ADVERTISEMENT

AD news!

pnt16

Gold Member
Dec 8, 2017

The ADs at Cal and WSU are among the candidates. Decision could come within the next 7-10 days.

Last edited:
My random thoughts, just for the sake of conversation...

I wonder how we keyed in on these two, who are at public west coast universities. I guess the market is small for ADs who run the show at elite private P5 universities. Then again, Phillips came from NIU (but had a nice run at Notre Dame).

I wonder what good and bad things Chun would bring from his many years at Ohio State.

Knowlton in his 60s...don't mean to sound ageist, but feels like we'd be in the market for another AD in <10 years.

I wonder who's really running this search - obviously Morty is on his way out...I trust that he has a vested interest in helping achieve a continuity of success, but also wonder if there are others in executive leadership who will influence this process more heavily. Does anyone have a pulse on current Northwestern University politics?

Chun was named Under Armour AD of the Year. Does anyone know if this considered prestigious?

With the palace on the Lake and Fitz in a long-term deal, I wonder what the biggest ticket items are on the docket right now. Ryan Field renos, or a Men's BB coaching search?

Will probably be years before we know if the eventual hire is any good.

The loss of Phillips and Morty just gives me a very uneasy feeling about the next 10 years. Cautious optimism is a best case scenario, but then I think back to Bienen and Murphy, and feeling they were as good as we could expect, and I've been happily proven wrong.

FYI...some quick Googling...

Desiree Reed-Francois...at UNLV since 2017, previously senior admin for Tennessee Men's Basketball, and senior admin for Virginia Tech football. Was also SWA at Cincy for a minute. Was a finalist for UCLA job but as best I can tell she "officially" withdrew when it became obvious they were going with someone else. UCLA undergrad, JD from Arizona.

Rick Hart...at SMU since 2012, was AD at UT-Chattanooga before that, and a variety of positions at Oklahoma before that. Attended UNC. On paper the least interesting candidate.

Joe Karlgaard...at Rice since 2013, was AD at Oberlin before that and AD for Development for Stanford before that. Graduated from Stanford.

I have to imagine the mention of Napo is mostly just talk...right?

Also...just curious, does anyone have a pulse on potentially undervalued ADs in the MAC? Just thinking of a guy like Phillips, who had stints at Notre Dame and Tennessee, was obviously a sleeper and ready for a P5 job.

Last edited:
Reactions: Catmosphere
At least based on very preliminary reading, Chun seems to be the ideal fit. Sounds very similar to Phillips: phenomenal fundraiser, emphasizes academics, winning AD of the year awards, fans of current school think extremely highly of him. I love Napo, but he has no experience with running athletic departments so doesn't make sense to me.

Rittenberg also mentions Anucha Browne as another candidate. She’d be an intriguing pick but the lack of college experience is a negative IMO.

Rittenberg also mentions Anucha Browne as another candidate. She’d be an intriguing pick but the lack of college experience is a negative IMO.
I suspect names like Harris and Browne get leaked to the media because they are juicy, but I can't imagine Northwestern hiring anyone with no experience in college athletic administration to the head position.

My random thoughts, just for the sake of conversation...

I wonder how we keyed in on these two, who are at public west coast universities. I guess the market is small for ADs who run the show at elite private P5 universities. Then again, Phillips came from NIU (but had a nice run at Notre Dame).

I wonder what good and bad things Chun would bring from his many years at Ohio State.

Knowlton in his 60s...don't mean to sound ageist, but feels like we'd be in the market for another AD in <10 years.

I wonder who's really running this search - obviously Morty is on his way out...I trust that he has a vested interest in helping achieve a continuity of success, but also wonder if there are others in executive leadership who will influence this process more heavily. Does anyone have a pulse on current Northwestern University politics?

Chun was named Under Armour AD of the Year. Does anyone know if this considered prestigious?

With the palace on the Lake and Fitz in a long-term deal, I wonder what the biggest ticket items are on the docket right now. Ryan Field renos, or a Men's BB coaching search?

Will probably be years before we know if the eventual hire is any good.

The loss of Phillips and Morty just gives me a very uneasy feeling about the next 10 years. Cautious optimism is a best case scenario, but then I think back to Bienen and Murphy, and feeling they were as good as we could expect, and I've been happily proven wrong.
Seems to me that NU's benefactor, Mr Ryan, would have a team researching every aspect of this decision. A million dollars would be peanuts in the cost of maintaining and protecting the future of the generous investments he has already made in NU athletics.
I don't think that there is any coincidence that Bienen and Murphy and Phillips and Morty were all excellent hires. In spite of Men's BB current struggles, I think all of our coaching hires have also been excellent; look at our graduation rates, Where are the scandals? This kind of leadership hasn't happened by accident.

At least based on very preliminary reading, Chun seems to be the ideal fit. Sounds very similar to Phillips: phenomenal fundraiser, emphasizes academics, winning AD of the year awards, fans of current school think extremely highly of him. I love Napo, but he has no experience with running athletic departments so doesn't make sense to me.

Agreed. He does seem to stand out above the rest in a number of categories and to over use an almost trite phrase, “Checks all the boxes” including arguably “ minority hire.”

Agree that Chun seems like a smart/safe hire, but I think Desiree Reed-Francois seems interesting as well (and so did UCLA to make her a finalist in their search) - person in charge of Tennessee basketball day to day for three years, and then did it for Virginia Tech football for three years...obviously I don't know the exact nature of her authority but that's impressive.

Buuuut Google confirms Chun isn't our guy...

Not Chun
From the link to the Seattle newspaper:

" it appears the Wildcats are planning to go in a different direction."

So all that in game TV advertising about "Going a Northwest[ern] Direction" is fake news? One would have to think that Washington State is about as Northwest as one could go, excluding Alaska .... and I can assure you that my name is not in the mix.

Seriously, let us hope that it is not Northwestern deciding to drop the best candidate because of politically correct pressures.

From the link to the Seattle newspaper:

So all that in game TV advertising about "Going a Northwest[ern] Direction" is fake news? One would have to think that Washington State is about as Northwest as one could go, excluding Alaska .... and I can assure you that my name is not in the mix.

Seriously, let us hope that it is not Northwestern deciding to drop the best candidate because of politically correct pressures.

What?

You are correct. Chris Reynolds is at Bradley.

The basketball program has been heading in the wrong direction for quite some time (even before Reynolds became AD). Bradley has a history of being a pretty solid basketball program. I had season tickets for about ten years when they had players like Jimmy Les and Hersey Hawkins. Back then, they were always in contention for the Missouri Valley title, but not so much lately.

The other sports programs (both men's and women's) at Bradley are, and have been, pretty solid. Their men's soccer and baseball teams are traditionally strong, as well as women's volleyball, and softball.

It's probably too soon to make an appraisal of Reynold's performance. Having said that, Bradley fans and alums were pretty excited when Reynolds was given the job. My personal impression is that he is a straight shooter, and has high character values, but don't know how that relates to success on the floor, diamond, and track. Since I'm not an alum and gave up my basketball season tickets quite a long time ago, I don't have any idea as to his fund raising skills. He seems very open, and likeable.

They had a major incident with the mens basketball team. It occurred while they were in Springfield Missouri, I believe two players have been cleared of crimminal wrong doing but one is still being investigated. All 3 were suspended for the last 3 weeks of the season. The two who were cleared have transferred. Reynolds certainly took the high road in suspending the players as Bradley was still in the hunt in the Valley.

I suspect names like Harris and Browne get leaked to the media because they are juicy, but I can't imagine Northwestern hiring anyone with no experience in college athletic administration to the head position.

EDIT: From the Trib - "Browne was vice president for women’s basketball championships for the NCAA from 2012 to 2017 after working as senior associate athletic director for marketing at the University of Buffalo and as senior vice president of marketing and business for the New York Knicks."

She has college athletic administration experience...just wanted to acknowledge. She's legit.

Napo still seems like a show pony in this process, though.

I don’t think NU would hire an AD from an FCS that doesn’t even have a football program. That’s a huge jump.
Ah, but he does have prior experience as a Deputy Director of Athletics at a small private school Power 5 member named Northwestern.

"Prior to Bradley, Reynolds served as Deputy Director of Athletics for Operations and Administration at Northwestern University and supervised all facets of planning, design and construction of athletic capital facilities projects, including the management and oversight of the $270-million Lakefront Athletics Complex, and was actively involved with the development staff in securing funding toward the completion of this project. Also, he oversaw the comprehensive renovation of the Rocky Miller Park Baseball Complex. In October of 2014, Reynolds managed to completion the $8.5 million renovation of the recreation facility, which is used for intramurals, club sports and the Northwestern student body. With particular emphasis on football and basketball, Reynolds hired and provided oversight for the first-ever staff member whose responsibility was to manage and enhance Northwestern Athletics’ Fan Experience."

Also Power 5 football schools like Notre Dame, Indiana, and Michigan State saw something in him. Maybe not so much of a huge jump after all.

None of this really matters as he just signed an extension to his contract at Bradley.

Too bad. I would take him in a heartbeat over the woman from UNLV.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Ah, but he does have prior experience as a Deputy Director of Athletics at a small private school Power 5 member named Northwestern.

"Prior to Bradley, Reynolds served as Deputy Director of Athletics for Operations and Administration at Northwestern University and supervised all facets of planning, design and construction of athletic capital facilities projects, including the management and oversight of the $270-million Lakefront Athletics Complex, and was actively involved with the development staff in securing funding toward the completion of this project. Also, he oversaw the comprehensive renovation of the Rocky Miller Park Baseball Complex. In October of 2014, Reynolds managed to completion the $8.5 million renovation of the recreation facility, which is used for intramurals, club sports and the Northwestern student body. With particular emphasis on football and basketball, Reynolds hired and provided oversight for the first-ever staff member whose responsibility was to manage and enhance Northwestern Athletics’ Fan Experience."

Also Power 5 football schools like Notre Dame, Indiana, and Michigan State saw something in him. Maybe not so much of a huge jump after all.

None of this really matters as he just signed an extension to his contract at Bradley.

Too bad. I would take him in a heartbeat over the woman from UNLV.

In a heartbeat, huh? How much do you know about the woman from UNLV? Or any other candidate for that matter? Quite a slap towards our search committee to make such a comment.

Reactions: No Chores
Well, looks like UCLA doesn't want her either.

"According to another source, Reed-Francois pulled her name out of consideration when she learned that UCLA was leaning in a different direction (Boston College AD Martin Jarmond is now the leading contender, per reports)."

Perhaps you might want to take the time to compare her record at UNLV to Reynolds at Bradley. Here, I'll give you a hand:

Chris Reynolds

Desiree-Reed-Francois

I repeat, in a heartbeat!

"According to another source, Reed-Francois pulled her name out of consideration when she learned that UCLA was leaning in a different direction (Boston College AD Martin Jarmond is now the leading contender, per reports)."

Perhaps you might want to take the time to compare her record at UNLV to Reynolds at Bradley. Here, I'll give you a hand:

Chris Reynolds

Desiree-Reed-Francois

That tweet is a year old, my man.

Right you are, my oversight. But doesn't change the fact that UCLA didn't want her then.

Chris Reynolds

Desiree-Reed-Francois

Sorry, not seeing it. Her resume is very impressive. She’s worked her way up the ladder at numerous programs. Had an impressive tenure at VaTech. Reynolds might also be a worthy candidate, but Reed-Francois is just as worthy , or maybe even more so. Me thinks your purple glasses might be clouding your judgement a bit.

RE: Chun:

RE: Reed-Francois
"UCLA was leaning in a different direction..."

OK, you HR people, what does this "going in a different direction" stuff really mean?

RE: Chun:

RE: Reed-Francois
"UCLA was leaning in a different direction..."

OK, you HR people, what does this "going in a different direction" stuff really mean?

“Someone else is getting the job, so I’m removing my name from consideration to save face.”

No, that's what I would call a fact.

If UCLA wanted her, they would have hired her. After all, she's an alum.

Have you compared her accomplishments to Reynolds yet?

You seem awfully angry that she's being considered. How come? I'm a Chris Reynolds fan from his time on the basketball court playing with Calbert Cheaney, but I don't see a huge gap between him and Reed-Francois. Both are impressive people with different strengths.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT