ADVERTISEMENT

Adam Cushing to take HC job at EIU

Well, that's one way to see if we can't create some positive change.

Happy for Cushing. It's good for the program to have guys move up in the ranks. He's served here a long time but it's also an opportunity to make something of the position group that's had the hardest go here for a while.

Well, that's one way to see if we can't create some positive change.

Happy for Cushing. It's good for the program to have guys move up in the ranks. He's served here a long time but it's also an opportunity to make something of the position group that's had the hardest go here for a while.

we will see how many NU staff he takes with him

Good luck to Cush. One sign of a strong program is assistant coaches moving on to become HC’s at quality programs. Eastern Illinois has a great tradition, will be cheering for Cush’s success.

Good luck Cush, and goodbye!

Wonder if Fitz will just hire Anderson as his full-time OL coach, give Heffner a shot, or look external.

we will see how many NU staff he takes with him
Very few, if any - unless they’re a position coach getting promoted to a coordinator role. EIU is in a rough spot and there’s no guarantee of a role there leading to anything.

Good luck Cush, and goodbye!

Wonder if Fitz will just hire Anderson as his full-time OL coach, give Heffner a shot, or look external.

Very few, if any - unless they’re a position coach getting promoted to a coordinator role. EIU is in a rough spot and there’s no guarantee of a role there leading to anything.

i’d put money on Anderson getting promoted to OL coach. I bet he has had a lot of input on the OL offers that were made for the 2020 class. His presence always has seemed just too convenient in my view.

Reactions: nu greek and DaCat
i’d put money on Anderson getting promoted to OL coach. I bet he has had a lot of input on the OL offers that were made for the 2020 class. His presence always has seemed just too convenient in my view.
Sounds great to me. Although he played for Michigan, his father was a NU Wildcat. He should be a great fit.

Best of luck to Cush! He’s been the whipping boy around here for the last few years, like Jerry Brown before him. But he was always gracious with his time with me, and his players were loyal to him. He was also an outstanding recruiter. He’s a great guy and will be missed in Evanston.
He was a great recruiter for NU... but didn’t one of his former starters go on the Rock and repeatedly blast him? How come no players or players’ parents came on this forum to defend him if they were so loyal?

With all due respect, Cush is no Jerry Brown...

He was a great recruiter for NU... but didn’t one of his former starters go on the Rock and repeatedly blast him? How come no players or players’ parents came on this forum to defend him if they were so loyal?

It's done. Let's move on and drop this discussion now, especially on the free board.

Perhaps because they have class, and don't want to come on here and get into the fray. I personally know of at least one lineman and his family who have very high regard for Coach Cushing. Not going to say more.

It's done. Let's move on and drop this discussion now, especially on the free board.
Well if I can’t use my own words on this forum, I may as well use Whoopee’s:

ezgif.com-optimize%20%284%29_0.gif

giphy.gif

Reactions: catfans5
Perhaps because they have class, and don't want to come on here and get into the fray. I personally know of at least one lineman and his family who have very high regard for Coach Cushing. Not going to say more.
I’ll share more on the Rock if that’s what will keep the peace on here. Good luck to Cushing, I mean it, but this is the best case scenario for all involved.

Wow, I guess they don't read all the posts on here. Congrats to him, and about all those posters who claim Fitz staff stability is because nobody ever wants to hire NU assistants....hmm, that's two years in a row...hmmm
Eastern Michigan doesn't count. And neither do Div 3 schools (Colby) or High School teams. That said, this is exciting news and I wish him the best with the Mustangs.

Seem like a no brainer. Kurt is solid and coached in the NFL under Ryan and has solid Big10 roots.

Reactions: corbi296
Clueless about what? I'm legitimately excited. Are you sad that he is leaving? I doubt it affects our recruiting so this benefits everyone.

Bates left last year for the DC gig at Pitt, a clear upgrade over LB at NU. Johns left for a co-OC gig at IU. Your point has no merit.

And EIU is the Panthers.

My guess is he looks to take some of our recent GAs who may want to make coaching a career. Maybe a guy like Deonte Gibson. Also could look to some former players who are coaching elsewhere. Maybe a guy like Austin King as OC.

I'm happy for him. This is exactly what we should want to happen here at Northwestern.

It's nice to see Fitz's coaching tree growing as guys get promotions elsewhere; if we're as successful as we want this program to be, coaches will be leaving the program more often to be promoted elsewhere.

And I have no doubt guys like Ayeni and McGarigle will leave eventually too. Those are the types of guys you envision someday heading programs of their own.

Whenever a coach leaves to pursue a promotion that we can't offer or don't have space for, that's always a good thing. We should want our coaches to be coveted like this.

I'm happy for him. This is exactly what we should want to happen here at Northwestern.

It's nice to see Fitz's coaching tree growing as guys get promotions elsewhere; if we're as successful as we want this program to be, coaches will be leaving the program more often to be promoted elsewhere.

And I have no doubt guys like Ayeni and McGarigle will leave eventually too. Those are the types of guys you envision someday heading programs of their own.

Whenever a coach leaves to pursue a promotion that we can't offer or don't have space for, that's always a good thing. We should want our coaches to be coveted like this.

I doubt either McGarigle or Ayeni leave of their own volition any time soon.

My guess is he looks to take some of our recent GAs who may want to make coaching a career. Maybe a guy like Deonte Gibson. Also could look to some former players who are coaching elsewhere. Maybe a guy like Austin King as OC.

Deonte Gibson already Following Eastern Illinois Athletics on his Twitter page.

Reactions: epicbret
I will take this opportunity to point out that Bret Ingalls...OL coach before Cushing until he left to go coach the O-line with the Saints and picked up a Super Bowl ring in the process...is currently an analyst at Vandy...if Fitz wants to make a boring, no-effort hire...for the love of god grab him out of Nashville right now...

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
I will take this opportunity to point out that Bret Ingalls...OL coach before Cushing until he left to go coach the O-line with the Saints and picked up a Super Bowl ring in the process...is currently an analyst at Vandy...if Fitz wants to make a boring, no-effort hire...for the love of god grab him out of Nashville right now...

I think Anderson is the better fit for where the program is right now.

Interesting. I agree with Corbi that Anderson seems like the leading candidate at this point, but no one really knows at this point except Fitz and his inner circle.

I think Anderson is the better fit for where the program is right now.

Honestly, I have no qualms if Anderson is the guy...more than anything, as a fan I want someone who can recruit and develop top-shelf linemen against others in a league that has a reputation for it.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Interesting. I agree with Corbi that Anderson seems like the leading candidate at this point, but no one really knows at this point except Fitz and his inner circle.

Ingalls sounds great. However, it's so clear that this was planned departure. Kurt Anderson is conveniently available after a year in a QA role? Should have trusted Fitz the whole time. He gets to be loyal, yet he gets it done. Mea Culpa.

ADVERTISEMENT