ADVERTISEMENT

Also, per Teddy on Twitter this morning...

Jonny2TheP

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2007
Des Moines, IA
NU's first opponent at the new Welsh-Ryan will be a D2 school (exhibition), but the second game will be against a "big-time" opponent. Also, 26 of 31 games will be against high majors.

Buckle up.

NU's first opponent at the new Welsh-Ryan will be a D2 school (exhibition), but the second game will be against a "big-time" opponent. Also, 26 of 31 games will be against high majors.

Buckle up.

I’m guessing the “second game” part means the 2nd game of the regular season. Would be odd to refer to the exhibition game as the home opener.

I’m guessing the “second game” part means the 2nd game of the regular season. Would be odd to refer to the exhibition game as the home opener.

That's how I read his tweet too (that the first non-exhibition would be the "big time" opponent), but obviously not 100% sure as I'm only seeing the same thing you are.

I'm thinking that he's referring to the 1st game or glorified scrimmage vs. another school., like Wheaton. The first actual "Game" will be against a top line opponent, maybe Marquette or Butler.

I'm thinking that he's referring to the 1st game or glorified scrimmage vs. another school., like Wheaton. The first actual "Game" will be against a top line opponent, maybe Marquette or Butler.

Oklahoma and DePaul are coming at some point.

it's commonly known, although not in print, that Duke is the opponent, I believe this was already discussed a month ago??

I think it was said that DePaul would not be the opening game. Oklahoma sounds interesting.
Oklahoma isn't the one. Duke. While Duke is common knowledge, it was interesting that it was noted that other decent programs would be coming.

With a huge investment by fans in the lower bowl, a good schedule will keep them coming back for the next year after with hefty donations. I suspected that the program would shoot for the stars, as opposed to playing Brown, Mississippi Valley, Robert Morris and other Bill Carmody specials.

At $6,500 donation, I'm glad that the program is going bigtime. The Wins/Losses isn't as important but wins will come if the competition gets better.

Go Cats!

Oklahoma isn't the one. Duke. While Duke is common knowledge, it was interesting that it was noted that other decent programs would be coming.

With a huge investment by fans in the lower bowl, a good schedule will keep them coming back for the next year after with hefty donations. I suspected that the program would shoot for the stars, as opposed to playing Brown, Mississippi Valley, Robert Morris and other Bill Carmody specials.

At $6,500 donation, I'm glad that the program is going bigtime. The Wins/Losses isn't as important but wins will come if the competition gets better.

Go Cats!

As commonly known as the "fake by the lake?"

Go Cats!

I know nothing, but I’ll believe it’s Duke when I see it. Coach K really tries to avoid playing his former assistants. Not saying it’s impossible, but it would surprise me.

Also, I’m all about playing a tougher schedule (the NCAA committee puts more weight on that than ever), but I’m not sure if getting crushed by a Duke team bringing in one of the best recruiting classes in recent memory is a great way to open the new arena...

Go Cats!

Thank god those schedules are a thing of the past.

Now CC169 can let us battle sacred heart (321), Chicago St (335), Brown (301, where have I heard of that school lately... oh yeah, Turks post,), Loyola MD (322), and St Peters (251)...... etc.

I think Sec 112 put it best - we only play the big boys now!

In fact it was CCs annual cupcake schedule that kept us out of the NIT a few years back. Maybe he hashes it out with Fitz each summer?

Woops.

Now CC169 can let us battle sacred heart (321), Chicago St (335), Brown (301, where have I heard of that school lately... oh yeah, Turks post,), Loyola MD (322), and St Peters (251)...... etc.

In fact it was CCs annual cupcake schedule that kept us out of the NIT a few years back. Maybe he hashes it out with Fitz each summer?

Woops.

What's the benefit to the board of having this poster continually derail threads and trash the coach/team? There are some posters that are more negative than others here, and that's fine, because it keeps the discussion balanced. But this is purely a troll account. Why are some accounts banned/suspended and this one left active?

And for the record, I think we should play Duke if we have a shot. I'd love to see our guys play against some of these NBA-lottery level recruits, win or lose. It'll be entertaining, which in theory is what this whole sports thing is all about. Plus it's only one game.

What's the benefit to the board of having this poster continually derail threads and trash the coach/team? There are some posters that are more negative than others here, and that's fine, because it keeps the discussion balanced. But this is purely a troll account. Why are some accounts banned/suspended and this one left active?

And for the record, I think we should play Duke if we have a shot. I'd love to see our guys play against some of these NBA-lottery level recruits, win or lose. It'll be entertaining, which in theory is what this whole sports thing is all about. Plus it's only one game.

It’s not detailing the thread it’s building on it and pointing out the inanity and hypocrisy and obliviousness of it. The guy actually cited an opponent to differentiate BCs schedule from CC169’s by naming a team WE PLAYED LAST YEAR!!

Yikes!

That’s not trashing the coaches; it’s just pointing out that in their careers, it’s pretty much an understatement to say they prefer cupcakes to challenges wherever possible.

It’s not detailing the thread it’s building on it and pointing out the inanity and hypocrisy and obliviousness of it. The guy actually cited an opponent to differentiate BCs schedule from CC169’s by naming a team WE PLAYED LAST YEAR!!

Yikes!

That’s not trashing the coaches; it’s just pointing out that in their careers, it’s pretty much an understatement to say they prefer cupcakes to challenges wherever possible.
As an isolated post, that may be true. The problem is that every single one of your posts do that. It grows tiring after a while. You are not really trying to be a productive member of this community. You are just shitting on everything.

When I do that, at least its in the context of an emotional game where I am not rational and probably should be restrained. Whereas for you, it seems to be your default state on this board. But you know all this, so I'm not sure why I am even responding.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat

Yikes!

Quit wasting our time and go and hug Billy C. BTW, has the holy cross released their schedule yet? bet it's vs. all Power 5 programs, right?

He's off his meds and on the run. This happens every so often. Eventually the security guards will catch him, the nurses will confiscate his phone, and his doc will sedate him. Might take a while, though. I hear he's quite quick in his night gown and Depends Slim Profile adult diapers.

He's off his meds and on the run. This happens every so often. Eventually the security guards will catch him, the nurses will confiscate his phone, and his doc will sedate him. Might take a while, though. I hear he's quite quick in his night gown and Depends Slim Profile adult diapers.
Nurse Ratched has been summoned to deal with this interloper.

Yikes!

I think that CC had a decent schedule put together last year. And with the increased sacrifice from fans, it is refreshing to see that CC and Phillips have decided to move this program into the "Big School" league by scheduling "Top" Teams this year. Duke won't be the only one. IMO, they have to do this if they want to sharpen the program and keep diehard fans like me donating $6,500 a year. Obviously, that's the deal. It's entertainment and our favorite team. Win or lose.
Plus I think it strengthens our recruiting to play top teams although GCG disagrees and thinks wins/losses are the better avenue with the Brown's, MVSU, Robert Morris', etc. Of course, GCG was hired staff for football and was responsible for only 1 recruit that mostly panned out. Thankfully, he is no longer with the program.

BTW, you can pretty much purchase any ticket in the upper bowl right now. Yea I know there is a waiting list but it's a marketing ploy. When they announce the schedule, I firmly believe the place will sell out. Most lower bowl sections still have seats as well except for the corners.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I think that CC had a decent schedule put together last year. And with the increased sacrifice from fans, it is refreshing to see that CC and Phillips have decided to move this program into the "Big School" league by scheduling "Top" Teams this year. Duke won't be the only one. IMO, they have to do this if they want to sharpen the program and keep diehard fans like me donating $6,500 a year. Obviously, that's the deal. It's entertainment and our favorite team. Win or lose.
Plus I think it strengthens our recruiting to play top teams although GCG disagrees and thinks wins/losses are the better avenue with the Brown's, MVSU, Robert Morris', etc. Of course, GCG was hired staff for football and was responsible for only 1 recruit that mostly panned out. Thankfully, he is no longer with the program.
I'll give you credit for standing by this Duke thing. You'll either look very in the know, or very dumb...neither of which would surprise me.

I've seen it mentioned in two places that Duke is the opening opponent next season -- once, in this thread by Turk and once in another thread by Turk.
And now a third time by ... Turk?

Yikes!

Back under the bridge please.

Reactions: EvanstonCat

I don't know. This could be viewed as a compliment.

Mystic might be getting a raw deal by the board.

I'll give you credit for standing by this Duke thing. You'll either look very in the know, or very dumb...neither of which would surprise me.
Oh I have never been accused of being smart. And it could fall apart like the PG commit, but a good friend said that Duke was the #1 target to open the arena and that Duke had to work some things out but such things should be (expected to be) worked out by June. Maybe that is what Teddy is subtly referring too.

Oh I have never been accused of being smart. And it could fall apart like the PG commit, but a good friend said that Duke was the #1 target to open the arena and that Duke had to work some things out but such things should be (expected to be) worked out by June. Maybe that is what Teddy is subtly referring too.
Mah man....yuge difference between "my buddy says Duke is the #1 target" vs. "commonly known" that Duke would be it.

Woops.

Hmm,,,,how should I respond to this post? I wonder.... Hmm.... OK, after much contemplation, I think I'll have to go with--wait for it--- Carmody sucks!

As an isolated post, that may be true. The problem is that every single one of your posts do that. It grows tiring after a while. You are not really trying to be a productive member of this community. You are just shitting on everything.

When I do that, at least its in the context of an emotional game where I am not rational and probably should be restrained. Whereas for you, it seems to be your default state on this board. But you know all this, so I'm not sure why I am even responding.

Yup, you took the bait. Only correct responses to Mystic are a) none and b) post that makes fun of him.

Reactions: Fitz51
Yup, you took the bait. Only correct responses to Mystic are a) none and b) post that makes fun of him.
I know, I know. And I preach it all the time with other posters too. Sometimes that wriggly worm looks soooo tasty.

Yikes!

Playing nine conference games plus Duke and Notre Dame in football. Real cupcake schedule all right.

Playing nine conference games plus Duke and Notre Dame in football. Real cupcake schedule all right.

“Plus Duke”!

That’s hilarious. Their synonymous with football ineptitude much in the same way we are at hoop.

I guess when you lose back to back home games to western Michigan and Illinois st, ramping up the non conference schedule should probably be put on hold indefinitely.

And let’s not forget, “the conference” is only the big ten after all.

Check our season ending computer rankings if your still confused about how challenging our fb schedules have been.

“Plus Duke”!

That’s hilarious. Their synonymous with football ineptitude much in the same way we are at hoop.

I guess when you lose back to back home games to western Michigan and Illinois st, ramping up the non conference schedule should probably be put on hold indefinitely.

Check our season ending computer rankings if your still confused about how challenging our fb schedules have been.

You’re both insufferable and grammatically challenged.

“Plus Duke”!

You're an idiot. They were a bowl team and nothing to laugh at. Your analogy is spot on I guess. Our hoops team isn't anything close to a perennial power and had a dark and dismal history, but now they are turning it around to become a consistently winning program with post-season expectations every year and are on the rise with a great coach who was a lot better than the last one.

For those keep score. Duke has been in a bowl game 5 of the last 6 years and has a conference divisional title in that span. So, I'd say except for the derisional tone and intent, Mystic's analogy is apt.

Last edited:
You're an idiot. They were a bowl team and nothing to laugh at. Your analogy is spot on I guess. Our hoops team isn't anything close to a perennial power and had a dark and dismal history, but now they are turning it around to become a consistently winning program with post-season expectations every year and are on the rise with a great coach who was a lot better than the last one.

For those keep score. Duke has been in a bowl game 5 of the last 6 years and has a conference title in that span. So, I'd say except for the derisional tone and intent, Mystic's analogy is apt.

Duke has been in a bowl game 5 of the last 6 years and has a conference title in that span.
———————

Nope.

But bowls are a big deal, I’ll give you that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT