ADVERTISEMENT

Alex Smith

docrugby1

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2010
Did anyone see the ESPN special on Alex Smith, his injury , complications and prolonged treatment ? A very sobering story about how dangerous contact sports are. Alex came across as a great guy despite having faced death or amputation as the result of that injury.

As an orthopedist, I sympathize with his surgeon as well . In an attempt to help someone, a life and limb threatening complication arose. These situations eat away at a doctors soul. The self doubt, guilt and stress can be all consuming . All these things contribute to "doctor's burn out"

I doubt Alex will or should play football again. Watching him rehabilitate, now 18 months, after the injury should serve as inspiration to anyone facing such a devastating injury. It was also good to see the attitudes of the maimed veterans that encouraged him to persevere during his visits to military rehab centers in San Antonio and Walter Reed MC in D.C.

The film shows some graphic photos of his injury, the surgeries and complications. The film may not be suited to the faint of heart but was well done in all respects

Did anyone see the ESPN special on Alex Smith, his injury , complications and prolonged treatment ? A very sobering story about how dangerous contact sports are. Alex came across as a great guy despite having faced death or amputation as the result of that injury.

As an orthopedist, I sympathize with his surgeon as well . In an attempt to help someone, a life and limb threatening complication arose. These situations eat away at a doctors soul. The self doubt, guilt and stress can be all consuming . All these things contribute to "doctor's burn out"

I doubt Alex will or should play football again. Watching him rehabilitate, now 18 months, after the injury should serve as inspiration to anyone facing such a devastating injury. It was also good to see the attitudes of the maimed veterans that encouraged him to persevere during his visits to military rehab centers in San Antonio and Walter Reed MC in D.C.

The film shows some graphic photos of his injury, the surgeries and complications. The film may not be suited to the faint of heart but was well done in all respects
I didn’t see the special but just read the article, link below. Absolutely brutal injury and infection, but at least he’s recovering. I hope he can walk / play with his kids again.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29112995/alex-smith-comeback-fight-save-qb-leg-life

Reactions: Alaskawildkat

I watched it. They did a great job of showing all sides of the story.

As a litigation attorney I still ruminate about the cases I lost. It’s our nature Doc.

GOUNUII

I watched it. They did a great job of showing all sides of the story.

As a litigation attorney I still ruminate about the cases I lost. It’s our nature Doc.

GOUNUII
As a couch potato and rabid haiki master, I found it painful to watch too!

IIRC, you posted very early...within a day or two...that the info coming out was possibly dire news.

The few first few paragraphs of his wife recounting what occurred in the hospital from her perspective was pretty bad.

I hope for his sake he chooses not to play.

ADVERTISEMENT