players and the coaches and I never want to say something that could be mistaken as unkind or unsupportive. It is human nature to say things you shouldn’t when you are disappointed, but I don’t want to be that guy. I also want you to know that you guys are awesome. Some of us may not agree politically, but that doesn’t change the fact you are great people and I admire your passions.

It really sucks that Jango has to hang it up. Football is a brutal sport. We appreciate his efforts to represent the university that belongs to all of us.

It's quite heartening to hear your feelings about the staff. I love Northwestern in large part because so many people at my school, Medill, took great care of me, often putting my aspirations and goals ahead of whatever the rules said they were supposed to do, and taking personal interest in developing me for my success. Sometimes they told me what I didn't want to hear. That was the best advice.

Athletics are the most public-facing component of Division I universities, and it makes me very happy as an alum to hear that the most public-facing program within that department treats its students the same way my program treated me. We drink the Kool-Aid from the outside, but this is the real deal. Not everything is perfect, I'm sure - MOAR is how I believe some in these parts express it - but performing the fundamental roles of health, safety, education, and personal development, even if that comes before winning at times, is a special thing.

It really sucks that Jango has to hang it up. Football is a brutal sport. We appreciate his efforts to represent the university that belongs to all of us.

It's quite heartening to hear your feelings about the staff. I love Northwestern in large part because so many people at my school, Medill, took great care of me, often putting my aspirations and goals ahead of whatever the rules said they were supposed to do, and taking personal interest in developing me for my success. Sometimes they told me what I didn't want to hear. That was the best advice.

Athletics are the most public-facing component of Division I universities, and it makes me very happy as an alum to hear that the most public-facing program within that department treats its students the same way my program treated me. We drink the Kool-Aid from the outside, but this is the real deal. Not everything is perfect, I'm sure - MOAR is how I believe some in these parts express it - but performing the fundamental roles of health, safety, education, and personal development, even if that comes before winning at times, is a special thing.
My son never got to play, but because of this staff, players, and fans my son feels good about himself and his University He will always bleed purple

My son never got to play, but because of this staff, players, and fans my son feels good about himself and his University He will always bleed purple
Jango will always be a Wildcat. While the injuries suck, he’ll earn a Northwestern degree and have many opportunities after football.

I quit the team my freshman year and life has been unreasonably good to me since despite my many shortcomings. Your son will find that, despite his injuries, his general football stories will resonate with fans of the sport in all walks of life - and the discipline and teamwork that he learned will serve him well wherever he goes, and whatever he does.

I wish him a full recovery as, personally speaking, I’ve learned getting off the gridiron won’t lessen the pain over the years. But his pride of being a representative of Northwestern University will carry him through other ordeals, and, to quote the Simpsons, “chicks dig scars”. Please do keep posting when you feel comfortable, you’ll always be apart of the Wildcat family.

Jango will always be a Wildcat. While the injuries suck, he’ll earn a Northwestern degree and have many opportunities after football.

I quit the team my freshman year and life has been unreasonably good to me since despite my many shortcomings. Your son will find that, despite his injuries, his general football stories will resonate with fans of the sport in all walks of life - and the discipline and teamwork that he learned will serve him well wherever he goes, and whatever he does.

I wish him a full recovery as, personally speaking, I’ve learned getting off the gridiron won’t lessen the pain over the years. But his pride of being a representative of Northwestern University will carry him through other ordeals, and, to quote the Simpsons, “chicks dig scars”. Please do keep posting when you feel comfortable, you’ll always be apart of the Wildcat family.
And while a shoulder can still be a pain and disruptive, at least he won't walk funny

And while a shoulder can still be a pain and disruptive, at least he won't walk funny
I laughed at that as I still have a partially torn ACL, a repaired meniscus, a beat up hip, and a strained Achilles in one of my legs. So I have a slight limp when I don’t watch it, but my still-torn post labrum acts up and is much more painful once in a while. At least my guy Jango only has to worry about his upper body in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Catsdad50
I laughed at that as I still have a partially torn ACL, a repaired meniscus, a beat up hip, and a strained Achilles in one of my legs. Plus I tore the growth plate in the ankle of the same length my freshman year of high school. And I broke that femur during the 4th grade.

So I have a slight limp when I don’t watch it, but my still-torn post labrum acts up and is much more painful once in a while. At least my guy Jango only has to worry about his upper body in the future.
I was hoping someone would get a laugh out of it. My torn ACL was reconstructed and I have done well with it. But when my shoulder went out during sex........

Reactions: Mossreportdos
I was hoping someone would get a laugh out of it. My torn ACL was reconstructed and I have done well with it. But when my shoulder went out during sex........
Hey your post was cut off! What happened next, or before? Or did you get distracted by winning the Mega Millions?

Reactions: hdhntr1
Catsdad50 I just have to say that it was a pleasure meeting you and walking to the stadium with you before the Duke game. I was hoping to get to meet you, and happy that I did! I’m disappointed for Jango that he has to hang up the cleats, because I saw how hard he worked by following you on Twitter! I’m happy that NU will always have you and him in the big Purple Family that we have!

Catsdad50 I just have to say that it was a pleasure meeting you and walking to the stadium with you before the Duke game. I was hoping to get to meet you, and happy that I did! I’m disappointed for Jango that he has to hang up the cleats, because I saw how hard he worked by following you on Twitter! I’m happy that NU will always have you and him in the big Purple Family that we have!
We will make that walk again my friend.

I wanted to write to all you fans and tell you the kind of program you support. When times get tough and you can no longer contribute to a program is when you find out what that program is truly about. Fitz and his staff have been nothing but supportive of Jango. They talked to him and made it clear they are always there for him. They understand how difficult it is for a player who has played football their whole life then all of a sudden doesn’t. I can’t be happier as a parent that this is the staff my son is going through this with. Jango loves his position coach, and we all love Fitz. Coach Hanks is the best coach in the B1G, and my son learned so much from him. Coach Long is another great coach and overall person. We have a great support staff headed up by my friend, Coach Hooten.

I appreciate Fitz looking after my son’s health over that of winning. It would have been very easy for Fitz to put Jango in before he had the year he needed to heal. He could have also thrown him on special teams, where there is a higher risk of injury. I even got aggravated because Jango was not playing, but I appreciate Coach Fitz putting the health of my son above all else. There aren’t many coaches who would do that. The coaching staff is what makes our football program special. Every coach on the staff believes in the principle of treating our young men like they would their own sons. I was a huge Fitz fan when he played because of his heart, and now I am a bigger fan because I have seen a different part of his heart.

The last four years of my son’s career have been pretty painful to live through. He had three major shoulder injuries in these four years. I have watched him work his butt off to recover and even to get better than before he was injured. He never lost his drive to be the best. He called me today to tell me Coach Fitz took Jango aside and told him his character and work ethic didn’t go unnoticed. He valued him as a player and a person. That meant so much to my son . It was the thing he needed to hear the most from the person whom he needed to hear it from. A man that didn’t truly care about his players wouldn’t have done such a thing. My son is a better man for playing for Fitz and his staff.

The players at Northwestern also deserve a mention. These players are picked by Fitz and his staff because their character and values, along with being darn good players. The hardest part for me will be not hanging out with these players. I enjoyed each and every one of them. The players are a special group of young men who grind like no other football team in the nation. They grind In the classrooms and on the field. It is 24-hr stress from competing in the classroom, practices, and games. Their isn’t anyone who truly understands the demands on these players except other Northwestern football players.

There are also the fans. The fans who have supported Northwestern through thick and thin. There have been lean years, but under Fitz you can stick your chest out and raise your head. We are good; we are going to be great. Don’t be shocked if I see you all in Indy this year and next. I appreciate the love , support, and concern you have shown my son. I am proud to be a part of the Wildcat family. I know you all get frustrated at the coaches and players, but understand they want to win more than you. Please understand the stress and workload they carry. It is easy to forget that they are up at 4:30 am and usually up late studying football and doing homework. Then that day starts all over again at 4:30 . The days start blending together. They sit through their classes with concussions and other injuries. When you get aggravated with the coaches, remember you don’t have all the information. You don’t know if Fitz isn’t playing a player to protect him, or if he disciplining a player for not living up to what is expected of a Northwestern student-athlete. Understand that every player who represents Northwestern want to bring the B1G trophy home to their loyal fans, who they know have endured so much.

Lastly, I am not going to be on these boards ‘til after this season. I know too much of what is going on. I don’t want to say something that shouldn’t be said. Also I love these players and the coaches and I never want to say something that could be mistaken as unkind or unsupportive. It is human nature to say things you shouldn’t when you are disappointed, but I don’t want to be that guy. I also want you to know that you guys are awesome. Some of us may not agree politically, but that doesn’t change the fact you are great people and I admire your passions.
Great post! I was an NU athlete and can tell you there is no better place to play sports and study. Thanks for sharing.

I would hope that this post would be made available to any high school athlete (and his parents) that is being recruited by Northwestern. This is what makes the NU program so special. Playing days for football eventually come to an end and being prepared for life after football is one of the main goals of our program.
Good luck to Jango.

Were you reaching for your book on military statistics?

A great testimony. Best of luck to both you and Jango.

Hey your post was cut off! What happened next, or before? Or did you get distracted by winning the Mega Millions?
Isn't that enough? I put it back in he socket and I somehow finished what I started and then made an appointment with my orthopedic surgeon

Probably the best post I've seen on these boards ever and a reminder of what makes NU special. LouV - I would pin it to the top of the board as a reminder and so everyone (including those new to the program) will always have an opportunity to enjoy it.

Makes me almost want to cut some slack on the coaches. Best of luck to you and Jango. What he has gone through is inspiring and with what he has been through and how he has dealt with it, I have no doubt he will do fantastic in life.

These are the reasons that I continue to support this program, an island of virtue in a morass of dark money, violent crime, gladiator mentality amongst coaches and fans, and a smirking nod towards alleged student athletes.

In addition to what Catsdad said, keep in mind that these young men also carry on their shoulders the responsibility of funding the rest of the student athletes. Football money drives the bus.

I get frustrated and aggravated, but it is far better than rooting for a bunch of mercenaries

Go Cats and go Fitz

Like others have stated, your post illustrates why so many of us are proud to be fans of Northwestern- truly putting the well being of the student athlete first.

Bummed that Jango's injuries didn't give him a fair shot to fulfill his dream, but also glad that he has taken advantage of the opportunity he earned by getting a world class education. I have no doubt that the degree he will be receiving and the work ethic he has will lead him to a life of success.

I wanted to write to all you fans and tell you the kind of program you support. When times get tough and you can no longer contribute to a program is when you find out what that program is truly about. Fitz and his staff have been nothing but supportive of Jango.

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and insights with us fans. We have all been rooting for Jango and from the already 51 likes to your initial post (likely a new record), you can be certain that we will be continuing to root for him in his ventures whether football related or not.

Best of luck to Jango, who I sincerely hope has a great future. I know how bad shoulder injuries can hurt, and I hope that his pain is relatively mild.

Terrific post.

Learning of Jango's injury was a big disappointment, knowing how passionate he was about the game. I'm thrilled that the program under Fitz has become such a solid, nurturing environment for our players, able to bolster Jango, Jeremy and others whose careers were ended in disappointment. Four for forty!

Seeing the last The Journey episode made me cry like a baby. It's wonderful to see athletic teams like Rutgers and Purdue reach out and lift the poor in health and spirit and bring them along for the ride. In the process, all are blessed. Athletic coaches like Fitz and others who care about winning in ALL aspects of life make participation in athletics a special thing. I was blessed as well.

As I told you in an earlier thread, so sad that Jango has to quit the game he loves. Great post to expand on the situation! You deserve credit also, for enduring us on these boards the past few years, and fighting the good fight.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat

What page in Kama Sutra is about shoulder sex?

Sad to hear about Jango's retirement, and wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavors. He will be well-positioned to succeed in life with his Northwestern degree. And he will be remembered as having the "coolest name in college football," to boot. I enjoyed meeting you and Jango at his first meet-the-team night, and appreciate your frequent visits to our tailgate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT