ADVERTISEMENT

Adam Cushing to take HC job at EIU

Anderson is the guy, no doubt. But hopefully they back fill the position with at least someone who actually played the position, if they bypass Anderson.

Bates left last year for the DC gig at Pitt, a clear upgrade over LB at NU. Johns left for a co-OC gig at IU. Your point has no merit.

And EIU is the Panthers.
Please forgive him. When you map out the US on a flat plane Eastern Michigan and Eastern Illinois are basically the same thing. Luckily, they're also far away from the edge of the Earth, a place Turk seems to be approaching rather rapidly.

I doubt either McGarigle or Ayeni leave of their own volition any time soon.
Yeah I didn't mean that in any sudden sort of fashion; they'll have space for promotions here over time.

I just envision those guys heading programs of their own in 8-10 years or at least at the OC/DC level.

But who knows where this sport is going, these days we're seeing guys earning $1 million+ as OC/DC, so there might be less in terms of guys feeling they have to take the jump to HC when they get to the 7 figure bracket.

At least that may explain partially why there's so many retreads this year among new HCs.

oops, I thought they were the Mustangs. I stand corrected.
Dont worry, most college football fans have no idea there is such a team, let alone its mascot. Let GCG play it up like Eastern illinois is the cradle of coaches and just leave it alone. Im certain that NU didnt try to bid higher to keep him.

Last edited:
Dont worry, most college football fans have no idea there is such a team, let alone its mascot. Let GCG play it up like Eastern Michigan is the cradle of coaches and just leave it alone. Im certain that NU didnt try to bid higher to keep him.
I have a feeling most Dallas Cowboys fans are aware of such a team.

Reactions: kreggk
I have a feeling most Dallas Cowboys fans are aware of such a team.
Absolutely! Romo was a stud. Unlike NFL fans who may have heard that Romo was from there, college fans havent heard of the place except gateway conference peeps. Great gig for Cushing. Hopefully Cushing does well as he moves in his journey

Last edited:
Reactions: Pasadena Bound
Lets get this back on topic. Imo this significantly helps our recruiting and I wouldnt be surprised if Anderson reels in another big OL by February.

Dont worry, most college football fans have no idea there is such a team, let alone its mascot. Let GCG play it up like Eastern Michigan is the cradle of coaches and just leave it alone. Im certain that NU didnt try to bid higher to keep him.
Uh, WIckerturk, Eastern Illinois regularly plays FBS programs, including us in 2015. So most college football fans who actually follow the game instead of trolling message boards incessantly know precisely who they are...

Agreed. Cushing coached the one unit which I feel has underachieved the most. We won the west this year but to have sustained success we need better O- line play. The players we recruited mostly had several P5 offers and yet average to poor line play. I’m glad Cushing got a promotion but this is a needed change. Hopefully it works for all involved

Why? Romo was Eastern Illinois? Another player?
Congrats-- you got our first question right on "Are you Smarter at Footbal than a 5th Grader?" !But since little Timmy also responded correctly, we'll move on to pur next question-- what CURRENT NFL quarterback is ALSO a graduate of Eastern Illinois?

Reactions: Bwm57
Good luck Cush, and goodbye!

Wonder if Fitz will just hire Anderson as his full-time OL coach, give Heffner a shot, or look external.

Very few, if any - unless they’re a position coach getting promoted to a coordinator role. EIU is in a rough spot and there’s no guarantee of a role there leading to anything.
Good luck to Coach Cushing . Who’s “Anderson”?

Dino Babers was the previous HC at Eastern Illinois before Dameron who Cushing is going to replace.

It's obviously a spot where you can move up from, so it's a great job for Cushing to get. If Cushing does a good job there, he'll have MAC schools come calling on him. Best of luck to him.

Like others have said, congratulations and best of luck to Coach Cushing. His skills as a recruiter and years of watching firsthand as Fitz went from an ultra-young coach to one of the most-respected in the nation should serve him well in that role.

It also provides NU the opportunity for a fresh start at its most inconsistent position group. The chance to get even better and not get complacent after the program’s first West Division title.

Reactions: Pasadena Bound
Lets get this back on topic. Imo this significantly helps our recruiting and I wouldnt be surprised if Anderson reels in another big OL by February.
Everyone except Mike Webb and GCG understand this basic improvement. We lost nothing with this opening, we gained. Period. End of story. Mikewebb and GCG want to continue Fitz' narrative and be the Fitz social media positivists by planting a narrative that concludes that Cushing was a sought after coach from MAJOR programs then that begs the question, i.e., why didn't NU move to keep Cushing? I mean, NU could definitely match or exceed EMU Bobcats or whoever they are. Like I said, I appreciate Cushing's recruiting coordinator work a few years ago, especially in the State of Ohio, but our OL recruiting was awful with the exception of this year which has seen a small uptick but that's because of Anderson.

Once again, Wickerpark, you are spot on and most reasonable fans don't buy Webb's narrative that Cushing was a hotly sought after coach.

EMU and Cushing +1
Webb -1

Everyone except Mike Webb and GCG understand this basic improvement. We lost nothing with this opening, we gained. Period. End of story. I Mikewebb and GCG want to act like Cushing was a sought after coach from MAJOR programs then that begs the question, i.e., why didn't NU move to keep Cushing? I mean, NU could definitely match or exceed EMU Bobcats or whoever they are. Like I said, I appreciate Cushing's recruiting coordinator work a few years ago, especially in the State of Ohio, but our OL recruiting was awful with the exception of this year which has seen a small uptick but that's because of Anderson.

Once again, Wickerpark, you are spot on and most reasonable fans don't buy Webb's narrative that Cushing was a hotly sought after coach.

EMU +1
Webb -1
It would be horrible to sit next to you on a long flight.

Everyone except Mike Webb and GCG understand this basic improvement. We lost nothing with this opening, we gained. Period. End of story. Mikewebb and GCG want to continue Fitz' narrative and be the Fitz social media positivists by planting a narrative that concludes that Cushing was a sought after coach from MAJOR programs then that begs the question, i.e., why didn't NU move to keep Cushing? I mean, NU could definitely match or exceed EMU Bobcats or whoever they are. Like I said, I appreciate Cushing's recruiting coordinator work a few years ago, especially in the State of Ohio, but our OL recruiting was awful with the exception of this year which has seen a small uptick but that's because of Anderson.

EMU and Cushing +1
Webb -1
Uh, can you even read posts?

Wickerturk: most college fans don't know Eastern Illinois has a team
Me: uh, we played them WIckerdolt.
Other poster: of coirse we do, Wickerdummy. Tony Romo went there
Me: and Jimmy Garoppolo...
Turk:: bizarre rant about my "Fitz narrative" on Cushing , whatever in the world that is, despite my not mentioning Cushing or anything close to Cushing, in any of my posts ITT.
Me: ???????

Last edited:

EMU and Cushing +1
Webb -1

It's sad that some people consistently take the low road. Come onnnn, man!

I love it and I agree!
Now that is the most intelligent thing you have said during this thread.

+1

Go Cats!
They go low and you go high. Thats what I like about you, Turk. When others go personal, you laugh it off. besides the fact that you are also right. Cushing is a kind man and I wish him well in his departure.

Go Cats!

I know nothing about coaching and less about OL prep and technique. So I cannot say whether we had bad coaching...although I do love to complain about it

I can say, however, that with all of the complaining here in the last few seasons, I sort of expected someone to link "Ding dong the witch is dead"

Reactions: Mr Wickerpark

EMU and Cushing +1
Webb -1

It is possible to show some class and respect for a major contributor to the NU program as he moves on towards a great opportunity for himself. That is the point here.

Thanks Coach, and Good Luck!

They go low and you go high. Thats what I like about you, Turk. When others go personal, you laugh it off. besides the fact that you are also right. Cushing is a kind man and I wish him well in his departure.

Go Cats!
Gollum: "Shhh! Quiet! Mustn't wake them! Mustn't ruin it now!"

Sméagol: "But they knows! They knows! They suspects us!"

[Sméagol and Gollum, the latter shown in a pool's reflection, converse.]

Gollum: "What's it saying, my precious, my love? Is Sméagol losing his nerve?"

Eastern Michigan doesn't count. And neither do Div 3 schools (Colby) or High School teams. That said, this is exciting news and I wish him the best with the Mustangs.
He went from a position coach to a HC. Good move for him. Great opportunity for him

I doubt either McGarigle or Ayeni leave of their own volition any time soon.
He did say eventually. I mean Jerry Brown moved on, eventually. If they are good enough and there is no place for them to upgrade here, them moving on might be the only option. Probably 5 years down the road or so. One thing for sure. More new coaches hired here in the last two years than the previous 10

ADVERTISEMENT