ADVERTISEMENT

Aidan Atkinson not guilty verdicts

Jury Deliberated for 1 day. Must have been clear cut. Being falsely accused of something must be a nightmare.
Having been in that situation, I can tell you it impacts you for a long time. In my case no where near what he likely went through. I was charged with DUI when blood tests etc said my level was 0.02 (limit at the time was 0.1 ) and I had nothing else in my system. Charges were still not dropped. It was a dirty cop that had done this to others and eventually got kicked off the force. But the mere fact that I had to go through that affected me for a long time and even to this day, I can easily be reminded of what I had to go through

Jury Deliberated for 1 day. Must have been clear cut. Being falsely accused of something must be a nightmare.
I think that’s a bit of a stretch. It was clear cut that, on the charges on which he was cleared (which was not all charges and there’s a separate trial on a second event coming up), the prosecution did not meet its burden of proof beyond a reasonable doubt. Anything other than that is speculation.

I think that’s a bit of a stretch. It was clear cut that, on the charges on which he was cleared (which was not all charges and there’s a separate trial on a second event coming up), the prosecution did not meet its burden of proof beyond a reasonable doubt. Anything other than that is speculation.
https://www.dailycamera.com/2021/04...fense-as-evidence-portion-of-trial-concludes/

As for the other named victim, Baker referred to videos of the girl kissing Atkinson and “grinding” on him and giving him a “lap dance.”

“Is she unable to appraise the situation?” Baker said. “She’s engaged in the act.”

But in the final statements, Boulder Deputy District Attorney Michael Petrash urged the jurors to be wary of the snippets of video provided by the defense.
At least a few of the details have come out. What type of person engages in "grinding" and gives a "lap dance" and then turns around and accuses the man of assault? It sounds like there was some "Mean Girls" stuff going on and it snowballed (but that is definitely speculation).

That doesn't excuse Aidan for being in this situation. It doesn't sound like he was exactly objecting. Minors should not be renting party buses where they drink and give lap dances and the parents who allowed and enabled this should be ashamed.

And yes, there's another court date for another incident and we don't know much about that.

Yeah, that’s the problem with these types of accusations. Leaving aside the pending charges, people will still view him as a sexual assaulter. He can never prove he didn’t do it.

https://www.dailycamera.com/2021/04...fense-as-evidence-portion-of-trial-concludes/

At least a few of the details have come out. What type of person engages in "grinding" and gives a "lap dance" and then turns around and accuses the man of assault? It sounds like there was some "Mean Girls" stuff going on and it snowballed (but that is definitely speculation).

That doesn't excuse Aidan for being in this situation. It doesn't sound like he was exactly objecting. Minors should not be renting party buses where they drink and give lap dances and the parents who allowed and enabled this should be ashamed.

And yes, there's another court date for another incident and we don't know much about that.
I’m not going to get into a morality play here, but suffice it to say that those actions are not consent for penetration, which is what the case was based on.

Reactions: NUCat320

"What type of person?" One that decides things have gone too far and decided to slow down/back off, only for the other person to keep going. The whole consent situation. "Not guilty" doesn't necessarily mean lines were not crossed.

No matter the result of the other legal proceeding, hopefully Atkinson can learn from the experience and improve as a person rather than spiral the other direction.

I'm still not sad that he did not end up at NU despite the not guilty verdicts on the first case.

Relative to the party bus part, kids have been renting limousines since proms were invented. Basic idea is to keep them from behind the wheel of a car which is a very good thing. Parents aren't so nieve as to think there will not be at least some booze but at least for most, the kids don't leave home with a full cooler. Limo drivers are the key I suspect and whether there are strict, enforced limo, school and local rules against underage drinking. As far as lap dances, etc, the likelihood of that is determined far in advance of a prom night.

Do any of us really think he didn't consent to those actions?

That wasn't your original question. Stop moving the goalposts willy. And you know what, he might have been incredibly uncomfortable and was in a very awkward position where he was embarrassed to push her away. There are many different scenarios here and it's wrong to speculate or make any assumptions.

Reactions: hdhntr1 and PaCat
That wasn't your original question. Stop moving the goalposts willy. And you know what, he might have been incredibly uncomfortable and was in a very awkward position where he was embarrassed to push her away. There are many different scenarios here and it's wrong to speculate or make any assumptions.
I wouldn’t bother engaging with him.

I wouldn’t bother engaging with him.
I did a quick check of the news stories on the trial. His lawyers did not claim anything was against his will. He clearly was acting voluntarily. The defense was just that he didn't penetrate the girls. It is, as some have indicated, a case of his word against theirs. I hope we can all agree, though, that a lap dance on a party bus does not mean consent to penetration.

You are talking about the Rant moving over to the Sports Board by others and you are smack dab in the middle of making that a reality.
I can go away. That still leaves the others. I have not made a single remotely political post on the football board or the Rock. To my knowledge.

This is probably true. However, you have made posts that have nothing to do with NU sports or NU for that matter. That keeps the sparks going.
I graduated from NU. I love Fitz and what he has done for NU and NU football, of which I have been a fan since 1961 (except the dark ages). There, now does that qualify me to write whatever I want that's relevant to the topic of this thread, which is hardly uncontroversial. SPARKS! SPARKS!

Last edited:
I have 100% no idea what happened on this bus, just like anyone/everyone here posting. I can only hope that justice was served and move on to worrying about any number of other things.

Given how acutely aware we have all become about sexual assault, misconduct, #metoo, etc. over the past few years, I dearly hope that parents are beginning to have more courageous and uncomfortable conversations with their sons and daughters about situations either gender can find themselves in. This is way beyond the sitcom birds-and-bees stuff of yesteryear. In Aidan's case, having it to do all over again I wonder if his parents would go beyond, "keep working hard and getting good grades and then you can get a scholarship," and that blissfully ignorant mindset of "he's a good kid, he'll make good decisions." Are you SO certain that she's SO into you that you'll bet your entire college career on it? Insert crass remark about big head/little head here. Not saying kids can't have their fun, but the scrutiny is higher than it's ever been (and that's not necessarily a bad thing).

Which makes what you previously said absolutely wrong.
But you don't know if it's wrong because you weren't there and don't know what was in the minds of the participants. Neither do I. However, are you presuming a different standard for the girl than for the guy?

The correct answer would be, "yes". However the mods are the arbiter. Things are going to heat up on the free boards. I will be the least of their worries. For example, the season ticket thread. Seriously, what's controversial about season tickets, still, fights break out.

The correct answer would be, "yes". However the mods are the arbiter. Things are going to heat up on the free boards. I will be the least of their worries. For example, the season ticket thread. Seriously, what's controversial about season tickets, still, fights break out.
Yes, can’t wait for you gleefully telling us all about your I told you so!

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
ADVERTISEMENT