ADVERTISEMENT

Angelo Brizzi

Villanova Freshman point guard Angelo Brizzi has just entered the transfer portal. Received an NU offer out of high school. Might be someone to keep an eye on.
He’s obviously looking for more playing time so it entirely depends on if Buie will be back at NU next season (he has another year of eligibility). If he’s not back, then Brizzi’s only competition at PG next season will be true freshman Jordan Clayton.

Reactions: PaCat
I’d be all over him if I’m CCC.

Agree. But CC is coaching for his job, I wonder how far down the road he’s thinking. If he makes the tourney this year (so far looks like an actual possibility) then he stays. Anything else (except maybe a 20 win season and first four out) and I think CC is gone.

Must be some anger there leaving mid-year. Had quite an offer list. Villanova was an interesting selection. Obviously a strong program but the school's urban location is an acquired taste. As far as Collins goes, by bringing in a good transfer he would make his case for keeping his job stronger. Difficult to believe a transfer would come until they had more clarity on NU's coaching situation going forward.

Agree. But CC is coaching for his job, I wonder how far down the road he’s thinking. If he makes the tourney this year (so far looks like an actual possibility) then he stays. Anything else (except maybe a 20 win season and first four out) and I think CC is gone.

He’s surely thinking about next season and actively recruiting for the future.

Reactions: drewjin
No anger, seems like he wants to play and Justin Moore is coming back soon.

I don't know for certain but unlikely that a mid-season transfer would be allowed to play at the new school. So what is the point of leaving? Perhaps leaving before the old coach uses up a year of your eligibility using you for two minutes at the end of games? I can see that.

He would not be eligible until 2023-2024.

A lot of the 24's are starting to commit early and use up the scholarships, so he probably is trying to get his name out there. I saw West Virginia is interested.

Elliot Cadeau just committed to North Carolina early.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Must be some anger there leaving mid-year. Had quite an offer list. Villanova was an interesting selection. Obviously a strong program but the school's urban location is an acquired taste. As far as Collins goes, by bringing in a good transfer he would make his case for keeping his job stronger. Difficult to believe a transfer would come until they had more clarity on NU's coaching situation going forward.
I know it wasn’t the main point of your post, but Villanova is not in an urban location. (Maybe you’re thinking of Temple or Penn?) Any adjustment to the school ‘s location, if any, would be that it is surrounded by residential suburban wealth. Evanston is way more urban than the town of Villanova and as a result has a lot more directly off campus that in my view would interest students. I’m hoping he checks it out.

Villanova is suburban. On the blue route or main line. It's a nice campus. I lived in Bryan mawr which is 10-15 minutes away from Villanova.

I know it wasn’t the main point of your post, but Villanova is not in an urban location. (Maybe you’re thinking of Temple or Penn?) Any adjustment to the school ‘s location, if any, would be that it is surrounded by residential suburban wealth. Evanston is way more urban than the town of Villanova and as a result has a lot more directly off campus that in my view would interest students. I’m hoping he checks it out.

Was thinking of Temple. Mea culpa.

Reactions: PaCat
Boy have things changed...in the 60's freshman were not allowed to play. Now if they don't play immediately they transfer before their freshman year is over. LU lost to George Washington yesterday they have 1 player who came in as a freshman. The rest of the team are transfers from P5s,LSU,Conneticut, Maryland, Southern Miss, Nebraska and on and on.
So what should a schools' recruiting plan be.... retool every year with experienced transfers? or recruit freshman but only ones who will get major playing time their freshman year? or continue to recruit freshman even if they are not ready their first year and hope they will stay and develop? or some crazy combination? Things certainly have changed.

It seems these days coaches are contacting the players and leaving the parents out of the important conversations. Players forget they are student athletes and getting an education should come first for 95 percent

Also. It harder now with the portal, but they don't look at the roster. So if I am an incoming freshman guard and the team I am going to has 2 soph, and 1 junior guard, I might not want to go to the school because I might sit a couple of years.

The other 5 percent are going to go pro and they a looking for a different situation.

Take the kid that left for Texas. He could have stayed here, been leader, played with a teammate from high school and got a great education. U stead he got rd shifted and Texas added one of the top guards in 2024, plus the coach has issues with the law.

It seems these days coaches are contacting the players and leaving the parents out of the important conversations. Players forget they are student athletes and getting an education should come first for 95 percent

Also. It harder now with the portal, but they don't look at the roster. So if I am an incoming freshman guard and the team I am going to has 2 soph, and 1 junior guard, I might not want to go to the school because I might sit a couple of years.

The other 5 percent are going to go pro and they a looking for a different situation.

Take the kid that left for Texas. He could have stayed here, been leader, played with a teammate from high school and got a great education. U stead he got rd shifted and Texas added one of the top guards in 2024, plus the coach has issues with the law.

Very well said. Who knows maybe said freshman redshirt might find his way back to NU next season. Stranger things have happened.

I hate to think that as this seems to be CCCs best coaching job since the tourney team. (20 wins seems a high bar as it requires at least 11 wins in the BIG of which some could be in BTT and that would be pretty much of a lock for dance) While he is supposedly playing for his job, there should be more leeway than that.

Well they already have a class for 2023. They have also offered some players for 2024, so he is looking down the road.

I think people forget the covid years were hard to recruit for all colleges.. and the year NU had no gym on campus hurt them. Asst. Coaches and team managers could not work with the players.

In todays college basketball world, you build up poor programs with transfers. Not high school recruits that you have to develop and hope they ( and you as the coach) are still around when/if the become players.

I remember when Davidson was a power under Lefty Driesel
Davidson was really strong throughout most of Bob McKillop's long tenure as well. It looks like McKillop's son just took over for him this year, which has been rocky so far.

Davidson was really strong throughout most of Bob McKillop's long tenure as well. It looks like McKillop's son just took over for him this year, which has been rocky so far.
They were good last year. I didn't know McKillop retired this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT