ADVERTISEMENT

Anthony Gaines targeted with hate

DaCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
From Twitter, our own Anthony Gaines had to deal with some ugly racism while minding his own business.

Thanks for posting.

My true hope is in five or ten years we'll look back on this week ... this discussion as the foundation of true improvement and better equality. I hope this period of time is able to connect with the right people who are able to tackle this with the incredible complexity that's needed.

Read the comments, especially those from former players.

How proud are we of the quality of the human beings that go through this program. Anthony is a great example, but one of many.

Hmmmm...let's see. He was in a car and a woman flipped him off and because she did that and because she had a Trump bumper sticker, that must mean she flipped him off because he's black? Yeah.

Given that we have had literally hundreds of "hate crime" hoaxes, particularly involving college students over the past several years, I would exercise a bit of skepticism in claims like this, particularly on social media.

Did he get the license plate number?

Hmmmm...let's see. He was in a car and a woman flipped him off and because she did that and because she had a Trump bumper sticker, that must mean she flipped him off because he's black? Yeah.

Given that we have had literally hundreds of "hate crime" hoaxes, particularly involving college students over the past several years, I would exercise a bit of skepticism in claims like this, particularly on social media.

So, let's give the woman who unprovoked gives the finger to strangers the benefit of the doubt.

Some impressive mental gymnastics right there.

Let's now form into breakout groups and come up with other, legitimate reasons that Anthony Gaines deserved to be given the finger by a complete stranger.

The only hoax I see are your lying thoughts. Oh, it sounded like the police got the license number.

Spoken like a Domer.

FFS - Did you read to the part where she followed them and the police showed up? If you think he is lying, FOIA the records and report back to us. You might get a big win.

Reactions: Fitz51
This is a battle to frame the situation in one of two ways:
1) There are bad apples and we will deal with this=It's only about GF
2) This was the tipping point that made people jump into action. Social injustice is everywhere and minorities suffer it the most. GF was just the tip of the iceberg. Discrimination, inequality, lack of healthcare, white privilege, etc, etc, etc. Fundamental social justice needs to be balanced.

If you are on the side of 1), there's a good chance you are, at a minimum, an implicit racist.

Reactions: Fitz51 and NUCat320
He was minding his own business and a backwards trump supporter gave him the finger for no reason. I’d be upset too. I know this is rant board stuff but this country can do better than this buffoon in office and to not condone these shenanigans. Good to see Gaines take the high road

So, let's give the woman who unprovoked gives the finger to strangers the benefit of the doubt.

Some impressive mental gymnastics right there.

Let's now form into breakout groups and come up with other, legitimate reasons that Anthony Gaines deserved to be given the finger by a complete stranger.

The obvious mental gymnastics here is the jump from someone allegedly giving him the finger in traffic to it being a "hate crime." Am I correct in reading this that the finger and the Trump bumper sticker? Boy, why would any thinking person question this?

2) This was the tipping point that made people jump into action. Social injustice is everywhere and minorities suffer it the most. GF was just the tip of the iceberg. Discrimination, inequality, lack of healthcare, white privilege, etc, etc, etc. Fundamental social justice needs to be balanced.

If you are on the side of 1), there's a good chance you are, at a minimum, an implicit racist.

Whew! You rolled out a lot of woke newspeak in one paragraph! You did forget "systemic racism," though. And "equity." That's a must.

Well done as well in labeling people with whom you disagree as racists! Intelligent stuff! I look forward to the evidence and data upon which this belief system is based!

FFS - Did you read to the part where she followed them and the police showed up? If you think he is lying, FOIA the records and report back to us. You might get a big win.

Great! Has she been arrested?

One thing we know for certain: giving the finger and following people is rare on the highways and biways of American roads! Coupled with the guy quoted in your signature line, I would certainly assume this was a "hate crime!"

The obvious mental gymnastics here is the jump from someone allegedly giving him the finger in traffic to it being a "hate crime." Am I correct in reading this that the finger and the Trump bumper sticker? Boy, why would any thinking person question this?

This is a Northwestern fan board, right?

I'd say rationalizing how one of our athletes might be to blame for being the target of profane gesture....bumper sticker or no bumper sticker, is pretty twisted.

High degree of difficulty.

Unless, of course, it's the sort to thing you attempt every day.

GatoLouco said:

Whew! You rolled out a lot of woke newspeak in one paragraph! You did forget "systemic racism," though. And "equity." That's a must.

Well done as well in labeling people with whom you disagree as racists! Intelligent stuff! I look forward to the evidence and data upon which this belief system is based!
[/quote]
You are part of the problem.

This is a Northwestern fan board, right?

I'd say rationalizing how one of our athletes might be to blame for being the target of profane gesture....bumper sticker or no bumper sticker, is pretty twisted.

High degree of difficulty.

Unless, of course, it's the sort to thing you attempt every day.

Nice pivot! Nice strawman! I think we can all agree that I clearly stated that Gaines deserved a profane gesture on the highway!

You are part of the problem.[/QUOTE]

Well reasoned!

How long do you reckon it would take for the executions to commence if you folks gained total power? I'd say about five minutes! The rest of the unbaptized would be bound for the reeducation camps in Woke Gibberish instruction!

GatoLouco said:

You are part of the problem.[/QUOTE]

Well reasoned!

How long do you reckon it would take for the executions to commence if you folks gained total power? I'd say about five minutes! The rest of the unbaptized would be bound for the reeducation camps in Woke Gibberish instruction!
[/quote]
Thanks. Very humbled by your praise.

Reactions: NUCat320
I think the interesting thing here is Cometclear...is why you are upset about thins? what is it that make you want to fight on a fan blog....what are you really angry about....and why would you choose either to think that Anthony Gaines is lying or that his experience is immaterial....or that having to be approached by police while playing basketball is usual? So do you think Anthony is over reacting and his feeling are not legitimate or do you think some shadow group made up the whole thing....or Anthony is just lying ???? and again why the anger??? Do you even know?..

Nice pivot! Nice strawman! I think we can all agree that I clearly stated that Gaines deserved a profane gesture on the highway!

No, you're on the NU fan board arguing...what....exactly?

That a 21 year-old (highly intelligent, if you've ever chatted with him) black man minding his own business, is reckless to imagine that the act of complete stranger giving him the finger is racially motivated?

The act of women in cars profanely gesturing at men is so common, we should reserve judgement and not ascribe any motivation.

The fact that the car in which she rode had a Trump bumper sticker is only significant in that Anthony Gaines used its existence to leap to a conclusion that none of us can make. Absent that bumper sticker, the act can't be construed as racist. The fact that Gaines and people on this board make a connection between a white woman giving a black man the finger and the presence of a Trump bumper sticker says a lot about them and nothing about her.

Got it. Sharp as a meatball.

And then followed him to the gym. Got that???

Reactions: DaCat
I think the interesting thing here is Cometclear...is why you are upset about thins? what is it that make you want to fight on a fan blog....what are you really angry about....and why would you choose either to think that Anthony Gaines is lying or that his experience is immaterial....or that having to be approached by police while playing basketball is usual? So do you think Anthony is over reacting and his feeling are not legitimate or do you think some shadow group made up the whole thing....or Anthony is just lying ???? and again why the anger??? Do you even know?..

Yes, I'm raging mad. Furious!

As usual, expressing skepticism about claims elicits anger and hostility. Because this young man is on "our team" and because it likely comports with the worldview of some that there are these marauding white people out looking to victimize black folks, let's accept the interpretation of what was going on in someone else's head and offer platitudes about societal injustice based upon this case. That's pretty typical behavior, isn't it? White women targeting black men, right? The data we have indicates this, yes?

A twenty-year old college student was the recipient of the finger from a road rager, who allegedly followed him, behavior that occurs everyday on our highways across the country. Oh, and there was a Trump bumper sticker on the rager's car. Therefore, this was a "hate incident." Does that appear to be a sound, logical conclusion to draw from the information so far?

And then followed him to the gym. Got that???

Yeah, Willy, you don't need to yell. Again, road rage behavior is common on our streets and highways. Would you like wall-to-wall videos of this sort of behavior happening everyday in our country?

This is what you said:

"He was in a car and a woman flipped him off and because she did that and because she had a Trump bumper sticker, that must mean she flipped him off because he's black?"

So, no, you didn't say he deserved a profane gesture. But you did imply that she flipped him off for a reason aside from the fact that he is black, and, in doing so, cast doubt on his version of events at best, and insinuated that he was purposely lying at worst.

What do you think the other reason might be for her to not only flip them off, but proceed to follow them to the gym? Did the police arrive by coincidence?

By the way, speaking of strawmen, you are literally the only person using the phrase "hate crime," which of course has very specific laws around it, versus the general label of "hate" that is synonymous with "prejudice" and "racism."

Last edited:
No, you're on the NU fan board arguing...what....exactly?

That a 21 year-old (highly intelligent, if you've ever chatted with him) black man minding his own business, is reckless to imagine that the act of complete stranger giving him the finger is racially motivated?

The act of women in cars profanely gesturing at men is so common, we should reserve judgement and not ascribe any motivation.

The fact that the car in which she rode had a Trump bumper sticker is only significant in that Anthony Gaines used its existence to leap to a conclusion that none of us can make. Absent that bumper sticker, the act can't be construed as racist. The fact that Gaines and people on this board make a connection between a white woman giving a black man the finger and the presence of a Trump bumper sticker says a lot about them and nothing about her.

Got it. Sharp as a meatball.

You have no idea what occurred on the road preceding this. He may have been "minding his own business," or there may have been some vehicle maneuver or behavior by one or both parties that initiated this. You're attempting to pass off your conjecture as fact, and not just conjecture, but biased conjecture. What you wish to be true. Has there been a citation issued or an arrest? Any witnesses apart from the people in the cars?

Yes, Polpetta, quite shockingly, thousands of female drivers hurl profanities and make profane gestures on our roadways. I'm heartened that your eyes and ears have never been blighted with that sort of horror. Sit down for a moment and take all this in. Deep breaths.

Yes, as we know, Trump supporters are bigoted. Therefore, when they get into arguments with members of minority groups, it's probably based upon their bigotry. Good thinking on both counts.

You have no idea what occurred on the road preceding this. He may have been "minding his own business," or there may have been some vehicle maneuver or behavior by one or both parties that initiated this. You're attempting to pass off your conjecture as fact, and not just conjecture, but biased conjecture. What you wish to be true. Has there been a citation issued or an arrest? Any witnesses apart from the people in the cars?

Yes, Polpetta, quite shockingly, thousands of female drivers hurl profanities and make profane gestures on our roadways. I'm heartened that your eyes and ears have never been blighted with that sort of horror. Sit down for a moment and take all this in. Deep breaths.

Yes, as we know, Trump supporters are bigoted. Therefore, when they get into arguments with members of minority groups, it's probably based upon their bigotry. Good thinking on both counts.
Well not all Trump supporters are bigots but most are uneducated and your proving that with your arsine comments.

This is what you said:

"He was in a car and a woman flipped him off and because she did that and because she had a Trump bumper sticker, that must mean she flipped him off because he's black?"

So, no, you didn't say he deserved a profane gesture. But you did imply that she flipped him off for a reason aside from the fact that he is black, and, in doing so, cast doubt on his version of events at best, and insinuated that he was purposely lying at worst.

What do you think the other reason might be for her to not only flip them off, but proceed to follow them to the gym? Did the police arrive by coincidence?

You could be honorable and just admit that you made something up that I did not say nor imply, but now you've invested yourself so much into this little argument that you're going to go down with the ship, logic and occam's razor be damned.

So, what we allegedly have is a raving, racist lunatic who targeted Gaines because he is black. Did you see mention of racial epithets? That's odd, because one would expect a raving racist to hurl them without reservations in this sort of situation.

I'm not sure if you're feigning ignorance or just really sheltered, but road rage behavior is incredibly common. Go to YouTube and you will find entire road rage channels. Updated everyday! Many of the offenders being women! Sometimes following people to confront them or start fights.

Then again, instead of approaching this logically, let's use mind-reading techniques and irrelevant evidence, like a bumper sticker, to draw conclusions.

Well not all Trump supporters are bigots but most are uneducated and your proving that with your arsine comments.

"Asinine"

You're doing no favors for the educated with your posts. Instead of countering with reasoned points, you make a sweeping generalization about Trump voters. Which fact have I misstated? Which particular point I've made is illogical?

BTW, are you willing to label other groups of people as "uneducated?" What about racial groups? Are Asians more educated, in general, than blacks? If you're going to spew this stuff, you should be prepared to do it in a consistent way, otherwise you yourself will seem kind of dull and cowardly.

In anticipation, no I did not vote for Trump and will not vote for him. He's a moral embarrassment.

You're doing no favors for the educated with your posts. Instead of countering with reasoned points, you make a sweeping generalization about Trump voters. Which fact have I misstated? Which particular point I've made is illogical?

BTW, are you willing to label other groups of people as "uneducated?" What about racial groups? Are Asians more educated, in general, than blacks? If you're going to spew this stuff, you should be prepared to do it in a consistent way, otherwise you yourself will seem kind of dull and cowardly

Careful making willy think so hard...he doesn’t handle it well.

"Asinine"

BTW, are you willing to label other groups of people as "uneducated?" What about racial groups? Are Asians more educated, in general, than blacks? If you're going to spew this stuff, you should be prepared to do it in a consistent way, otherwise you yourself will seem kind of dull and cowardly.

In anticipation, no I did not vote for Trump and will not vote for him. He's a moral embarrassment.
Trump has stated on numerous occasions that he likes the uneducated.

Trump has stated on numerous occasions that he likes the uneducated.

It's one of the very few, if not only, Christian statements he's ever made. Sadly, the Dems increasingly employ language and tone that looks down upon the poor, a product of an unearned sense of superiority from bourgeois bumnozzles. It was once a party of Jackson, William Jennings Bryan, FDR, who regarded the poor and less educated with reverence. Now, most of the rhetoric is offered up by effete, urban snobs who think their virtue signaling makes them better people.

As usual, expressing skepticism about claims elicits anger and hostility. Because this young man is on "our team" and because it likely comports with the worldview of some that there are these marauding white people out looking to victimize black folks, let's accept the interpretation of what was going on in someone else's head and offer platitudes about societal injustice based upon this case. That's pretty typical behavior, isn't it? White women targeting black men, right? The data we have indicates this, yes?

A twenty-year old college student was the recipient of the finger from a road rager, who allegedly followed him, behavior that occurs everyday on our highways across the country. Oh, and there was a Trump bumper sticker on the rager's car. Therefore, this was a "hate incident." Does that appear to be a sound, logical conclusion to draw from the information so far?

What do you make of the police cars that arrived at the gym afterwards, cc? Is that a normal part of road rage? That seems to indicate something other than just somebody getting pissed at someone else on the highway and flipping them off.

It's one of the very few, if not only, Christian statements he's ever made. Sadly, the Dems increasingly employ language and tone that looks down upon the poor, a product of an unearned sense of superiority from bourgeois bumnozzles. It was once a party of Jackson, William Jennings Bryan, FDR, who regarded the poor and less educated with reverence. Now, most of the rhetoric is offered up by effete, urban snobs who think their virtue signaling makes them better people.
Christian statement? What the hell are you talking about???

You all are missing the point here.

At one level the gesture given to Anthony and his mates is a level of disrespect. Who knows what happened to instigate it, but giving the finger in following anthony to the gym is a racial taunt - is a personal taunt, creepy, unwarranted (and likely racially motivated).

The BIGGER issue is the implication of FOUR police cars arriving unsolicited to the gym at which Anthony and his mates were just looking to ball. Thankfully nothing escalated, but why in the world should anyone have to live with the shadow of being questioned on their intent for doing something otherwise normal course for any white youth. And in light of what all is going on with respect to the racial tension between authority wielding law enforcement and individuals of color protecting their rights, there should be outrage.

It reminds me of the story published in the NYT about a woman of color who tells her story of having the police called on her when she goes to a remote public birding site that borders predominantly white residences. In both cases, the police arrive to "investigate" and thankfully leave without incident. But in both cases, the show of force and reminder of one's place in the world is undeniable. Beyond the hassle of having to put up with this scrutiny from watchful eyes, Anthony and many people of color do absolutely nothing to invite this risk into their lives.

It sucks, and for those that do not understand these issues and how they go well beyond the normal "disrespect" one individual can convey to another - welcome to White Privilege... Weaponizing hatred through the police should never be tolerated. For our country, these issues are long overdue as they should have been resolved in the Reconstruction following the Civil War. Now on the the Rant Board. LOL

To the ignore list, you go. Try not to pass your ideas to any future generations, please.

During this week ... in this atmosphere ... in the course of these events, you're going to overly-intellectualize this and play the spin game? You're going to do it this week, Cometclear?

Your timing alone demonstrates poor choices. I don't have time for it anymore. Ramble on all you want.

I hope this issue finds the right people. It needs to be addressed on so many levels by truly serious people - not pretenders playing news network games of partisan politics and answering questions with more accusatory questions. It's too complex an issue and too important to continue with the usual.

Before you get get too twisted out of shape and hurt yourself trying to defend this woman, try to look at the incident as it is presented by the victim. It's a car full of four young black guys, at least one of whom is a big 6-4 200+ D1 athlete. I'm not racist, but I personally would exercise caution before making that kind of aggressive attack, being outnumbered as she was. The woman, who apparently is by herself, pulls up next to them to give them the finger. About what? Anthony said he was surprised, and thought it was pretty random. She proceeds to follow them, and calls the cops on them. So why is the black man's word doubted? It sure strikes me as another "Central Park Karen" incident. I respect Anthony Gaines, and I doubt he would make up this story or his feelings of being threatened.

During this week ... in this atmosphere ... in the course of these events, you're going to overly-intellectualize this and play the spin game? You're going to do it this week, Cometclear?

Your timing alone demonstrates poor choices. I don't have time for it anymore. Ramble on all you want.

I hope this issue finds the right people. It needs to be addressed on so many levels by truly serious people - not pretenders playing news network games of partisan politics and answering questions with more accusatory questions. It's too complex an issue and too important to continue with the usual.
Really well said. So many topics on this board end up being hijacked by folks who just want to spin things their way (whether it's something trivial like Carmodv v. Collins or something more serious). This is not the topic or the time for it. People clearly enjoy being assholes on message boards. Give it a rest, Cometclear.

This would hurt at any time. It's especially tough right now. And 21 years ago TODAY, Bobby Russ, shortly before he was to graduate, drove toward home to take his mother to a movie.

You are part of the problem.

Well reasoned!

How long do you reckon it would take for the executions to commence if you folks gained total power? I'd say about five minutes! The rest of the unbaptized would be bound for the reeducation camps in Woke Gibberish instruction![/QUOTE]
Go away troll.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT