ADVERTISEMENT

A Totally Unsolicited ND Scouting Report For You

irishnatty

May 17, 2015
Hey guys - ND fan here who's making the short trip up from Lincoln Park for the game on Saturday for the game. I've been up to Evanston before but haven't yet made the trip to Ryan Field so looking forward to it. I've checked in on your board a bit and saw there was some talk about ND and thought I'd give you a (largely biased) opinion of what you'll see this weekend.

Offense
QB - Ian Book has been a huge improvement over what ND came into the season with at Quarterback in Brandon Wimbush and it's why they've been a different, more dominant team since he made his first start against Wake (averaged 23 ppg with Wimbush but 40 ppg with Book). He makes very good and quick reads in both the short passing game and the zone read game. People underestimate his athleticism, especially in the pocket and he'll move the chains on 3rd down 2-3 times a game. His arm strength doesn't allow him to consistently hit on deep shots though, and he'll throw the occasional bone headed pick because he can have a gunslinger mentality without the requisite arm strength.

RB - Dexter Wliliams and Jafar Armstrong will get the bulk of the carries Saturday. Williams is very athletic and has great burst through the line but can be a liability in pass pro. Jafar Armstrong is a converted receiver so he lets them do some fun things with formations and personnel groupings. He's similarly athletic but, given it's his first year at RB, can miss some reads at the line of scrimmage.

OL - With the loss of McGlinchey and Nelson to the NFL, Notre Dame went from the best OL in the country to probably the 25-30 range nationally. They recently shuffled things against Navy and showed solid improvement but obviously that was against a bad Navy team. They've had trouble in games this year against odd fronts.

WR - Not a ton of top end speed to take the top off the defense but a lot of athleticism and size. Myles Boykin has an enormous catch radius and he and Book have a very good connection Chase Claypool is similarly huge and the best athlete here but has troubles where he'll lose focus for stretches of time. Dominant blocker when engaged. Chris Finke is the slot receiver and is your prototypical "insert every euphemism for white slot receiver" type of guy. Sure handed and slippery with solid routes but won't blow you away athletically.

TE - Big, physical, athletic group. We've done a lot more multiple tight end sets this year, mixing and matching personnel to take advantage of the group's strengths. The leader is Alize Mack who is as athletic as WR but has had issues with drops .

Defense
DL - This ND's best position group, full stop. Julian Okwara and Khalid Khareem at the two DE's have been dominant and get after the passer. The 3 tech, Jerry Tilliery, is having an All-American type season in his senior year. He had 4 sacks against Stanford. The Nose, Jonathon Bonner, is a solid but unspectacular 5th year senior.

LB - 2/3 of this group are very good and athletic in Buck (Strong side) Drue Tranquill and Mike Backer Tevon Coney. Tranquill sprained his ankle last week against Navy but is supposed to be good to go for Saturday. I'm skeptical he'll be 100%. Coney is a prototypical Mike who racks up tackles though isn't great in coverage. Rover (Weakside Backer) Asmar Bilal has had trouble matching up athletically in pass coverage.

DB - At corner, ND has one dominant cover guy in Julian Love who's getting All-American love and a Junior in Troy Pride who had been having quite a good year until last week when he got benched against Navy after looking disinterested as a tackler. The safety's are the strongest I've seen ND have since the days of Harrison Smith. Alohi Gilman is a Navy transfer who is aggressive and physical against the run and Jaelen Elliot, after 3 years in the program, has had the light go on, particularly in pass coverage.

Special Teams
We've given up two KO's for TD's this year and have looked particularly weak there. Justin Yoon is the senior place kicker (doesn't kick on kickoff's) and has been money throughout his 4 years at ND.

Overall Thoughts
This ND team has been very interesting to me because it's so counter to every other ND team I've seen BK have before (who by the way, many of you underestimate as a coach, especially in the last two years. He's about to have 3 10 win seasons out of 4 years) because it's based upon a strong and physical defensive front 7 and an offense who consistently moves the chains by picking defenses apart in the short and intermediate passing game. Historically, Kelly led ND teams have fallen off in November so that's definitely a trend we'll keep an eye on going into a stretch to finish the year where we travel Callifornia to Chicago to South Bend to New York to California again in a weird quirk of the schedule.

Overall, I just think this ND team likely has too much talent for Northwestern to hang with for 4 quarters, especially when I imagine Ryan Field will be about 2/3 ND fans. I think Fitz is a good solid football coach and NW always plays teams tough but it's still the same team that lost at home to Akron, and likely is even worse after losing Jeremy Larkin.

I think ND wins this game by about 14-20 and I'd take a final somewhere in the ballpark of 38-20. Best of luck this weekend. Let's have a good time.

Reactions: ricko654321
Hey guys - ND fan here who's making the short trip up from Lincoln Park for the game on Saturday for the game. I've been up to Evanston before but haven't yet made the trip to Ryan Field so looking forward to it. I've checked in on your board a bit and saw there was some talk about ND and thought I'd give you a (largely biased) opinion of what you'll see this weekend.

Offense
QB - Ian Book has been a huge improvement over what ND came into the season with at Quarterback in Brandon Wimbush and it's why they've been a different, more dominant team since he made his first start against Wake (averaged 23 ppg with Wimbush but 40 ppg with Book). He makes very good and quick reads in both the short passing game and the zone read game. People underestimate his athleticism, especially in the pocket and he'll move the chains on 3rd down 2-3 times a game. His arm strength doesn't allow him to consistently hit on deep shots though, and he'll throw the occasional bone headed pick because he can have a gunslinger mentality without the requisite arm strength.

RB - Dexter Wliliams and Jafar Armstrong will get the bulk of the carries Saturday. Williams is very athletic and has great burst through the line but can be a liability in pass pro. Jafar Armstrong is a converted receiver so he lets them do some fun things with formations and personnel groupings. He's similarly athletic but, given it's his first year at RB, can miss some reads at the line of scrimmage.

OL - With the loss of McGlinchey and Nelson to the NFL, Notre Dame went from the best OL in the country to probably the 25-30 range nationally. They recently shuffled things against Navy and showed solid improvement but obviously that was against a bad Navy team. They've had trouble in games this year against odd fronts.

WR - Not a ton of top end speed to take the top off the defense but a lot of athleticism and size. Myles Boykin has an enormous catch radius and he and Book have a very good connection Chase Claypool is similarly huge and the best athlete here but has troubles where he'll lose focus for stretches of time. Dominant blocker when engaged. Chris Finke is the slot receiver and is your prototypical "insert every euphemism for white slot receiver" type of guy. Sure handed and slippery with solid routes but won't blow you away athletically.

TE - Big, physical, athletic group. We've done a lot more multiple tight end sets this year, mixing and matching personnel to take advantage of the group's strengths. The leader is Alize Mack who is as athletic as WR but has had issues with drops .

Defense
DL - This ND's best position group, full stop. Julian Okwara and Khalid Khareem at the two DE's have been dominant and get after the passer. The 3 tech, Jerry Tilliery, is having an All-American type season in his senior year. He had 4 sacks against Stanford. The Nose, Jonathon Bonner, is a solid but unspectacular 5th year senior.

LB - 2/3 of this group are very good and athletic in Buck (Strong side) Drue Tranquill and Mike Backer Tevon Coney. Tranquill sprained his ankle last week against Navy but is supposed to be good to go for Saturday. I'm skeptical he'll be 100%. Coney is a prototypical Mike who racks up tackles though isn't great in coverage. Rover (Weakside Backer) Asmar Bilal has had trouble matching up athletically in pass coverage.

DB - At corner, ND has one dominant cover guy in Julian Love who's getting All-American love and a Junior in Troy Pride who had been having quite a good year until last week when he got benched against Navy after looking disinterested as a tackler. The safety's are the strongest I've seen ND have since the days of Harrison Smith. Alohi Gilman is a Navy transfer who is aggressive and physical against the run and Jaelen Elliot, after 3 years in the program, has had the light go on, particularly in pass coverage.

Special Teams
We've given up two KO's for TD's this year and have looked particularly weak there. Justin Yoon is the senior place kicker (doesn't kick on kickoff's) and has been money throughout his 4 years at ND.

Overall Thoughts
This ND team has been very interesting to me because it's so counter to every other ND team I've seen BK have before (who by the way, many of you underestimate as a coach, especially in the last two years. He's about to have 3 10 win seasons out of 4 years) because it's based upon a strong and physical defensive front 7 and an offense who consistently moves the chains by picking defenses apart in the short and intermediate passing game. Historically, Kelly led ND teams have fallen off in November so that's definitely a trend we'll keep an eye on going into a stretch to finish the year where we travel Callifornia to Chicago to South Bend to New York to California again in a weird quirk of the schedule.

Overall, I just think this ND team likely has too much talent for Northwestern to hang with for 4 quarters, especially when I imagine Ryan Field will be about 2/3 ND fans. I think Fitz is a good solid football coach and NW always plays teams tough but it's still the same team that lost at home to Akron, and likely is even worse after losing Jeremy Larkin.

I think ND wins this game by about 14-20 and I'd take a final somewhere in the ballpark of 38-20. Best of luck this weekend. Let's have a good time.
Thanks. I don't know enough about football to return the favor, even though I've been following it for 60 years. The only thing I can argue with is Mr. Bowser (love that name) has been a more than adequate replacement for Mr. Larkin. He has helped us right the ship.

This ND team has been very interesting to me because it's so counter to every other ND team I've seen BK have before (who by the way, many of you underestimate as a coach, especially in the last two years. He's about to have 3 10 win seasons out of 4 years).

Appreciate the position group analysis. The rest is hilarious arm-waving and condescension. Yeah, that loss at home to Akron is so indicative of our play as of late.

Northwestern fans will always "underestimate" BK's coaching ability after watching him fail at simple math on the football field and hand us a football game. He's stupid and will always be regarded as stupid.

Best of luck and may the game be injury free.

Offense

Defense

Special Teams

Overall Thoughts

Thanks. Appreciate the analysis. We disagree on the disparity between the two teams, but are on the same page hoping both teams are injury free.

Reactions: irishnatty

I hope this is Kelly's thought process as he prepares for NU. The last time we played NU was 3-6 with a 4 game losing streak, ND was ranked, and the stands were 99% ND fans.

We have ND right where we want you.

Reactions: HappyNUyear
Appreciate the position group analysis. The rest is hilarious arm-waving and condescension. Yeah, that loss at home to Akron is so indicative of our play as of late.

Northwestern fans will always "underestimate" BK's coaching ability after watching him fail at simple math on the football field and hand us a football game. He's stupid and will always be regarded as stupid.

Best of luck and may the game be injury free.
I'm sorry you feel that way. Was just trying to give my, admittedly biased, take on ND and the game on Saturday since I know information about the opponent always makes watching ND games more enjoyable for me.

I'm sorry you feel that way. Was just trying to give my, admittedly biased, take on ND and the game on Saturday since I know information about the opponent always makes watching ND games more enjoyable for me.

No apologies necessary. It's just a fan thing.

Well you got one part right

Nothing to lose for the Cats. If you beat us, it's expected because you're top four and we're just little ol' Northwestern. If you lose, you look like fools. And whatever the outcome, we still have a chance at a division championship. Good luck to you.

Bring it on. Like the attitude.
QB- Thorson is talented, still a bit limited in mobility cause of injury but has the arm strength and accuracy. And has tended to rise to the occasion in big moments. If he gets hurt there's a dropoff. But he's gotten us to a 5-1 conference record thus far and been clutch in big moments.

RB- Larkin was great to start the season, he's gone now. We were struggling at this position for a while. At one point we devolved to basically a pass-only attack with #1 Hanaoka a smaller walk-on as a pass protect and dump off guy. Now we've found #28 Bowser. who isn't the most nimble, but has good vision on the inside zone run, manages to find the crease, and is strong enough to run through some tackles and fall forward. He was big in the 2H against Rutgers and also vs an injury depleted Wisconsin front. We'll see how he does against ND's front. I think he's got a decent chance. We don't need a huge run offense to succeed with our offensive scheme, we just need something to provide balance and keep a D front from pinning their ears back every play.

WR- Nagel #2 has been great. Quick, catches balls, turns upfield. Not an NFL prospect but starting to draw attention on the field. #88 Skowronek is fast straight line, takes some time to get going, but is good in jump ball situations which we tend to use him for. Also has given up a few OPI penalties. Then we have an assortment of other decent WRs, not blinding talent, but good. Freshman #12 Jefferson is fast and potentially a deep threat.

TE- Green #84 is a solid blocker and a reliable pass catcher, mostly shorter routes.

Offense overall we like short passes, crossing routes. Teams in the conference have tended to learn to just play press man on the outside and stack the box against the run. Which usually works... until Clayton starts throwing strikes on the deep ball. We've struggled to find that at times in the past, but in the 2H against Nebraska and against MSU he managed to connect on a fair number of those throws. We'll see if he can do that against ND. If you play zone coverages, our WRs and scheme tends to be good at finding holes and moving the chains. We won't have too many highlight plays on offense, but when things are clicking we can start using pace and getting the defense on their heels. When it doesn't work, we can look disjointed and hopeless. We'll see which one it is on Saturday. Probably both at different times during the game.

DL- Pretty good. Not a bunch of flashy first round draft picks but a deep set of players that control gaps very well against the run. Joe Gaziano #97 is a stud. Not crazy fast, but strong and uses his hands very well. Sam Miller at the other DE is an excellent run stopper. And then a couple more DTs who are the same way. With very few exceptions, we've been able to contain opposing running games. If we are struggling to do so, Hank (our DC) will bring an 8th guy into the box and send a 5th guy in a run blitz. Our pass rush will be led by #97. But we bring in an assortment of other guys in pass situations - Earnest Brown and Trent Goens are both developing into solid contributors. We do struggle with containing mobile QBs some.

LB- Prob our strongest position group now that we got Nate Hall back. Guys that tackle fairly well, and position themselves well against the run. Also decent in pass coverage. Paddy Fisher and Blake Gallagher are big and pretty fast, reliable players. Nate Hall is more of the aggressive big playmaker. And Bergin was pretty solid in relief of Hall while he was injured, a bit undersized but didn't show in how he played.

CB- Montre Hartage #24 is shutdown. Big enough to deal with large WRs, quick enough to match up with #4 Moore on Purdue. Because of him we've played a lot more man or combo coverage packages vs mostly Cover 4 in the past. He roams around more and might follow your toughest matchup. #3 Trae Williams is solid, will probably play a bit softer in coverage, gives up more yards maybe but mostly a reliable tackler with some exceptions. If by chance we get #29 Newsome (true Fr) back from injury that would be a nice boost. If not we will roll with Trae and a couple other younger guys. I hope your OC follows the mistakes of other teams in continuing to target #24 because you think your #1 WR can beat him.

S- Jared McGee is a solid player, strong in run support, okay in pass coverage, tends to be in the right place though not overly fast / athletic. He's sort of a SS type. #12 JR Pace tends to fly around a little bit more, very fast and athletic, has made a couple mistakes, younger, but also more big plays. #7 Whillock is a guy that's fought through injuries but looks talented, getting into the game now especially in nickel packages.

If you guys beat us it's probably a succession of short passes to the wide parts of the field. And then you stress that part of the field enough, or else cause enough problems with us in the run game that A) safeties looking up and you beat us over the top, or B) we stretch inward and you beat us of the edges. Also, we struggle with jet sweeps and as mentioned above with QB contain. But overall, we have a pretty good D. As long as our offense isn't woeful and tires out our D but not being able to stay on the field, our D should do a solid job.

On offense it comes down to whether we can consistently move the ball and find some big plays. On defense it comes down to whether you can consistently move the ball and whether we can avoid giving up big plays. Should be fun. Go Cats.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT