ADVERTISEMENT

Adding Varsity Sport

NU should add LAX and drop wrestling.
Got to be kidding! NU has a long and distinguished history in wrestling. We've had a number of national champions and some Oiympians. Ken Kraft remains a legend, and NU hosts one of the most prestigious
tournaments in the nation. the Midlands, in December.

Got to be kidding! NU has a long and distinguished history in wrestling. We've had a number of national champions and some Oiympians. Ken Kraft remains a legend, and NU hosts one of the most prestigious
tournaments in the nation. the Midlands, in December.
I'm not kidding. Yes, NU has had success and some All Americans. But in the last 30 years, they have finished in the top half of the Big 10 Tournament exactly twice.

Wrestling is a niche sport. LAX is exploding in popularity (at the expense of football). A Men's LAX team would capitalize on the state of the art facilities of the Walter/Ryan lakefront complex, while wrestling is buried in Anderson Hall off campus. Makes much more sense to me to have an exciting sport played in the Olympic sports complex on the lake, which should offer huge recruiting advantages for the Cats.

I'm not kidding. Yes, NU has had success and some All Americans. But in the last 30 years, they have finished in the top half of the Big 10 Tournament exactly twice.

Wrestling is a niche sport. LAX is exploding in popularity (at the expense of football). A Men's LAX team would capitalize on the state of the art facilities of the Walter/Ryan lakefront complex, while wrestling is buried in Anderson Hall off campus. Makes much more sense to me to have an exciting sport played in the Olympic sports complex on the lake, which should offer huge recruiting advantages for the Cats.
I'd love to see a men's LAX team, but not at the expense of wrestling. Maybe baseball should go. They've never been any good. Has men's baseball ever had a winning record?

I'd love to see a men's LAX team, but not at the expense of wrestling. Maybe baseball should go. They've never been any good. Has men's baseball ever had a winning record?
I agree with you. Either baseball or wrestling should go. The other men's sports (Soccer, Golf, Tennis, Swimming) are keepers on the basis of demographics and ability for NU to compete.

Disagree on the baseball comments, give the new coach a chance. Saw major progress last year.

Nothing wrong with the idea of adding men's LAX but hate to see wrestling lost to accomplish it.

Jason Tsirtsis just won a national championship for the 'Cats in 2014! (Then left the school.)

I agree with you. Either baseball or wrestling should go. The other men's sports (Soccer, Golf, Tennis, Swimming) are keepers on the basis of demographics and ability for NU to compete.
The problem with many of the non revenue sports is that we do not even use the full number of scholarships allowed.

The reason is generally we have not even used the number of scholarships allowed. Makes it tough to end up in top half but we can fair better at national level where quality means more than quantity. We have the same problem with swimming and baseball. Lax would likely have similar issues as even cancelling wrestling would not free up enough scholarships to be able to compete.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT